Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am lovin' the way the chrome tail light bezels are lookin' on my Dixi's backside...but thinking down the road aways, I realize that some day they will deteriorate and I'll have to remove/replace them...which led me to wonder:

What's the best technique for removing items from a vehicle that are attached using 3M tape?

And while I was pondering, I realized that I have also attached some pieces (such as the billet window switch plates) using the clear silicon. Any good methods to remove pieces attached with that stuff?

Thanks in advance, bros...

·
Registered
294 Posts
with the pressure sensitive adhesive stuff (3M) I would not use anything harsher than alcohol or WD40 on any plastic or painted surfaces. A soft scraper may help but it may scratch also, just use your fingers to rub and fingernails to scrape the adhesive off.
I just removed a dealers badge from a car (not my stang) and used WD40 and a paper towl to rub off the residual sticky, it let some very small rub marks and dulled the finish some. I just put some wax on it and walked away. btw, paper towles are mede from trees and will scratch paint.

silicon, you either did a poor job of prepping and appling the silicon or you did a good job at it. If you did a good job then you are stuck good. :tongue
Razor blades work well, especially on glass and smooth metals, for brushed metals scotch brite and wire brushes work ok, just rub in the direction of the grain. I wouldn't do this on any interior parts though, they are probably clear coated. I don't know of any solvents to safely remove silicon, but it can almost always just be rubbed off with your hands, and maybe a soft shop towl. Using anything but your fingers to rub silicon off plastic will probably marr the finish some. It will help if the area wasn't prepped well. It won't be that bad to get off.

before you commit to something just ask yourself if you would do this if there were nothing on the part. For instance, would you really clean your hood with a wire brush?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brnrkm: That is very helpful...thanks much. I have just printed out your advice and am putting it in the Dixi Folder for future reference.

I think your post also convinced me not to do any more of those exterior emblems ("V6," "Stang", etc.). I put the SCT emblem that came with the Steeda CAI on the left front quarter panel, but when it comes down to choosing between that stuff and the overall paint job/finish, it's no contest...

Thanks again for the response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts