Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I've just turned over 1k on the odometer on my car and I'm starting to notice ache in my arms from having to reach so far to grab the steering wheel. I've tried adjusting the seat all over the place, but if I get any closer my legs are folded! Has anyone successfully modded the steering wheel to get it closer to the driver? I love this car, but I'm going to have to leave it in the driveway for drives longer than ~1hr if I can't get this resolved!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
have you tried resting your left arm on the arm rest or the window sill and driving with only a few fingers on the wheel and cruise control on.
sometimes, i am holding the wheel at the bottom. not to bad on log drives. but, mostly my left arm is on the rest or window and my right arm is usually resting on the E-brake.

one thing i will be getting soon is a dead pedal for my left foot.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Are you kidding? Is there such a mod? Never seen a telescoping steering column....I'd like to see pics.

Umm.... You are too tall, try taking your shoes off...
(sorry, couldn't resist):kooky:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should qualify my comments above: I need the mod so that I can drive with my hands on either side of the wheel. I can sit with my hands in my lap and let the wheel down so that I can steer like that for highway cruising, but I'm talking about REALLY DRIVING!

And I'm asking: IS THERE SUCH A MOD? (And I'm only 5'11", so maybe I just have short arms???)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm tall as well and I would love to see a tilt/telescoping option for this car. Maybe if enough of us squeal we can get someone (even Ford) to come up with something. It's kind of like the lowrider passenger seat.

·
Registered
785 Posts
It's an endless struggle with this car, getting comfy. Once you're there, it just needs a little more tilt and Kablooeee!!! Time to start all over again.....

I'm still not ready to leave it.. better to look good than to feel good.

·
Registered
897 Posts
JEB said:
Are you kidding? Is there such a mod? Never seen a telescoping steering column....I'd like to see pics.

Umm.... You are too tall, try taking your shoes off...
(sorry, couldn't resist):kooky:
Do you mean in a mustang or ever? My dads' 75 Olds 98 had a tilt and telescoping wheel.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
GMs done this in many cars.

COrvettes and even now in the GTOs

·
Registered
897 Posts
Kyle F said:
RPM said:
CFO of my Corporate office is named: **** Wacker. True.
Can someone PM me on how to make that appear as a quote?
It seems to work here
VB code is probably turned off in the SIG.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I wish they'd made it telescope as well. Just a little closer to the steering wheel would be nice, but my knees won't fit under the dash then. Still, it's the most comfortable car I've ever driven, even allowing for the long reach.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My first new Ford had a telescoping feature... the whole column, instrument cluster and dash-surround pulled towards you... It was a new '89 GT Probe... great little car with some neat options back in the day...

The only uncomfortabe spot I've discovered in my Stang is where my knee mashes against the side of the center console area. I guess this is one area where I can be thankful I am only 5'-8". Just those wooden blocks keep slipping off the pedals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.