Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new member here and I have a question if you don't mind.

I was a teenager in the 1980s when these old Mustangs were still very common and one of my friends told me the way to tell them apart was that the 64 1/2 had no chrome piece behind the door, the 65 did and the 66 had the chrome piece with three prongs coming off it, so for a good 38 years now, I believed that was a sure fire way to tell them apart.
As I'm doing some personal research for a hobby site of mine, I'm beginning to seriously doubt this. I see models from all three years sporting either none or one of the other two. Now, it's a little piece that I'm sure can be easily removed and in reverse, added on.
Is that the case? So far, the only other difference I see is that the 66 has back-up lights whereas the 64 /12 and 65 did not. Was the chrome piece like an appearance option or was it indeed as my buddy taught all those years ago?
mustang65side (Custom).jpg mustang64fr2 (Custom).jpg mustang66fr (Custom).jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,840 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.

We’re glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

Reactions: my89foxbody

·
Registered
215 Posts
Gearhead52, that's how I understand it too, but considering 95% of Mustangs are customized or modified in some way from factory original, or like rickyracer1983 said, special ordered at the factory, there are exceptions to the rule.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Base model '65s have that dash too (mine has the one pictured). The difference is the '64.5 has a "GEN" light, and the '65 has an "ALT" light. I think the "round gauge" instrument panel was a GT option for '65, and all of the '66s got them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I found one way to determine a 641/2 from a 65 model, a buddy in high school had a Mustang coupe and had a special license plate with '65" on it.
I noticed sitting behind the wheel and looking over the hood/fenders that compared to my '66 something didn't look quite right.
So, we decoded the vin and discovered he had a 64 1/2 all along.

Since the 65 and the 66 are 'technically' use the same hood fender setup now, the early 64-1/2 hood/front fenders from the driver seat reminded me of a buddy's Galaxie.
It was more of a flat center on the hood verses my 66's raised center of the hood and was more flat from hood center out to the fenders edges on either side.

It's a very slight change and hard to notice, if you ever can compare the two you may see what I mean.
I heard that was changed later in production not sure when to what the 65/66 hood/fenders look like now.

Yall ever heard of or seen this? It was new to me at the time, I've read it since but don't remember where.
T

·
Headquarters
229 Posts
Base model '65s have that dash too (mine has the one pictured). The difference is the '64.5 has a "GEN" light, and the '65 has an "ALT" light. I think the "round gauge" instrument panel was a GT option for '65, and all of the '66s got them.
That's interesting. Do you think it's possible that the earlier '65s had the rectangular speedo while the late '65s already got the round one?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Very possible. Everyone talks about the 69 1/2 Stangs, Mavs, etc, because you can tell the difference between them. 69 1/2 (which is VINed as a 70) still has a metal door tag and key in the dash. 70, Blue sticker and key in the locking column. Some say the 351C was never in any 69 Fords or Mercurys, but they were installed at the very end of the 69 manufacture run. Very few, but it was done. Just as also 2 Cougars got 429 Boss engines and so did 2 69 Torinos.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'd also say it's very possible. The hole in the dash is the same size, so to put the round gauge cluster in an early car is a "bolt in". One would only have to separate the turn signal inputs, as that early cluster only has one indicator (not a right and a left) for turn signal "on". That early cluster is also used in the Falcon.

·
Headquarters
229 Posts
I'd also say it's very possible. The hole in the dash is the same size, so to put the round gauge cluster in an early car is a "bolt in". One would only have to separate the turn signal inputs, as that early cluster only has one indicator (not a right and a left) for turn signal "on". That early cluster is also used in the Falcon.
So that explains the single dash indicator

1 - 12 of 12 Posts