Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so lets be realistic. how hard is it to put a terminator supercharger on a new edge? i can pick up the supercharger for less then a grand. what other pieces would i need to buy and would would i need to make/modify for it to work, if it even could or would.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Too many modifications are need like timing covers and countless bolt on parts like pulleys etc.. It's a pretty big undertaking! Here's a friends compiled list (Top is Ford Part #'s)

1.) 2R3Z-6312-BAA Crank pulley /Harmonic Balancer
2.) 2R3Z-6C254-BC Supercharger Crank drive pulley
3.) 2R3Z-8678-BA Pulley w/mount Replaces stk alt. Pulley
4.) 2R3Z-8B603-BB Pulley bridge assembly for S.C.
5.) 1L2Z-8678-AB Idler pulley,timing cover LH side
6.) 2R3Z-6D080-BC Timing cover
7.) 2R3Z-6020-AA Timing cover gasket LH side
8.) 2R3Z-6020-BA Timing cover gasket middle
9.) 2R3Z-6020-CA Timing cover gasket RH side
10.) 2R3Z-10A313-AB Upper alternator bracket
11.) 2R3Z-10153-BA Lower alternator bracket
12.) 1U2Z-14S411-TA Electrical connector (alt. to harmness )
13.) 2R3Z-6B209-AA Tensioner on timing cover
14.) 2R3Z-8260-AB Radiator hose
15.) 2R3Z-8A593-AB Radiator hose
16.) 2R3Z-8K576-AA Radiator hose
17.) 2R3Z-8286-AB Water cross over pipe
18.) F8ZZ-6881-AA Cobra oil cooler adapter
Note: Use your stock gasket from your adapter or a leak will occur
with a Cobra gasket!
19.) 2R3Z-6A642-AA Cobra Oil cooler
20. 2R3Z-9002-AA Cobra fuel tank
21.) 2R3Z-9H307-AB Cobra fuel pump
22.) 2R3Z-6F066-AA Eaton supercharger & inlet / T.B.
23.) 2R3Z-9424-BB Lower intake
24.) 2R3Z-6K775-BA Garrett factory intercooler
25.) 2R3Z-9H486-?? Intercooler to S.C. gasket
26.) 2R3Z-9A758-AA Cobra throttle cable
27.) 3U2Z-14S411-JUA IAT sensor connector
28.) 2R3Z-9H308A- Intercooler pipe to heat Exchanger
29.) 2R3Z-6K683A- Intercooler lines 29-35
30.) 2R3Z-6K683B-
31.) 2R3Z-6K683C-
32.) 2R3Z-6K683D-
33.) 2R3Z-6K683E-
34.) 2R3Z-6K683F-
35.) 2R3Z-6K683G-
36.) 2R3Z-8501-AA Ford / Bosche water pump for intercooler
37.) 2R3Z-9L440-?? Factory heat exchanger
38.) 2R3Z-8A193-?? Heat exchanger mounting bracket
39.) 2R3Z-6C693-?? 2each bracket clamps
40.) 2R3Z-9H308C --?? Lower manifold to intercooler water adapter
41.) 2R3Z-6F089-?? EGR Valve
42.) 2R3Z- -?? EGR Tube to exhaust manifold
43.) 2R3Z- 8N500-?? Water pump intercooler bracket

His list:

1) all intercooler lines and elbows
2) intercooler fluid reservoir
3) heat exchanger and mounting brackets
4) intercooler
5) intercooler pump and mounting bracket
6) intercooler cap(mounts to front of lower intake and has 1 in and 1 out intercooler line)
7) intercooler pump wire pigtail
8) timing cover
9) every single pulley except AC and water pump
10) supercharger pulley bridge that a few idlers mount to
11) both belts
12) lower intake
13) IAC valve(that thing that sits on top of the plenum/elbow)
14) supercharger and plenum
15) alternator and both mounting brackets
16) alternator wire pigtail
17) throttle and cruise cables
18) throttle/cruise cable bracket that mounts on the blower
19) the whole vacuum assembly and the stuff it all plugs into on the driver side of the blower
20) main feed line coming out of PS reservoir(the bigger one going to the pump)
21) return PS line(the other smaller one out of the reservoir) as well as the sections that "T" to right next to the radiator and to the booster
22) pcv valve and hose
23) EGR valve
24) EGR tube
25) oil cooler
26) all of the soft radiator hoses:
a) upper hose going from the crossover tube to the radiator
b) the big long one going from the middle of the crossover directly down and goes into the thermostat
c) lower hose going from lower radiator to t-stat(about 10" long)
d) hose going from oil cooler to t-stat(about 10" long also)
e) smaller diameter hose going from bottom of coolant resevoir to t-stat
----> the last hose (e) may not be needed to swap, but i did anyway
27) coolant crossover tube(hard U-shaped tube going from head to head)
28) fuel rails(i'm not sure if the pressure sensor on the driver side rail is the same, but we swapped that too)
29) boost bypass valve actuator(circular thing with on the rear driver side of the blower)
30) gaskets:
a) intercooler cap(mounts on front of lower intake)
b) plenum to blower(if you get a supercharger with the plenum on already, then you don't need this)
c) throttle body to plenum
d) IAC valve to plenum
e) EGR valve to back of blower
f) timing cover(3 parts to this gasket, and they are all sold separately)
g) supercharger to lower intake(this one can be reused if you can het the original from the guy with the 03)
h) you can also use your original lower intake to head gaskets. you just have to cut off two small tabs(one on each one). you'll see when you try to line them up with the 03/04 lower intake. no big deal at all, takes 3 seconds.
-----> you'll also need to do something for fuel. stock 03/04 injectors are fine. you can run a BAP on your stock pump, or swap to the 03/04 tank and dual pump setup too...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so from that it looks like the big stuff is relativly easy but theres about a million and a half little things that would have to happen too. well thank you very much for the info

·
Registered
342 Posts
The real biggie missing from the list... a 4-valve motor! At the very least, 4-valve heads, because that stuff ain't gonna bolt up to a 2-valve.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Torktech makes a kit to install the 03/04 supercharger on a 2v. They also sell a superchargerless kit, which is everything you need, minus the Eaton blower.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You're right, my bad! Didn't even know that setup existed.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Brutal... nice post, I'm gonna have to bookmark this one, its the most thorough I've seen on a very popular question. The one thing not addressed is the viability, the 2V has higher compression than the termi motor, I would think that could cause some major problems.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts

The real biggie missing from the list... a 4-valve motor! At the very least, 4-valve heads, because that stuff ain't gonna bolt up to a 2-valve.
oops I guess I shouldn't ASSume right? haha but when a person says "New Edge" that means 99-01 Cobra to me! YUP you need a 4V to make it easy, with a 2V your gonna be working HARD to button it up perfect!
And the compression wouldn't be a Major problem racin366, I know lots of guys that have done the Eaton Swap to 99-01 Cobras that have 10.5:1 which is more than the 2V. You just have to dial the timing down and run a higher fuel rail pressure! There's actually been Hot debates about this topic recently, lots of Kenne Belle and Whipple Terminator guys are doing rebuilds now with 9 to 9.5 versus 8 to 8.5 and seeing safe Big Power numbers!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
would torktech's kit have absolutely everything i would need?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, they sell a kit that has everything, including the blower. They also have superchargerless kits, for those who want to pick up a used Eaton. Their website is torktech.com.

This is strictly my opinion. If you're going to buy the whole kit ($4500-4999 depending on blower option), buy a new Kenne Bell for the same price instead. I just picked up my used KB from the classifieds here for $2800.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
A Kenne Bell for under $3K is Always NICE!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
39 Posts
No doubt, that's why I bought it. Nitrous has gotten too damn expensive around here. I can't even fill my own bottles cheaper than $5.50 a pound now!

Btw, to the OP the torktech kit is a great cost wise, if you're buying the blower separate. Picking up a used cobra blower can be as cheap as $400. I believe Bill Putnam has two for sale over on modularrevolution.com right now.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Why do an Eaton blower when you can strap a Whipple on it, crank up the boost, and make more power then a pullied/porten eaton?

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I would see doing the swap with those parts and an eaton but take out the eaton and throw in a whipple and then your looking at adding another $3K-4K for the whipple.
With that swap, i would crawl before i walk, unless you have the $$$ for it, then yes to the Whipple.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i dont have piles of cash laying around thats why i was looking at this root ha.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Why do an Eaton blower when you can strap a Whipple on it, crank up the boost, and make more power then a pullied/porten eaton?
Not necessarily,Aggressive Posi Ports and the Steg IV's for Eatons will give whipples a run for the money when you compare similar Boost numbers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.