Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I just recently rebuilt my 302, its all stock except for an E303 cam and exhaust. I am getting terrible fuel economy, I put half tank in on saturday, and then, went for dinner that night, drove home, then went for breakfast and drove home on sunday, and i am already empty. It lasted me about 60km in 3 days. I will check codes tomorrow. Im thinking about ordering a engine sensor kit from 50 resto too. What do you guys think.

Oh timing is set to 10. Its got new cap, rotor plugs, and plug wires too. I bought the car off my neighbors so i know the car quite well, and i can guarentee all of the fuel system is origional.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:headscratch::headscratch::headscratch: i also did a MAF conversion on it since its an 88. But what i realized was i didnt replace the MAP sensor with one designed for MAF. I still have the speed density one but i plugged the vacuume hose. So if its reading 0 vacuume wouldnt it be running rich?

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
First off you need to actually measure your gas mileage. Doing it the way your doing is WAY too inaccurate. For all you know, your gas gauge could be off.

Get an accurate measurement of your mileage.

Last time I checked I was getting 16mpg. I can go through a half a tank in 3 days pretty easy. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
There is a thread were a bunch of us posted our mpg... if I remember right the average around town seemed to be about 16. That is probably what I get and around 20-21 on a highway tank.

As was mentioned, you are going to need to fill the tank and take total miles compared to the next fill. That will give you a closer number.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Everyone is worried about codes too. Unless you have a check engine light, you have no codes. The 1988 isn't so computer controlled that everything will activate a code.
There's so many things that can affect gas mileage. Things like the weather, humidity, heat, a fuel filter in need of changing, lousy gas, they all can change your mileage.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
take your foot off the gas pedal!! lol
mine gets a little over 20mpg on the highway as well,with h/c/i and gears..like the others said,the best way to accurately measure your mpg is to reset your trip meter,fill the tank,right to the top,drive till its down to around 1/4 tank,then fill it right top the top again..record the # of gallons it took to fill it and divide the miles on your trip meter by the # of gallons it took to fill the tank
example
trip -225
gallons -12.5

225/12.5 = 18mpg

or kilometers in your case

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
:headscratch::headscratch::headscratch: i also did a MAF conversion on it since its an 88. But what i realized was i didnt replace the MAP sensor with one designed for MAF. I still have the speed density one but i plugged the vacuume hose. So if its reading 0 vacuume wouldnt it be running rich?
Same sensor wether its SD or MAF. Since its a MAF, you dont use a vac line ran to it. But leave the port on the MAP/BP sensor open, butl close it off on the intake

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.