Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... I've held out as long as I could. I've read a million different "rattle" threads and tried a few things to attempt and fix it.

It has officially driven me mad!!! :hihi:

Alright, so this is the problem. Every morning on my way to school, I go over bumps & plenty of "impurities" in the road. EVERY SINGLE one results in: "tic tic click tic tic click" & repeats that very quickly, until the road smooths out. It is very loud... Like someone tapping a screwdriver on glass (that's the best way to put it).

Where is it coming from? Well, I've just about pin pointed it. It's coming from the passenger side in the rear bench area. It almost sounds like it's coming from the area the rear passenger seatbelt comes out of.

What I've tried that HASN'T WORKED:
  • Taking out all the trim in the rear (rear bench seats, side moldings, rear "a-pillar cover").
  • Driving around without any of the things listed above in the car (hard to hear over weird "hissing noise" and gas tank sloshing around).
  • Duct taping everything that looked like it could be rattling in the rear passenger area.
  • Putting everything back together after all of the above.
  • Driving around with the rear passenger seatbelt engaged.
What would you all recommend I do? An important thing I should definitely mention is that it is coming from the area I was hit (in a car accident. :( ). If all else fails, I go back to the shop & have them figure it out.

I sure as hell don't want to be without my 'Stang any longer than I was away from it 4 months ago!!! :so & I like to be self-sufficient.

Anyone experienced a similar problem? Whoever can solve this... I'll owe you my sanity!

Thanks a lot. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a side impact sensor near the passenger door pillar. Might be worth checking.
This could be the source of the rattle??? I'm 95% sure it's coming from the behind the passenger seat. I will check it though. Is it above the passenger window area?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
do you play your music really loud all the time? if so, check your speakers in the back for anything moving around them.

other then that... i assume you made sure you rear seat is properly latched back.... so :so

hmmmm .... i will post up if i think of anything else.

ps. i found your post in my ad, LOL.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you play your music really loud all the time? if so, check your speakers in the back for anything moving around them.

other then that... i assume you made sure you rear seat is properly latched back.... so :so

hmmmm .... i will post up if i think of anything else.

ps. i found your post in my ad, LOL.
I have to play music really loud all the time because of that darn rattling noise haha! :nogrinner I was thinking it could possibly be something in the rear passenger side speaker, because it sounds like the rattle could be coming from there. Hmm... :scratchchin

I've tried just about everything with those rear seats. No dice.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
There is a side impact sensor near the passenger door pillar. Might be worth checking.
yes yes... listen to this man.... that could be it or.....

when i bought my car there was a sensor running around loose underneath the passenger seat (i believe) in the back that i had to tuck away properly... maybe that!

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, it's down closer to the floor.
Thanks a lot for that picture! I will be checking that for sure.

Just to clarify to all, the accident was not a direct "t-bone", it was more of a diagnol hit to the rear right rim. :weeps

·
Registered
781 Posts
make sure ur exhaust is lined up right, might be banging on something. Had that problem for a bit on my old v6. Make sure its all tight and has some room.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And the noise started after the hit?
Yes. At least I think it did.

I just checked the side impact sensor - No problems there.
And I'm almost entirely sure it's coming from the inside of the car. 2 things to note:

• I can barely hear it with the windows down (so most likely not exhaust?).
  • When there is someone sitting in the rear passenger seat, it is at least a lot harder to hear the clicking. Sometimes with someone sitting there the clicking it gone.
Keep the thoughts coming, everyone... I need this gone! :D :so

·
Registered
781 Posts
Maybe something loose in the seat bracket? and the weight of a passenger wont allow that piece that is loose or WTV to slip? Id test that out if u think its an interior prob

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe something loose in the seat bracket? and the weight of a passenger wont allow that piece that is loose or WTV to slip? Id test that out if u think its an interior prob
Not a bad idea... Maybe it is the rear seat bracket? I don't know. I'll check that out, but I've already taken the entire rear bench seat out and driven around without it in.

It was hard to hear over the exhaust, gas, and some disturbing hissing noise (anyone know what that was? :scared) , but I'm pretty sure the noise was still there. :headscratch:

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Loose upper mounts for the rear shocks?

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
That would drive me nuts, hope you find it.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update... Today I plugged the rear passenger seatbelt into its socket on the way to school...

It's slightly more "muffled" and sounds more like something clicking back and forth. Maybe it's something in the rear passenger side seatbelt "compartment"?

Stl, if there is some way for me to get into that seatbelt area, I'd really like to check it out (something in the service manual???). :shocked:

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
... and some disturbing hissing noise (anyone know what that was? :scared)
this noise is probably the fuel pump.

As for the other rattle, are you sure it isn't under the car over the axle?
I have had a rattle in my car since the day I bought it. it sounds like it is coming from way back in the back in the trunk. I searched a few things, but not very intent. but, my ratle only happens when I turn at low speeds, or go over speed bumps slowly. weird.

good luck locating your rattle.

·
Registered
240 Posts
this noise is probably the fuel pump.

As for the other rattle, are you sure it isn't under the car over the axle?
I have had a rattle in my car since the day I bought it. it sounds like it is coming from way back in the back in the trunk. I searched a few things, but not very intent. but, my ratle only happens when I turn at low speeds, or go over speed bumps slowly. weird.

good luck locating your rattle.
I have had this rattle too. As soon as I changed the axlebacks it was gone. Must have been an exhaust hanger....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.