Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a 2011 5.0 today and I can say that I am not overally impressed with it. I have a 2005 GT and I really didn't think it was a HUGE difference in performance. Yes I could tell a difference and yes it was very nice. If I didn't have a mustang and looked to get one this would be my first choice. But for me I was not compelled to trade in my GT for the upgrade.

Anyone else with a GT drive a 5.0 and think this?

·
Registered
927 Posts
It may be how you will able to drive it. If you were stuck in normal traffic patterns, I would say yes, its about the same , and it handles a bit better. Steering feels a bit better and of course its a new car..

I have a 2008 Gt with CIA and tune. I drove one and was able to do some 1/4 mile like highway runs..I was on it so to speak. My opinion its different, no doubt about that for me anyway.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It wasn't that it was not any different, I can tell a difference. It was that I guess I expected it to be much different. To me it was only a margianally better not exceptionally better.
For me the bottom line was when I was done driving it I wasn't running into the dealership to trade in my GT for one.

Looks like I am in the minority on this opinion though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
... that really makes zero sense to me.... I owned a 2010 GT a few month before my 5.0 and I noticed a huge difference. If you were riding on stock gears that could be the reason, which most of the GTs are at this point to my disappointment... those 3.31 gears do NOT work to the 5.0s favor. If not, you should probably go get your ears checked, cause you're just not feeling what you're supposed to haha

Fast, Neat, Average...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Does your 2005 run a 12 sec 1/4 mile?

·
Registered
247 Posts
On a typical dealership test route, you may not have gotten much over 3k rpm. Open that thing up, and it's night and day.
;)

·
Registered
568 Posts
To each there own but i had an 08 before the 5.0 and it is like night and day in every category. The car is just better in every way!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Agreed with Sam i am, Darkcandy, USA Flyboy

That was what I rode in my post early. I had basically open rode 1/4 mile runs, 4 times, shifts at around 6000-6300 , the thing was a beast...Never really got pass 4th gear in those runs

The other good point here was about the gears.. My 08GT has 3.55's and the one I drove had 3.73...

Believe me, I would not have order a 5.0 if I did not think there was a difference beside that fact it will be the most expense Stang I have ever owned..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Big difference

My 2011 GT is a automatic with 3:15 gear. My 2007 Shelby GT was a stick with 3:55 gear, 2008 Bullitt as all were a stick with 3:73 gear, and my 2010 GT was a stick with trac pac 1 3:73 gear.
I had concerns about my expectations of the 2011 GT as I had driven a 2010 GT with automatic and 3:31 gear and did not care for it at all. The 4.6 with stick and optional gear combo was real nice but.
This 5.0 is completely different. Feels like it has a 4:10 gear when on the throttle and lots more horsepower. I am still on my first tank of regular and 250 miles. May see even more out of it after 1000 mile break in and premium fuel. I really wanted an automatic and feel like this was the way for me to go. :yup:

·
Registered
568 Posts
My 2011 GT is a automatic with 3:15 gear. My 2007 Shelby GT was a stick with 3:55 gear, 2008 Bullitt as all were a stick with 3:73 gear, and my 2010 GT was a stick with trac pac 1 3:73 gear.
I had concerns about my expectations of the 2011 GT as I had driven a 2010 GT with automatic and 3:31 gear and did not care for it at all. The 4.6 with stick and optional gear combo was real nice but.
This 5.0 is completely different. Feels like it has a 4:10 gear when on the throttle and lots more horsepower. I am still on my first tank of regular and 250 miles. May see even more out of it after 1000 mile break in and premium fuel. I really wanted an automatic and feel like this was the way for me to go. :yup:
Dude i agree. Mine is an auto also. Just wait for a good tune and the thing will really run hard and shift points will be firmed up and bumping the rev limiter by several hundred rpm . A tune, full exhaust, and CAI ought to show gains of 40 to 50-ish or more RWHP.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I test drove a 2011 5.0 today and I can say that I am not overally impressed with it. I have a 2005 GT and I really didn't think it was a HUGE difference in performance. Yes I could tell a difference and yes it was very nice. If I didn't have a mustang and looked to get one this would be my first choice. But for me I was not compelled to trade in my GT for the upgrade.

I work in a dealer & have been interested in the mustang since 2005. Been driving them every year, but was never impressed by the speed nor the ride. Finally liked the way the 2010 rode enough to deal with the lack of speed & was just about to get one ,then heard about the 5.0 and waited. World of difference in power. Even the ride was a big difference starting 2010. My opinion.:)

·
Registered
927 Posts
Greenterror,

Maybe you should consider trying to find another 5.0 you can test drive with a 6 speed and 3.73 gears.

Hopefully you can find a road that you can go through the gears and bring up the rev's..

I'm pretty sure you will feel the difference..

oh yes, the Brembo brake package is also a plus. The one I drove had that option also and the car handled much better then my 08 GT

·
Registered
872 Posts
If you don't think the 5.0 is a great machine(performance wise), then you don't deserve to drive one. It has 100 more horsepower, 65 more torque. better aerodynamics, better suspension, a live axle that outperforms the maro's IRS and a redline of 7000 rpms! And best of all you can get the package for less than $40k!

·
Registered
325 Posts

The parking brake is supposed to be in the down position.

Mine has 3.31 rear end gears and a 2010 GT was no contest; taking candy from a baby.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry guys but I just don't agree with you on this. Don't get me wrong it was a very nice car, just not night and day like I thought it would be.

I wasn't riding with a dealer, I got it out on a highway and did get on the throttle. Maybe my expectations were too high.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
If you don't think the 5.0 is a great machine(performance wise), then you don't deserve to drive one. It has 100 more horsepower, 65 more torque. better aerodynamics, better suspension, a live axle that outperforms the maro's IRS and a redline of 7000 rpms! And best of all you can get the package for less than $40k!
If comparing it to a 10 it only has 55lbs more tq and what is the equavilant of 87 more HP. (premium gas)

Going from 3.73s to 3.15s with only 55lbs more tq could yeild confusion for someone expecting to go from a rowboat to a rocket ship 335ft/390ft lbs tq is only a 15% increase. Throw in the difference in pull going from 3.73s to 3.15s with only a 15% increase in Tq and expecting to be "twice as good" would leave someone bewildered..its not twice as much pull its...15% more pull.

Now.... (as several have mentioned here) get into the higher speeds and wind out the rpm (where the 4.6 starts running out of breath) and the tq numbers arent the issue...then you are feeling the extra "100" horsepower....at those RPMs its not 15% better..its 25% better...and gears wouldnt matter much at that point either..

Soo..i can see both sides.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
The parking brake is supposed to be in the down position.

Mine has 3.31 rear end gears and a 2010 GT was no contest; taking candy from a baby.

The standard 2010GTs with 3.31s or less are AWFUL..not a contest for my car either...could never get it less than 5.6 in 0-60 and i can easily do 5 or less in the 2010gt i have now....so saying that a regular 2010Gt was "no contest"...really isnt say much (from someone who has owned 2).

Nonetheless...i will be at a dealer some time in 12 or so....maybe when the Boss version comes out with the 430+ ratings..... thats the one id like

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
FORDMOPAR,

That 2010 you raced must have a crappy driver or it is the standard gear GT. I agree with the OP. I drove a 3.31 auto 5.0 and I actually like my 3.73 2010 GT better. Yes, the 5.0 has more power (in stock form), but I was not "wowed" like I thought I would be. Maybe a 3.73 5.0 6 speed would "wow" me, but I'll wait until 2012.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Expectations have alot to do with it! There are also some other factors in play as well I believe.

When I picked up my 2011 last month, I must admit, the first day I felt dissapointed with the performance. Then a couple days later it really impressed me - I wasn't overthinking, just DRIVING, and wow what an engine. Now 1400mi later, I wonder "how could have I possiblly felt that way to begin with"? Contributing factors I believe: 1.) The exhaust is quieter than previous years. 2.) The chassis is tight /well engineered so therefore handles the power output very well. 3.) The NVH of the driveline is extremely low.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.