Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, hope you all had a good 4th of July weekend. On Friday I test drove both a 2011 GT and a 2011 V6 and have my opinion on both of them. The GT was an absolute beast and I loved the way it sounded. I tested the acceleration out of a turn and it took off. On the other hand, I was kind of disappointed with the V6 because to me it didn't seem very responsive. I was shocked when I got back into my 2006 V6 and the throttle seemed slightly more responsive than the 2011 V6. Now I know that the 2011 V6 makes its power in the higher RPM's and I couldn't get them up that high with a salesman sitting next to me, but I honestly couldn't feel a 100 horsepower difference between the two. Just my opinions and I wanted to share them with you guys.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
makes sense, a larger 4.0l v6 vs a 3.7 v6 will feel more responsive (=torque) since it makes its power in lower rpm. your claim on not feeling the 100hp difference is negated by the fact that you didn't even give the car a chance to impress you by not exploiting its power band due to the proximity of the salesman ;)

these new engines are breathing screamers and they like their rpms

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
your claim on not feeling the 100hp difference is negated by the fact that you didn't even give the car a chance to impress you by not exploiting its power band due to the proximity of the salesman ;)
Very true lol, I had no chance to open it up.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I beg to differ.

I owned a 2006 V6, and have driven a new 2011 V6, and I can tell you, there is no comparison at all. The new one is a rocket, easily outpowering it's predecessor at both low and high R.P.M.S. I won't be at all surprised to see some late model GT owners get a rude awakening by the new V6 Stang. It is quick and it handles.

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What car were YOU driving? I had a 2006 V6, and have driven a new 2011 V6, and I can tell you, there is no comparison at all. The old mill was like a truck motor, but the new one is a rocket, easily outpowering it's predecessor at low AND high RPMS. I won't be at all surprised to see some late model GT owners get a rude awakening by the new V6 Stang. It is quick and it handles.
I didn't say I thought the 2006 was equally as powerful, I just didn't really feel a 100 horsepower difference in the short time I drove the car. The difference in the throttle responsiveness may have been that my car has the Bama race tune and the car i test drove still had the stock tune. A tuned 2011 would probably feel much more responsive.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Don't forget the 2011 V6s get both dual exhaust and posi-traction! I have yet to test the v6 and GT, but when I do I will be ready! Maybe when I bring in my 08 to get an oil change soon I'll convince my dad to go test drive the 5.0!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't forget the 2011 V6s get both dual exhaust and posi-traction! I have yet to test the v6 and GT, but when I do I will be ready! Maybe when I bring in my 08 to get an oil change soon I'll convince my dad to go test drive the 5.0!
I know about the exhaust, and the T-Lok I didn't want to test with a burnout because the salesman was there (Even though the salesman spun the tires twice on his way to go park the car in the lot). Also, I could tell that both the 2011s had a much much nicer suspension because I could actually go over a speed bump without having to come to a complete stop before hand and not feel a jolt down my spine on the bump.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have driven many older v6s from 2005-2009, and currently own the 2011 v6 and even at low RPMs, and driving causally you can feel a huge difference in acceleration. I test drove the 2011 with 2.73s and 3.31s (bought the 3.31s) and even with the 2.73s, without even pushing it too hard-- the 11s felt far better than any of the previous 2006s. Your impressions are quite confusing.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have driven many older v6s from 2005-2009, and currently own the 2011 v6 and even at low RPMs, and driving causally you can feel a huge difference in acceleration. I test drove the 2011 with 2.73s and 3.31s (bought the 3.31s) and even with the 2.73s, without even pushing it too hard-- the 11s felt far better than any of the previous 2006s. Your impressions are quite confusing.
Like I said it was a short test...and there was a salesman. If you have had different experiences then thats fine, I'm just sharing how my first experience went.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.