Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI GUYS
I GOT ME IN A JAM. I OWN A '66 FORD MUSTANG CONVERT.
I WAS TOLD TO HAVE AN EXTRA GROUND IN ORDER TO MAKE THE LIGHTS,RADIO ETC,ETC TO WORK WELL.

I WAS TOLD TO LOOK FOR AN OPEN THREADED HOLE NEAR THE BACK OF MY ENGINE. LOW AND BEHOLD THE OPEN THREAD HOLE WAS JUST BEFORE THE TRANNY MOUNTS TO THE ENGINE.

WAS I WENT ON MY JOURNEY TO GET THE RIGHT BOLT SO I COULD STRAP AN EXTRA GROUND FROM THE ENGINE TO THE FRAME OF MY CAR.

WITH NO LUCH AT ALL COULD I COME-UP WITH THAT DAMN BOLT.
I WENT TO AUTOZONE, CHECKERS, HOMEDePOT, LOW'ES I EVEN SEARCHED ON: ASKJEEVES, GOOGLE, FROOGLE, DOOGLE, SMOOGLE AND EVAN ASKS HUMPY DUMPY TOO. DAMN IT JUST CAN'T COME UP WITH IT.

I'M STUMPED. BUT I HAD AN IDEA!! WHOOPIE!
I TOOK OFF THE BOLT FROM THE STRAP THAT HOLDS BOTH THE IGNITION COLIL AND THE OIL DIP STICK TOGETHER ON MY ENGINE.

AND LOW AND BEHOLD, GUESS WHAT? YOU GOT IT. THAT SUCKER FIT PERFECTLY.

NOW WHAT? I STILL NEED TO REPLACE THE INGNITION COIL STRAP BOLT.

HELP SOMEONE.

I BOUGHT LOTS OF BOLTS (12) WITH NO HELP.

PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE TO GO, BUY, STEAL, ROB AT NIGHT
IN ORDER TO PURCHASE THIS STUPID BOLT. I'M SO DESPARETE I'LL EVEN BUY THE STRAP THAT HOLD BOTH PARTS, JUST SO I CAN GET THAT BOLT.

THANKS GUYS

RAY M.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You could take the bolt you found that works to a local hardware store and ask them to find a matching bolt for you. If you have the bolt in hand, most hardware store clerks should be able to find a replacement. You may have to try a few different stores before you find it, but if they used it in a car in 1966, chances are it's a standard thread and bolt size.

Alternatively, you could look for one in a local junkyard. You don't even have to look for a replacement strap; just pull the bolt off of the ignition coil from a junker. :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
SCHOONER-it would help if we knew what motor you had:) A 289 has a 7/16 coarse (USS) bolt hole in the end of each head, about 5/8" deep so a short bolt is needed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi NinjaMoble

Thanks for your reply. I did go to serval hardware store and one of the biggest and best auto supply dealers in Vegas.
The clerk was no kid and seems to know his stuff ~ WRONG !

He (the clerk) even measure the bolt I brought and put it thru one of those measure guides. It look damn good to me and I thought I was in ~ WRONG AGAIN.

I think I try your suggestion about hitting the auto junk yards.

THANKS AGAIN
SCHOONER

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi NinjaMoble

Thanks for your reply. I did go to serval hardware store and one of the biggest and best auto supply dealers in Vegas.
The clerk was no kid and seems to know his stuff ~ WRONG !

He (the clerk) even measure the bolt I brought and put it thru one of those measure guides. It look damn good to me and I thought I was in ~ WRONG AGAIN.

I think I try your suggestion about hitting the auto junk yards.

THANKS AGAIN
SCHOONER

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.