Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my daughter's 05 5-speed that I bought for her when she was 16. It had 100,000 miles on it and in need of some upgrades. New control arms, Royal Purple in the transmission to take care of noisy syncros, all new fluids, true dual exhaust, new upholstery. Later on wheels off a GT. She graduated college and it got new paint. She moved to Charleston and was having a hard time seeing the road at night so I custom built the headlights with HID projector lamps.

A few months ago the front wheel bearings got noisy and the brake pads were worn so she took it to her BF's dealership for those repairs. Besides oil changes that's the only work that has been done by someone other than me.

Now she's moving to Roanoke and I have the car for a few days to give it a health check. It now has 180,000 miles on it.

One of the bleed screws on a front caliper had been overtightened or cross-threaded so the whole thing has to be replaced. Since I'm replacing the fronts and with high mileage, best to do the rears as well, and upgrade to silver powder coat.

Brake hoses are 16 years old, so I'll replace those as well. Hoses run about $30/ each, or buy a Russell braided stainless steel kit for $120. No brainer there.

The front bearings went so best do the rears before they go.

Tie rod ends and ball joints are loose and Moog makes a kit with that.

Rear bump stops are rotted so new ones.

The E-brake pulled up with little resistance, and I found a second dealership cobb job. One of the rear cables had seized and the rod end gone so he kept the broken cable in place with a hose clamp and zip tie. The emergency brake had about 5% of its effectiveness. Emergency. Brake. It's to stop you. In an Emergency. Like when the hydraulic brakes don't work because you tightened one of the bleeder screws with an impact wrench.

Lastly I'll touch up the gloss black under clear coat Monza stripe on the hood and front bumper. Actually I'll have my friend Mike do that under his warranty because he painted the car.

Reactions: crjackson

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Sounds like she'll have a safe, reliable ride under her. That's what we do for our girls!! (y)
Btw, is that yellow? Not a lot of cars can pull off that color, IMO, but it looks great on that car!

Reactions: Yadkin

·
Super Moderator
3,557 Posts
Wow! Good on you.

You know… You don’t live too far away from me. I may come to visit and leave my car parked in your garage for a week or so …. ;-) j/k

Reactions: Yadkin

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just leave me the keys. When you come back in a week I'll make sure that all of the suspension is worn out. :D

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ford actually had two shades of "screaming yellow" that model year. Maybe they switched suppliers or just wanted a different volume of scream. In any event, when buying paint to match the original shade, the VIN has to be known.

It works for me, but really needs the big fat striping to make it.

The Moog kit came in yesterday afternoon and went in slick last night.
d.jpg p.jpg

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The calipers came in from Rock Auto and has three shades of silver. :rolleyes: Semi-glass black is what they are now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts