Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of staggered 20" package from AM for a special person's special day (no stupid comments needed here). Upon recieving the package they refused to install them because they "heard" it would cause damage to their Stang. ??? I was disappointed to say the least ... but it's his gift. My question after that long lead - will a 20" package actually hurt a suspension??? I found it hard to believe but it's not stock so there could be something to it.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I bought a set of staggered 20" package from AM for a special person's special day (no stupid comments needed here). Upon recieving the package they refused to install them because they "heard" it would cause damage to their Stang. ??? I was disappointed to say the least ... but it's his gift. My question after that long lead - will a 20" package actually hurt a suspension??? I found it hard to believe but it's not stock so there could be something to it.
If this person has an '11 or a '12 with Brembos (or any other year with non-standard brakes) I suppose that if the rim isn't offset enough to clear the Brembos it can cause damage. I can't fit a baby finger between my 19" rim and the Brembo caliper.

·
Registered
526 Posts
If they physically do not fit, that's an obvious problem. Then you have a clearance issue where they bolt on but the tires will rub when driving.

If you asked AM and they said that neither of those would be a problem, I'd believe them and then verify it by gently driving the car at first.

Aftermarket wheels added weight adds stress to the suspension. Usually this is not enough of a change to be a noticiable difference and may not have any detrimental effect at all. It all depends on how much more they weigh and how overbuilt the suspension is from teh factory.

My guess is that he thinks they are ugly and doesnt want to tell you....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Aftermarket wheels added weight adds stress to the suspension. Usually this is not enough of a change to be a noticiable difference and may not have any detrimental effect at all. It all depends on how much more they weigh and how overbuilt the suspension is from teh factory.
Since when do all aftermarket wheels weigh more than stock ones? My STOCK Brembo wheels weigh in the neighborhood of 27lbs ea, and Enkie has wheels that look almost identical that weigh 9lbs less. AND THEY'RE STRONGER.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Since when do all aftermarket wheels weigh more than stock ones? My STOCK Brembo wheels weigh in the neighborhood of 27lbs ea, and Enkie has wheels that look almost identical that weigh 9lbs less. AND THEY'RE STRONGER.
You could construe that I meant that "all" aftermarket wheels and tires would be heavier from the way I worded the sentence. I didnt want to overly complicate the matter by getting into every "what if" and simply stated the common cause of possible damage, too much weight.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Can you post a link or picture of the rims?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Well, if you had the wheel fitment approved by AM, AND you had ALL the proper info supplied to them before hand, I tend to agree with the above post that maybe the person receiving the wheels does not like them and does not want to come right out and say that to your face...
As far as I am concerned,wheels are highly subjective appearance packages,while you may think the ones you picked up are awesome, he/she may think they are just plain not their taste in wheel selection,it's one of those damn if you do, damn if you don't.
You may want to consider photographing the wheels and posting pics here, Im sure someone will be interested in buying them off you.
That's assuming AM will not offer an exchange to you... terrible situation you have on your hands!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
What are you planning on doing with the rims,post a pick would love to see what they look like.put them on your ride you wont have to buy tires for a while,thats a plus.

·
Registered
82 Posts
20" rims do fit 11-12 Mustangs, and they come with many Roush cars. If you put 275/35/20s on them, they will be approximately the same height as what comes on the 19" rims from Ford.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
unless his car has the brembo brake package, they will not hurt a thing.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you post a link or picture of the rims?
They are the 20" Chrome bullet staggered package that AM offers with the Sumitomo tires. I cannot post a picture because they have not taken the actual wheels out of the box. The car is a normal, run of the mill, GT. It's a nice looking car even with the original rims ...

Since I've gifted the wheel package it will be interesting to see what is done with the rims. 5.0 Candy Red has a good point that I obviously did not consider before making the buy.

·
Registered
411 Posts
They are the 20" Chrome bullet staggered package that AM offers with the Sumitomo tires. I cannot post a picture because they have not taken the actual wheels out of the box. The car is a normal, run of the mill, GT. It's a nice looking car even with the original rims ...

Since I've gifted the wheel package it will be interesting to see what is done with the rims. 5.0 Candy Red has a good point that I obviously did not consider before making the buy.
I know changing rim size can throw off spedometer so maybe they dont want to deal with that. Also the staggered look is not for everyone, maybe they are a factory rim only type person. Some people dont want all the attention that 20 inch chrome wheels bring. Either way you are a great person for buying them those wheels. Ask them if there is some other wheels he would rather have or maybe another mod to their car. You can get an awesome sound system for 1900!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.