Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might as well jump in and get the discussion flowing. The truth of the matter is that I do not currently own a Mustang. I've wanted one for the last 30 years, but it just hadn't been possible until recently. I love the current body style, and the idea of getting my first (love) is pretty consuming. I've read way too much of this forum, and browsed parts to see what I will do with it.

However, with each passing day new spy shots and new tech information comes out. I have to say that I am very interested in the idea of the new 'stang. A 400hp V6 model? That Ecoboost 4 cylinder? That bad-ass V8? Holy cow. But the retro-styling of the current platform...*sigh*

Talk to me. Help me decide. Don't necessarily want a battle. Just throw the idea around with me.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would go get a 2014 now and hold on to it for a few years then if you like the new one sell your 2014 and get one after ford has worked out all the bug. They say to never buy the first model year of a new car. Also I would like to point out that we don't know what the new mustang will look like yet and you may not like it. Bottom line if you like the current body stile then don't miss out you may regret it.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
I think if you love the current body style you should buy it..some of us aren't that crazy about it and are awaiting the "new" Stang

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I would go get a 2014 now and hold on to it for a few years then if you like the new one sell your 2014 and get one after ford has worked out all the bug.
A far better idea would be to wait 9 months to see what the new car looks like so you don't have to take the hit on depreciation twice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They say to never buy the first model year of a new car.
This right here is one of my biggest concerns with waiting for the s550, outside of the obvious "it may have all of the attraction of a Mustang II" style-wise (my apologies to all those who adore that Mustang body). Give them a couple of years to work out the V1.0 bugs.

I think if you love the current body style you should buy it..some of us aren't that crazy about it and are awaiting the "new" Stang
Love the current body style, but I'm also particularly drawn to the suspected horsepower and fuel efficiency numbers on the EcoBoost 4 (maybe Ecoboost 6?) coming up. They could very well come up with even better numbers on both fuel efficiency and HP than the current cars provide.

A far better idea would be to wait 9 months to see what the new car looks like so you don't have to take the hit on depreciation twice.
Waiting. That can be the hardest thing for me to do. I don't wait well. Never have, likely never will.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree if you love the current body style now is the time to buy it. The last model year is going to be the most loaded and reliable of the bunch. Also, Ford usually doesn't upgrade the powertrain first year so I think maybe waiting a few years or until the first refresh makes sense.

Still I can't help but follow all this news like a hawk. It's exciting to see what we have in store for the next 7-10 years on this new platform.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Definitely wait until the 2015 is revealed with specs. It will be lighter, more fuel efficient, more powerful and have an IRS. Those are things worth waiting for. And if you decide you still want a 2014, you could probably get it with some Ford incentives since they will be clearing the way for the new model.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
260 Posts
Definitely wait until the 2015 is revealed with specs. It will be lighter, more fuel efficient, more powerful and have an IRS. Those are things worth waiting for. And if you decide you still want a 2014, you could probably get it with some Ford incentives since they will be clearing the way for the new model.

Agree with this. We are all dying to see it, but I think it's worth the wait to see if you'll like it. If not, there be plenty of '14s to be had.

The other consideration is, if nobody likes the 2015, then everyone may be looking for a '14!

Not really helpful there, am I?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've already seen pics of the 2015. The front end looks like an Aston and rear looks like a Japanese car. The car has lost its muscles. It looks sleek and fast though, and supposedly will be available a Mach 1 version with the supercharged 5.8L used in the GT500.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I've already seen pics of the 2015. The front end looks like an Aston and rear looks like a Japanese car. The car has lost its muscles. It looks sleek and fast though, and supposedly will be available a Mach 1 version with the supercharged 5.8L used in the GT500.
The 5.8 won't fit. This has been stated before.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
21 Posts
My choice is to wait and see what '15 has to offer. Worst case scenario if you don't like it you go to a Ford dealer and pick up a new '14 for an unbeatable price.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I would wait at this point. If you don´t like the 2015 you can always find a 2014 with low mileage... or get the 2014 now and trade it next year for a 2015... or get both! LOL

·
Registered
946 Posts
I think there are quite a few things you need to consider. What attracts you to the mustang? Is it the engine options? Is it purely the styling? Do you care about the solid rear axle of the current cars? Do you have really specific requirements about what you want in your dream mustang? Do you care about whether you buy a new or used car?

Styling vs Engine: To me, this is where you consider whether you want a muscle car or a pretty car. I don't think the new mustang, at least when initially released in the US is going to offer any crazy engine options or remove the V8 in the GT. There might be a ecoboost 4 cylinder on offer, but that seems up in the air for the US market--at least from what I've read. But if you really dig what will more likely be a more retro design in the current car, that might be the way to go. If you're really interested in engine tech more than appearances, it might be better to wait until Ford at least announces what will be available in the '15 cars

Solid rear axle: I own a '12 GT. It's a great car. But the rear axle is by far my least favorite aspect of the ownership experience. I didn't pull the trigger already and was in your shoes, I'd probably wait to see if the IRS is that much better than the SRA.

Specific requirements: Are you a guy who buys off the lot or are you someone who wants very specific things and doesn't like to compromise. If you're specific and you wiat too long, you won't be able to order a '14 mustang and will have to deal with what's on the lot. You might be better off buying now and getting exactly what you want. I'm not that picky to be honest--I don't care about color (that much) and I don't like a lot of convenience items. And yet, I couldn't find a base model GT+ brembo package+3.55s when I got my car, so I had to order it. All the cars in the 3 state radius are either autos, sticks with all the convenience items and no performance options, or fully loaded with everything. I didn't like my choices.

New or used: If you wait to see what the '15 will be like to actually drive, there may not be any '14 mustangs around to buy. You could always buy a used 13/14 mustang, however. But some people don't do used cars.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The 5.8 won't fit. This has been stated before.

We'll see in 2015. The 5.8 will sit lower in the engine bay. I have the 5.8L now, couldn't imagine it in a smaller body with less weight, would be one bad ass stang.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
We'll see in 2015. The 5.8 will sit lower in the engine bay. I have the 5.8L now, couldn't imagine it in a smaller body with less weight, would be one bad ass stang.
I hoping for a version of that twin turbo 5.0 that was in the prototype CobraJet

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
yeah, I"m thinking Shelby will be no more and they may do a turbo SVO/SVT again to top the GT...and BTW if the new Stang looks anything like the new Jaguar it will be sweet

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've seen a few reports that there won't be a GT500 next year, instead we will get a GT350 with a NA V8. I was hoping for a NA version of the 5.8 liter but I heard they might retire that engine to make the few GT500's they put it in that much more exclusive.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just my two cents....I bought an 09 a couple of months back. After much deliberation I decided on it because I still think it's the best looking in terms of body style and I got a killer deal on a mint low mileage car that leaves me money for mods and a nice low payment

1 - 20 of 22 Posts