Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two Mustang that were racing had a horrific crash lastnight in my hometown.http://edmsun.canoe.ca/News/Edmonton/2006/06/13/1629094-sun.html

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=67111f72-a8cf-4a8b-835b-f4bd6c230e82&k=62834
Two seriously injured after rolling Mustang in west end
The Edmonton Journal
Published: Tuesday, June 13, 2006
EDMONTON - Two young men had to be cut out of the mangled wreckage of a Mustang GT that rolled several times on a west-end street Monday evening.

Insp. Shane Loxterkamp said the car and another Mustang were headed north on 149th Street at "an extremely high rate of speed."

The black Mustang GT failed to negotiate a meridian at 135th Avenue that reduces the two-lane street down to one.

A witness told police he thought the cars were travelling at about 150 km/h at the time.

The black Mustang was launched into the air and rolled several times before coming to rest about a half block down the street.

As it rolled, the car cut down seven newly planted trees, demolished an electrical power box and knocked down a light standard.

The male passenger had to be airlifted by STARS to the University Hospital while the driver was transported by ground ambulance.

Both men have serious and undetermined injuries, said Loxterkamp.

Police located the second Mustang a short time later at a nearby movie cineplex.

Officers were interviewing the occupants, believed to be two young women.

© The Edmonton Journal 2006
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
I saw a Mustang and a ricer racing one morning on my way to work. Over here in Las Vegas some of the freeways are lined with high side banks of colored rocks. They were doing 100+mph and the stang lost control and ended up on the enbankment and went on its side and rolled many times, then the driver was ejected and was pronounced dead. I also saw a couple of guys racing in an other part of town that the freeway was not complete and had cross traffic. One of the cars ended up broadsiding a BMW at 90+ and both cars fell into a ditch and caught on fire.

Street racing is dangerous! i guess its not until you kill someone or you get killed. is it really worth it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
you know...the right body man could buff that right out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,191 Posts
Insurance rates on the GT's are going to go UP UP UP UP.
I know nghtrnnr dosen't do that right? :rollgrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
Two "young" men in one car and two "young" women in the other car...I'm going to chalk this up to young kids trying to impress each other and not knowing when to back down...I'm not going to sit here and bash street racing...just not using common F**king sense...If you're going to run someone use your damn head and don't do it on residential streets, know when the limit has been reached, and if you're one of those people that can't stand to lose and will do anything to win go to the track and run there so you don't put anyone else in danger. I've run others on the highway before and I'm not saying it's 100% safe or 100% smart but there are certain things people to reduce the risk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Puptent21 said:
Two "young" men in one car and two "young" women in the other car...I'm going to chalk this up to young kids trying to impress each other and not knowing when to back down...I'm not going to sit here and bash street racing...just not using common F**king sense...If you're going to run someone use your damn head and don't do it on residential streets, know when the limit has been reached, and if you're one of those people that can't stand to lose and will do anything to win go to the track and run there so you don't put anyone else in danger. I've run others on the highway before and I'm not saying it's 100% safe or 100% smart but there are certain things people to reduce the risk.
They had a update on the evening news last night. The driver of the Black 06 GT was a "44 yr old" male and his passenger was a 36 yr old male. The female(I believe they said she was 25 yrs old) driving the other Mustang GT was handed several charges including impaired driving. Last year a guy in his fifties lost control of his Corvette and jumped the curb and killed a pedestrian. I don't buy your young driver theory. Drivers of all ages and experience levels are capable of losing control in the wrong place at the wrong time. On the street anything can happen. Add booze or drugs to the mix and it gets real ugly. Just be careful guys.
Update http://edmsun.canoe.ca/News/Edmonton/2006/06/14/1631345-sun.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Grim prognosis for race victim -June 14,2006
By MAX MAUDIE, EDMONTON SUN


The passenger in the Mustang that flipped and rolled during a high-speed race Monday night is clinging to life in hospital, but police say he'll likely never fully recover.
"He's going to be paralyzed, if he does make it," said Const. Mike Wynnyk.
Yesterday, the 36-year-old man - who suffered severe leg, spinal, and head injuries - was still alive, said police.
The 2006 Ford Mustang the man was in - driven by a 44-year-old man who would suffer a broken arm in the crash - made a move to pass the 1998 Mustang he was allegedly racing, driven by a 25-year-old woman. Speeds reached more than 150 kmh, according to witnesses at the scene. An official figure hasn't been released by police, who continue to investigate.

The man's car ran headlong into a median around 10 p.m. It flipped and rolled several times before coming to a rest at 149 Street, south of 137 Avenue.
Police caught up to the woman's Mustang nearby - running with a flat tire after it hit the median - about an hour later.
Wynnyk, part of the police's Street Legal team, said such races aren't uncommon on city streets.
The Street Legal team deals with organized street racing.
Maybe one driver becomes a little envious of another's pimped-out exhaust, or someone gets a little aggressive on the road, or a guy sees "some cute girl in a car and he wants to show off," said Wynnyk, speaking generally of street races.
When it comes to cars, "everything is mutated between speed and performance now," said Wynnyk's Street Legal partner, Det. Terry Innes. "And people want to use that speed and performance."
Injury prevention physician Dr. Louis Francescutti called on city police to crack down on traffic infractions, one of a package of promises Chief Mike Boyd recently made.
"The fact that people get away with (dangerous driving) just enforces the behaviour," he said.
Gerald Brisebois, 44, faces a charge of dangerous driving causing bodily harm.
Nevada Patenaude, 25, faces charges of impaired driving and dangerous driving. Prime Minister Stephen Harper recently said his government will make street racing a new criminal offence that will result in stiffer sentences for offenders
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
785 Posts
Well it is obvious with todays political thinking the median was definitly at fault. If the road department had not placed the median at that point in the road, unknowing to the driver and if there were better signs and lights, this would have never happened. It is the road departments fault and responsibility.
Now, all you people who cannot and do not accept any personal responsibility feel better?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,191 Posts
How about if a person is caught street racing they will no longer be allowed to drive a car with more than 100 HP.
Sad for the passenger, If what they say is true, if that were me, I would rather be dead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
It's amazing their not both dead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,749 Posts
$15.00 guys. race all you want, unlimited, all night long. and its LEGAL. plus, as extra fringe benefits, you will get better launches due to better tractioned surface, a cool little slip at the end of the track that proves to others how fast you went, a whole crowd of people that watch you, and if thats not enough for you.... you can always leave the shoe polish on for a week to show everyone that you race it....

seriously, its fun to goose it a little on the street, take off fast from a light, or maybe chirp the tires in 1st thru 3rd, we all do it. but be careful - straight out hardcore street racing is foolish.... and even if you live after a crash.... look at what you have done to your poor innocent stang!! :what: and with the "new" insurance premium you'll be paying, youll be lucky to own a VW Rabbit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
Cdvision said:
They had a update on the evening news last night. The driver of the Black 06 GT was a "44 yr old" male and his passenger was a 36 yr old male. The female(I believe they said she was 25 yrs old) driving the other Mustang GT was handed several charges including impaired driving. Last year a guy in his fifties lost control of his Corvette and jumped the curb and killed a pedestrian. I don't buy your young driver theory. Drivers of all ages and experience levels are capable of losing control in the wrong place at the wrong time. On the street anything can happen. Add booze or drugs to the mix and it gets real ugly. Just be careful guys.
Update http://edmsun.canoe.ca/News/Edmonton/2006/06/14/1631345-sun.html

True, drivers of all ages can lose control of a car and do damage especially if booze is involved....but...I know that 7 times out of 10 when I see a car weaving through traffic driving like a complete nut or see two cars in an all-out street race the drivers of said cars appear to be under 25 years of age. I'm only speaking of what I've seen and in no way am I inditing all young drivers as "bad" drivers but in general I see a lot more young drivers acting crazy on the road then I do 40 something drivers. I guess there are reasons a lot of states have or are in the process of adopting laws that limit the time of day drivers under 18 can drive and how many passangers they can carry...too many fatal accidents involving "young" drivers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,820 Posts
GTNOS said:
$15.00 guys. race all you want, unlimited, all night long. and its LEGAL. plus, as extra fringe benefits, you will get better launches due to better tractioned surface, a cool little slip at the end of the track that proves to others how fast you went, a whole crowd of people that watch you, and if thats not enough for you.... you can always leave the shoe polish on for a week to show everyone that you race it....

seriously, its fun to goose it a little on the street, take off fast from a light, or maybe chirp the tires in 1st thru 3rd, we all do it. but be careful - straight out hardcore street racing is foolish.... and even if you live after a crash.... look at what you have done to your poor innocent stang!! :what: and with the "new" insurance premium you'll be paying, youll be lucky to own a VW Rabbit.

AMEN to that, well put.
Its only 5 bucks to get in 5 to run out here some days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,724 Posts
Cdvision said:
They had a update on the evening news last night. The driver of the Black 06 GT was a "44 yr old" male and his passenger was a 36 yr old male. The female(I believe they said she was 25 yrs old) driving the other Mustang GT was handed several charges including impaired driving. Last year a guy in his fifties lost control of his Corvette and jumped the curb and killed a pedestrian. I don't buy your young driver theory. Drivers of all ages and experience levels are capable of losing control in the wrong place at the wrong time. On the street anything can happen. Add booze or drugs to the mix and it gets real ugly. Just be careful guys.
Update http://edmsun.canoe.ca/News/Edmonton/2006/06/14/1631345-sun.html
I think younger kids have less tolerance to peer pressure though, and the need to show off...that cpombined with a lack of experience racing gets them in trouble.

Although, I think younger people get into trouble because they have never gotten into an accident. They don't know how fast a car will come up on your front hood if the guy in front slams on their breaks at the last second, or how to get a car to right itself from a fishtail. It's all kinda like burning your hand on the stove as a kid. They may think they can handle the car like people do in the movies, but when you get shookenup nothing substitutes for experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
Maybe if they had a roll cage and helmets on the wouldnt have got that hurt. Or if maybe Rothlesberger had a helment on he would be in training camp this summer. I have seen a roll cage save someone in his Nissan 240 once, he rolled it a few times and he was ok..he also had a 5 pt harness
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another update on the accident.
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=9dbab2b6-3c19-4d73-8e8c-1d427eaf40e5&k=41911

Passenger paralysed in street-racing rollover


Laura Drake, The Edmonton Journal


Published: Wednesday, June 14, 2006
EDMONTON - A 36-year-old man is paralysed and may not survive after he was critically injured late Monday when the Ford Mustang he was a passenger in rolled on 149th Street near 135th Avenue as it raced another car.
The car first struck the centre median, then veered into a fire hydrant, a power box, a light pole and six trees before flipping end-over-end and rolling a few times.
The injured man has severe leg, spinal and head injuries.
"He's going to be paralysed if he does make it," said Const. Mike Wynnyk.
The man's name and medical status were not available on Tuesday.
The other car involved in the street race, a 1998 Mustang, was found an hour later at a nearby movie theatre with a female driver and another woman inside.
Two people have been charged.
Gerald Brisebois, 44, is charged with dangerous driving causing bodily harm.
Nevada Patenaude, 25, is charged with impaired driving and dangerous driving.
It appears the two cars were involved in an unorganized street race leading up to the crash, according to witnesses.
Wynnyk said it is not unusual to see women involved in street racing.
"A few cars line up at a set of lights, you get that adrenaline rush and you want to go. It could be a good song on the radio or the sound of exhaust or a pretty girl that sets you off," Wynnyk said.
Before joining the force in 1991, he totalled his own car in a street race.
Police run a program called Street Legal to combat street racing.
The program allows any driver with a licence and and insured car to race at Castrol Raceway just south of Edmonton.
Wynnyk was at Archbishop O'Leary Catholic high school on Tuesday to tell students about the program.
Keaton Babysh, a 16-year-old Grade 11 student, admitted he has raced his black Toyota MR2 on the street "once or twice."
"People just want to see whose car is faster," he said.
However, he said he prefers going to the Street Legal track because there is no "swerving around traffic."
Prime Minister Stephen Harper has announced plans to table changes to the Criminal Code to crack down on street racing, a move Wynnyk said is welcome.
"It shows that government at higher levels is taking this seriously."
In February, a 23-year-old Edmonton man died in a similar incident when he lost control of his car during a race on Yellowhead Trail.
[email protected]
© The Edmonton Journal 2006​
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
pcfrisch said:
How about if a person is caught street racing they will no longer be allowed to drive a car with more than 100 HP.
Sad for the passenger, If what they say is true, if that were me, I would rather be dead.
I hope that you never become a judge LOL, coz a 100 hp car can also go 150 km/s and crash!

I just hope we learn from this and don't let our pride rule us, if you're losing, just let it go, there's always faster!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
I think younger kids have less tolerance to peer pressure though, and the need to show off...that cpombined with a lack of experience racing gets them in trouble.

Although, I think younger people get into trouble because they have never gotten into an accident. They don't know how fast a car will come up on your front hood if the guy in front slams on their breaks at the last second, or how to get a car to right itself from a fishtail. It's all kinda like burning your hand on the stove as a kid. They may think they can handle the car like people do in the movies, but when you get shookenup nothing substitutes for experience.
experienced or not, you have to put in mind that other people's lives are at risk here. Today, I wasn't racing anyone but I was going 140 km/s to catch up a stop light not to turn red, suddenly a cab driver pulls out from a traffic lane to switch to mine, I opened my eyes like "the paint job is ruined" and I didn't hit break, I took a hard turn to the right while honking and slightly breaking, I chased the taxi and pulled right in front and stopped in the middle of the road forcing him to stop too, I waved my hand like "come I wanna talk to ya", he apologized raising his hand several times, I forgave him. if I wasn't speeding, that wouldn't have happened, add to that the stupid cab driver.
 
1 - 20 of 97 Posts
Top