Ford Mustang Forum banner
41 - 60 of 97 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
Today the Canadian government is possibly going to pass legislation that would hand out stiffer fines and license suspensions as well as jail time for repeat offenders for drivers that are caught street racing. They did the same for drinking and driving and people still do it. In the 25yrs + since my first street race I've seen a steady increase in the amount of traffic on the roadways at all times of the day and night. There is just way more potential chance of having something bad happen during a street race than on the track. There were a number of years here in Edmonton where we had no track and there was a hardcore street racing scene. That took to isolated areas to do the deed and yes there were accidents. Now that we have a nice facility to race at (every Friday night there is "street legal" racing for $25) there is a very good turnout and it is a much safer place to race. The law enforcement agencies here have their own race cars and do promotions with with car clubs etc. to get people to take it to the track.
Unfortunatly there is a "rush" you get on the street that you just can't duplicate on the track. I encourage people to go to the track to do their racing. But I also understand why street racing happens and know that no matter what laws are passed and how stiff the penalties are street racing will continue to take place.

pcfrisch said:
You knew you would get bombed didn't you?
First the statement about being stupid if you buy a fast car and don't go fast is stupid. I just hate underpowerd cars because it takes forever to even pass someone who is going 20 mph under the limit holding everyone up and you can't pass because of the lack of ponies, take for instance trucks passing other trucks, you know how long that takes. There are plenty of times that I have avoided accidents by having a powerful car.
You may be "breaking the law" by going a few miles over the limit, but street racing can be a felony. You wouldn't get a reckless driving ticket for going a few miles over the limit.
Geez this has been discussed before in another thread. Where's county mounty when you need him :)
true true...but you know i never shy from gettin bombed bro.....and a v6 mustang has more than enough power to get you past the slowpokes going 20mph under the speed limit...you bought the next level...:winks

nghtrnnr said:
nice...call a dying man an idiot...which innocent motorist did he crash into? or was it 2 cars racing that...as you say..."knew the risks" let me point out that walking down a street you should at least if you have any intelligence know that a car crash could occur at any time and be a lil wary...whereas at a track you have a barrier that purports to keep you safe and yet i still see videos of cars flying into the crowd...where would a wise man feel safe? with a 4ft so called barrier separating him and the cars...or a 6inch curb? heres what bothers me...**** WHO CALL STREETRACERS IDIOTS AND PRETEND THAT THEY BOUGHT A 300HP GT TO SLOWLY NAVIGATE THE STREETS.BECAUSE THEY PRETEND THAT THEY NEVER EVER PUNCH IT ON A STREET.THEY ALWAYS GO TO THE TRACK...DIDNT 5TWENTY BURN RUBBER OUT OF THE DEALERSHIP? GUESS HE WASNT WORRIED ABOUT SOME LIL KID RIDING HIS LIL BIKE PAST THE LOT THEN WAS HE?AND THIS GUY CALLING STREETRACERS IDIOTS...HE WANTS US TO BELIVE HE LIVES IN SINCITY,BOUGHT A MUSTANG GT AND NEVER REVVED AT A LIGHT? COME ON NOW..i love when some accident happens and a some monday morning quarterback **** decides to jump on his soapbox...next week he'll be telling us a nice kill story but for now he'll attack a man dyin in a hospital as an idiot....me...i'll have a drink for that dyin man and wish him well
Better get your facts straight, bud...

1. I'm a woman.
2. I drive a V-6 Mustang.
3. I've never revved at a light.
4. I've never had a 'kill' or tried for one.

Bottomline... Your comments about pedestrians being wary that an accident could happen...? Sure, of course they do. Accidents happen all the time. People have been killed here at bus stops. But were the drivers going 100 mph down a residential street? NO.

If a guy has a medical condition, loses his control of his vehicle during normal operation and kills someone THAT is an 'accident.' If a street racer kills that same person - it's voluntary manslaughter. You do the math.

People visiting the track DO know the risks. People walking down the street (or crossing the street) are also taking chances, but they shouldn't have to worry about being run down by giant egos out to prove that their engine (and their privates - and that goes for women, too) are bigger.

I stand by my words.

c'mon guys, relax.
Everyone's guilty of hammering the gas now and then, laying some rubber on occasion. But I think what most are getting at is racing side by side and 20+ over the speed limit is where the line needs to be drawn.

Sure something can happen at any speed. But my "opinion" if you go over 20 mph the posted limit, you are seriously changing the statistics, and that kind of driving should be at the track.

Again, my "opinion" there's nothing wrong with showing Mr. GTO or Mr. Charger how fast your pony gets up and goes to the speed limit, and maybe a few over. But to do anything more gets really dangerous.

Its fun I know! But keep it safe, and within reason of the speed limits.

And this coming from a guy who has buried the speedometer, I know hypocrite.
Late at night on an empty expressway, only me and the animals were at risk.

05PONYCAR said:
Better get your facts straight, bud...

1. I'm a woman.
2. I drive a V-6 Mustang.
3. I've never revved at a light.
4. I've never had a 'kill' or tried for one.

Bottomline... Your comments about pedestrians being wary that an accident could happen...? Sure, of course they do. Accidents happen all the time. People have been killed here at bus stops. But were the drivers going 100 mph down a residential street? NO.

If a guy has a medical condition, loses his control of his vehicle during normal operation and kills someone THAT is an 'accident.' If a street racer kills that same person - it's voluntary manslaughter. You do the math.

People visiting the track DO know the risks. People walking down the street (or crossing the street) are also taking chances, but they shouldn't have to worry about being run down by giant egos out to prove that their engine (and their privates - and that goes for women, too) are bigger.

I stand by my words.
sorry...i didnt know you were a chick...then my bad...i understand your point...i thought you were a guy being soft...now i get your stance

nghtrnnr said:
true true...but you know i never shy from gettin bombed bro.....and a v6 mustang has more than enough power to get you past the slowpokes going 20mph under the speed limit...you bought the next level...:winks
I bought the V8 because I like the vroom vroom sound. :)

nghtrnnr said:
DIDNT 5TWENTY BURN RUBBER OUT OF THE DEALERSHIP? GUESS HE WASNT WORRIED ABOUT SOME LIL KID RIDING HIS LIL BIKE PAST THE LOT THEN WAS HE?
met·a·phor ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mt-fôr, -fr)
n.
A figure of speech in which a word or phrase that ordinarily designates one thing is used to designate another, thus making an implicit comparison, as in “a sea of troubles” or “All the world's a stage” (Shakespeare).
One thing conceived as representing another; a symbol: “Hollywood has always been an irresistible, prefabricated metaphor for the crass, the materialistic, the shallow, and the craven” (Neal Gabler).

When I said I laid rubber out of the dealership I wasn't being literal. I used a metaphor to express that I drive my car hard and I have since day 1. I don't street race and you won't find a post of mine indicating I do. You will find many posts of mine about how I am at the LEGAL drag races twice a week. You know, a drag strip, where there are no innocent bystanders, everyone there knows the risks, and there is a medical crew standing by for every race to make sure emergency care is available immediately in case there is an accident.

5twenty said:
met·a·phor ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mt-fôr, -fr)
n.
A figure of speech in which a word or phrase that ordinarily designates one thing is used to designate another, thus making an implicit comparison, as in “a sea of troubles” or “All the world's a stage” (Shakespeare).
One thing conceived as representing another; a symbol: “Hollywood has always been an irresistible, prefabricated metaphor for the crass, the materialistic, the shallow, and the craven” (Neal Gabler).

When I said I laid rubber out of the dealership I wasn't being literal. I used a metaphor to express that I drive my car hard and I have since day 1. I don't street race and you won't find a post of mine indicating I do. You will find many posts of mine about how I am at the LEGAL drag races twice a week. You know, a drag strip, where there are no innocent bystanders, everyone there knows the risks, and there is a medical crew standing by for every race to make sure emergency care is available immediately in case there is an accident.
oh...when i say somethin i generally mean it...when i burned rubber out the dealer i burned rubber out the dealer.....you a chick too?

Bottom line is this.... If you can afford to buy a 300hp hot rod, then pony up the $15 bucks and head to the track. It's legal and a hellava lot safer than running down a poorly lit street at 2 am in the morning.

Other observations:

1) Idiotism does not care about age. Just pick up the paper. It's full of fruitcakes, morons, you name it.
2) I've been and attended Drag Race, Road Race Tracks all my life. 100's of times. Never saw 1 car fly into the stands. Never…
3) If you hurt one or more of my family members through your arrogant thinking that street racing is "OK", the law, fixing you car, etc. is the VERY least of your worries. Trust me on this one.

nghtrnnr said:
sorry...i didnt know you were a chick...then my bad...i understand your point...i thought you were a guy being soft...now i get your stance
Thanks nghtrnnr... :)

I've enjoyed other topics with you... I'm glad this one worked out.

nghtrnnr said:
Ummm. On this forum we use the term "Lady" not "Chick". Unless the "Lady" request to be called a "Chick".

pcfrisch said:
I bought the V8 because I like the vroom vroom sound. :)
" 'The Sound of Power!' By Marx..."

(Assuming I'm not the only one old enough to remember that cool addition to the handle bars of guys' Schwinn Stingray bikes! :winks )

nghtrnnr said:
you a chick too?
Would that make you feel differently about my opinion?

I recall a post by you saying you would never street race again. Off the wagon?

Discussion starter · #55 ·
I still think the mini-van driver that's trying to manage 4 kids, 2 pets, a cel phone, a cup of coffee and a smoke is far more dangerous than any street racer.:winks

05PONYCAR said:

(Assuming I'm not the only one old enough to remember that cool addition to the handle bars of guys' Schwinn Stingray bikes! :winks )
I liked playing cards in the spokes.

Cdvision said:
I still think the mini-van driver that's trying to manage 4 kids, 2 pets, a cel phone, a cup of coffee and a smoke is far more dangerous than any street racer.:winks
thank you....dont forget the southpark episode on old folks drivin...lol

05PONYCAR said:

I love Stingrays. I had one when I was a kid. I had the 5 speed (stick shift style) with a banana seat and a rear slick tire. I never street raced it... However sidewalk racing was legal back then!

5twenty said:
Would that make you feel differently about my opinion?

I recall a post by you saying you would never street race again. Off the wagon?
i was off the wagon by the end of that post

nghtrnnr said:
***** christ guy..are you kidding me?
I just wanted to see your response. :) Not bad.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.