Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just picked up my 2006 gt...it had 10 on in from factory...people say to go under 60 for the first 1000 miles...that cant be true...has to be an old wives tale right?i mean really...i just bought a new mustang...it isnt a saturn for christs sake...it was made to go from birth wasnt it?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
its good to take it easy for the first coupld hundred miles so everything gets seated where it needs to be.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
owners manual doesnt mention it at all...pretty much says just have fun kid.its all the old guys on the block that keep giving me their sage advice...just checkin with other owners

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
nghtrnnr said:
i just picked up my 2006 gt...it had 10 on in from factory...people say to go under 60 for the first 1000 miles...that cant be true...has to be an old wives tale right?i mean really...i just bought a new mustang...it isnt a saturn for christs sake...it was made to go from birth wasnt it?
It has been said before … those miles that were on your car before you picked it up prolly weren't the kindest of miles. The only way bro you're going to keep it under 60 mph is if you drive in reverse :laughlitt

·
Registered
867 Posts
I think I held it under 60 for the first 1000 FEET :laughlitt

·
Registered
209 Posts
StangOwner2B said:
wadduz the owner's manual say? not being a smart ass (this time). i just don't have an owner's manual...or a 'stang yet.:handball:
The owner's manual states that no break-in is necessary. It however also states that if you want to break it in, you should avoid driving at the same speed or RPM for a prolonged period. In other words, let her rip..., but stay off that stupid rev limiter.:happyhapp

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Sigh....you should really search for previous break-in threads. It's been gone over a thousand times....

1)Go any speed you want The ony stipulation is that you varying the speed for the first 1k miles. If you want to floor it off the line go ahead.
2)The piston seals are seated stright out of the factory and with new model engines there is no break-in oil, hence no need for special break-in fluids. So you don't need to change your oil after the first 500 miles or something.

You can go over 60 if you want, just don't set it on 60 for for 3 hours straight.

And last but not least, if you don't want throttle lag after your breakin, drive it how you will drive it when it is broken in. If you drive like grandma to try and protect the engine for breakin, then your car's computer will learn that and it will respond to those driving habits over time. Hewnce why some people complain there is a loss in throttle response after they break it in, compared to when they drove it off the lot.

A lot of that advice came from a few Ford Salesman...but take it as you will. You car is under waranty for three years...keep tha in mind.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Picked mine up 3 hours from my house. Had it over 100 within the first hour of driving home. 6000 miles later and still runs like a champ. She's made to run right outta the box.

·
Registered
155 Posts
highway 70

As soon as I got my Windveil Blue beauty. 4.0 v6 Highway 70 St. Charles Missouri. Forget about it. 100 mph no in between. And now it seems my car likes to go fast. It's all how you raise your kids. :naughty

·
Registered
51 Posts
Break-in Period

junior said:
The owner's manual states that no break-in is necessary. It however also states that if you want to break it in, you should avoid driving at the same speed or RPM for a prolonged period. In other words, let her rip..., but stay off that stupid rev limiter.:happyhapp
Yes, I know it says vary your speed for the first 1000 miles. I wouldn't red-line it before then. Why would you?

·
Registered
502 Posts
PHATTZZ STANG said:
As soon as I got my Windveil Blue beauty. 4.0 v6 Highway 70 St. Charles Missouri. Forget about it. 100 mph no in between. And now it seems my car likes to go fast. It's all how you raise your kids. :naughty
Yeah Phattzz...Dixi hit the century mark too, on our way back home from Richmond...those 3.55s in fifth are buttah!

·
Registered
3 Posts
nghtrnnr said:

Do you have 18" rims on that GT? I heard the 18" rims were delaying orders...?

·
Registered
24 Posts
zregime said:
Yeah Phattzz...Dixi hit the century mark too, on our way back home from Richmond...those 3.55s in fifth are buttah!
Yea, just hit the century mark too. Took my daughter on a college visit this weekend from the Peoples' Republic of MD to Connecticut, Rhode Isalnd, Massachusetts (another republic), and back.

Couldn't resist on I95--no cops, little traffic, it was awesome. My 17 year-old daughter was loving it. "Don't ever tell your mother..."

As for break-in, followed the varying speed recs of the manual--0-60-0 always. Seemed to work well, thanks,

Mr. Toad

LLR# 0063

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
heh...not even first thousand miles and i cracked the front bumper....ON MY WAY TO GET THE RACING STRIPE PUT ON...i had to order a new bumper...cost me 600 dollars...yayyy

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts