Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a show last night that was showing the new Flat Rock car plant where they make our Stangs. I have a project coming to the end and thought it would be cool to go, take a tour, and see the place that made my cool car.

Does anyone have any info. about the plant? I looked on the net but didn't really find anything.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Boglin said:
I saw a show last night that was showing the new Flat Rock car plant where they make our Stangs. I have a project coming to the end and thought it would be cool to go, take a tour, and see the place that made my cool car.

Does anyone have any info. about the plant? I looked on the net but didn't really find anything.
I don't think they have tours, but here is a number you can talk to a real live person for information 1-800-392-3673

G

·
They have a website: http://www.autoalliance.com/

Plant tours says " Plant Tours are not currently conducted." but, I'd try that phone number & see what happens. A couple folks have managed to get a tour, but it doesnt sound like they have any sort of regular schedule.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I want to GO !!!!

why doesnt some one orginize a tour ? lets get everyones names and interest and all call for a tour date ? I would really like to go And i live in california So someone let me know !!!!!!! I AM THERE !!!!!!!!:eyepoppin

·
Registered
176 Posts
A TMS member just posted pics of this plant recently.check it out:eyepoppin

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
boltzman said:
A TMS member just posted pics of this plant recently.check it out:eyepoppin
Does anyone have a link to this????

·
Registered
271 Posts

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Ive got a short video of the plant and them building the mustang. Cant remember where I got it from, but I can send via email if you post email address. I dont think its too large for most the emails. Since most are allowing large attachments now.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Think about it for a bit

Huge Plant
Lots of regular Working types
Huge story if it went boom
9-11

nuff said

no tours of car plants

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
RJOlson said:
Huge Plant
Lots of regular Working types
Huge story if it went boom
9-11

nuff said

no tours of car plants
No one said they had to let Osama in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Ford Heritage plant (F-150s) at the old Rouge mill has tours through Henry Ford Museum. Don't buy Saturday tickets -- they are a sucker's bet as there is no vehicle production on most Saturdays.

I toured Flat Rock on Monday and missed seeing my car come off the line by about 90 minutes. I was offered the tour by a guy I do work with from AAI who is well-placed enough to get me in. I will never forget it. I have been to auto parts manufacturers (stampers, injection molding, etc.) and I've been to steel mills (1000 ways to die), but I have never been to a vehicle assembly plant and have never seen anything like this. It was fascinating. I was surprised by how relatively quiet it was, and you could practically eat off of the floor. The sheet metal welding looked to all be robotic which was pretty neat, but the coolest thing is when the engine, transmission and rear axle meet up and get fed up into the chassis. They are all sequenced with V-6's, V-8's and 4 bangers mixed intermittently with front or rear drive components depending on if it was a GT, V-6 Mustang or Mazda 6 chassis. Add to that that the Mustangs could also be coups or 'verts and the Mazda 6's come in, I think, 3 styles including a wagon, and it was American (and Japanese) ingenuity at its best. Truly amazing. I wish every car person had the chance to see it. And especially the Mustang people!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts