Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purest of Heart

For the restorers out there, What color were the 260 blocks and what color were the valve covers? we are restoring one.

thanks
Jess

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
Jess said:
Purest of Heart

For the restorers out there, What color were the 260 blocks and what color were the valve covers? we are restoring one.

thanks
Jess
black block, gold valve covers and air cleaner, unless you have an Indy Pacesetter, then the valve covers and air cleaner is blue

·
Registered
3 Posts
color 260 V8

The color of your valve cover and air cleaner depends on the build date.
It can be light blue or gold. The engine of the very first mustangs were light blue. See also the mustang restoration guide and the following article.
In my mustang from the San Jose plant with number 100784 (scheduled build date 17 july 1964) the air cleaner end valve covers were light blue.

http://www.mocsem.com/correctcolor.asp

The 101-horse 170ci six had a bright red valve cover and air cleaner. The optional base V-8, the 260-2V with 164 hp, had a Light Ford Blue air cleaner and valve covers. The 210hp 289-4V was a low-compression small-block with a gold air cleaner and valve covers. Like the 170ci six and the 260ci V-8, the 289-4V had a black block, oil pan, timing cover, water pump, and cylinder heads. The 289 High Performance with 271 hp sported a black block, oil pan, timing cover, water pump, and cylinder heads, with the chrome dress-up kit that included valve covers and an open-element air cleaner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
eriksmus said:
The color of your valve cover and air cleaner depends on the build date.
It can be light blue or gold. The engine of the very first mustangs were light blue. See also the mustang restoration guide and the following article.
In my mustang from the San Jose plant with number 100784 (scheduled build date 17 july 1964) the air cleaner end valve covers were light blue.

http://www.mocsem.com/correctcolor.asp

The 101-horse 170ci six had a bright red valve cover and air cleaner. The optional base V-8, the 260-2V with 164 hp, had a Light Ford Blue air cleaner and valve covers. The 210hp 289-4V was a low-compression small-block with a gold air cleaner and valve covers. Like the 170ci six and the 260ci V-8, the 289-4V had a black block, oil pan, timing cover, water pump, and cylinder heads. The 289 High Performance with 271 hp sported a black block, oil pan, timing cover, water pump, and cylinder heads, with the chrome dress-up kit that included valve covers and an open-element air cleaner.
OK need a little help. Just bought a 64.5(65) RagTop. Finishing the restoration the other guy started. If I do the obvious inprovements, other than boring engine block because I understand their fairly thin walled blocks to begin with, like cam,intake,carb,headers can I get this 164hp engine up to +/- 235hp?

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello.:) 235 HP is very doable.Roller rockers,dual exhaust with headers, a 4bbl and an aluminium intake like an Edelbrock F4B or an S2MS and a modest ignition upgrade like a pertronix coil and distributor module should get you there with some change left over.
My 64 1/2 260 convertible had been sitting in a barn since the early 70s when I dragged it out of there and the valve covers and breather were the early Ford blue.Here it is all cleaned up.Hope that helps.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
260 V8

Veronica said:
Hello.:) 235 HP is very doable.Roller rockers,dual exhaust with headers, a 4bbl and an aluminium intake like an Edelbrock F4B or an S2MS and a modest ignition upgrade like a pertronix coil and distributor module should get you there with some change left over.
My 64 1/2 260 convertible had been sitting in a barn since the early 70s when I dragged it out of there and the valve covers and breather were the early Ford blue.Here it is all cleaned up.Hope that helps.:)
Veronica

Any time you want to let loose of the drop top please let me know I can find a good home for it in the central valley. My mechanic just restored a 64.5 and refell in love with early Mustangs. If the rest of the car looks as sweet as the engine bay you have a beautiful drop top.

Jess

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Thank you, Jess.That is very sweet of you to say that.:) The car looks like that everywhere but the undercarriage,I haven't detailed that out because that's my car that I drive every day.It's clean and solid with original sheet metal down there, I just haven't put the stripes on the drive shaft, the markings on the rear axle assembly, all of that stuff.It already has a good home :gringreen .I really like that car.Turn the key and it starts right up.I might have the only C4 on the planet that doesn't leak.It runs very quiet.It's as if the car wasn't even running when sitting at traffic lights.Doesn't even vibrate,it just sits there dead quiet and dead still,so I guess I'll keep driving it.It took a little while to get it into that condition.But thanks.:)

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello. :) You dug pretty deep to find this one. :gringreen I ran pertronix for a long time in that car in the picture. I now have it back on the points, and have the timing set at about 9 degrees BTDC, which is how I had it with the pertronix also. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.