Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 with a 6 cyl. that makes a funny sound when I accelerate, only when I accelerate, only when I am in drive, and only over about 10 mph. The sound is sort of a rattle, sort of an intermitent squeal. If I am maintaining constant speed, or have my foot off the gas, the sound goes away. I searched under the hood, and nothing seems to be loose, all the fluids are fine, and there appear to be no leaks. I recently replaced the timing chain, and rebuilt the carb. Any thoughts, this one has me baffled.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Detonation?

Hard to say when we can't hear the noise ourselves but sounds like it could maybe be detonation. Check your timing and next time you fill up pop for some higher octain gas especially if you live in one of those places that requires ethenol be added to the fuel and see if that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
redux

okay, so i've been running on premium over the holidays, checked the timing, but the noise persists, it isn't affecting acceleration at all. I am wondering about an exhaust leak where the pipe meets the manifold. Any other suggestions would be appreciated

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.