Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will never get the idea of using synthetic oil vs . conventional oil in newer cars. But here is where i'm getting at. If you use 5-6 dollar a quart synthetic oil, vs. $2 a quart conventional are you really getting the high milage of your cars becasuse of the type of oil??? or change intervals? or both?

I have a 1993 Toyota Corolla 1.8 ltr I-4. It has 320K and still going strong, in fact just checked compression when i did the timing belt and it was still with in spec. I belive its 160-170 psi. This car passes smog and doesnt burn or leak any oil. I use only 10w-30 conventional oil, with generic filters. I know this because i get the oil changed every 3-5K at a local cheap oil change place for 12 bucks. I had a 1990 Acura integra that had 280K before i sold it, and I also used the same type oil and filter, with 3-5K change intervals. I had a 1996 Corvette with an LT4, it recomends mobil 1 10W30 and before i sold that car it had 90K, and was leaking at its rear main seal just a tad. I use to spend a fortune on oil changes because the mobil 1 filter was 10 bucks and the oil was 5 bucks a quart! I just dont know if that really helped the engine or not?

My point is how many people out there have tons of miles on their cars that they use to commute in, or daily driver type that just changes the oil with what ever you throw at it, rather than buying expensive oil products?

i have an 06' GT, and i bought 5 quart bottles of Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend oil at walmart for $10. and a motorcraft filter for $3. I think I'm gonna stick with this set up, rather than going full synthetic. I just dont feel the extra cost of the oil is justifiable for street use. I know there are benifits of full synthetic and that stuff, but is it worth the extra money?? I have a friend who owns an auto repair shop, and he works on lincoln town car limos. They have 4.6 modular motors in those, and they are getting 200K on conventional oil. I would wonder if using full synthetic would make them last longer??

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
It is a proven fact that the internals of engines that have used synthetics versus conventional oil that the internals show less wear over the long run. You have had great luck with your cars (the vette being the exception). Why do you think semi trucks get 1 million miles out of the rig, other than the fact that it's diesel. The reason is that they:

1. get regular oil/filter changes and other maintenance, and
2. They use a by-pass filtration system.

The by-pass filtration removes particles as small as 1 micron and your filter removes 20-30 micron in size particles. (A high quality filter MAY remove particles down to 10-15 micron).

The synthetic oils show the best improvements in very hot and very cold climates & the fact that you can use extended drain intervals. Changing a good syn at 3k miles is throwing good oil away. (Keep in mind what type of filter you use, it makes a big difference.)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that synthetic oil is superior, but i've seen other toyota and honda engines last long (over 250k) with conventional oil, actually a lot!. I've also seen a mercedes benz (deisel engine) with 750K, and also conventional oil. I also know the filter makes a difference, but will it make my mustang last 250K+??? with the syntetic blend 5w20? and a motorcraft filter? or should i spend more money on synthetic?? is the cost justified??

check out this site for high milage toyotas, they seem to claim to use conventional oils.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
114 Posts
Being as I am in the oil bus. The one thing I find is lot of people chince out on oil quality. If you look at all the expenses for a year from gas to repairs etc. Lubrication is the least amount of money you spend on a vehicle during the year yet it is the one thing that can reduce the biggest expense "repairs" So when looking at oil do even think of the cost use the best lubes available and you will save in the long run

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
toolttime said:
Being as I am in the oil bus. The one thing I find is lot of people chince out on oil quality. If you look at all the expenses for a year from gas to repairs etc. Lubrication is the least amount of money you spend on a vehicle during the year yet it is the one thing that can reduce the biggest expense "repairs" So when looking at oil do even think of the cost use the best lubes available and you will save in the long run
Thats probably true, but in my case with the toyota corolla, the only thing major i spent on it was a transmission mount bushing that wore out because of the high milage. The A/C went out at 200K, and everything else is original. My acura had minimal problems too, but had quite a few more than the toyota, such as repaced the distributor and had the head worked on becuase of a broken timing belt. My Vette (which i used the best oil and parts) gave me the most problems. I know, I know, its a GM car and thats probably why.....but I'm wondering if my GT will give me a lot of miles (like over 200K) by using the recomended oil and filter from the factory? How many people do you know that has a quarter million miles on their mustangs? usually, they are garage queens and second cars that are used for pleasure and not daily drivers. Like in my previous post, my friend owns an auto repair shop and he services lincoln town car limosines,and they get 200K+ on their modual 4.6 motors on conventional oils. Does anyone follow my point? Is the higher cost of Synthetic justified for street durability? (i'm not talking about race or heavy duty use):rolleyes:

·
Registered
622 Posts
sincitystang said:
. I had a 1996 Corvette with an LT4, it recomends mobil 1 10W30 and before i sold that car it had 90K, and was leaking at its rear main seal just a tad.
:rolleyes:
I'm just guessing, but I'm not sure quality of oil affects the quality of the seal.... or compression for that matter.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nonsensez9 said:
I'm just guessing, but I'm not sure quality of oil affects the quality of the seal.... or compression for that matter.
I'm not sure either, but i've heard using synthetic oils on older engines, they can leak from the seals. From my Vette, well they all leaked from the rear main seals (lt1 or lt4 gen II engines).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm driving my 05 year round in Canada, and the temperature can drop very low at times. I think synthetic is a good idea for low temperature climates. Funny, the owner's manual recommends synthetic for US market, but just regular oil for Canada.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The one thing I noticed as soon as I put in synthetic in both my 05 Stang and my F-350 is a noticeable increase in fuel economy. Especially in city driving.

·
Registered
21 Posts
66stang351 said:
The one thing I noticed as soon as I put in synthetic in both my 05 Stang and my F-350 is a noticeable increase in fuel economy. Especially in city driving.
Was it right after the break-in period?:laughlitt

·
Registered
305 Posts
Frost said:
Was it right after the break-in period?:laughlitt
6,000 miles on the stang and 60,000 on the F-350 when I switched.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have a 1990 CRX-Si with 200,000 miles on it. It has been using conventional oil 5W30 with 3,000 mile oil change intervals its' whole life. That car is always parked outside and has seen everything from Monteral winters to 25 passes down the drag strip in a single day. The engine hasen't been touched other than routine maintenance.

My 05 had only seen conventional oil up until the day I was storing it. Since it just reached 14,000km or 8,700miles I switched to Mobil1 5W20. For the 2 oil changes I'll be doing each year it's just a little added peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
One thing to consider in the longevity of cars is that a 4 cylinder has nearly half the parts (half the chance of breakage) AND it is possible that four cylinders are not driven as hard as our beloved sports cars.

... But any car with 200k+ mileage without ANY engine/tranny problems is good luck and a result of good preventive maintenance.

It is said that syn "frees up" lost parasitic power - if for no other reason I suggest using it.

G

·
i have been going to ford for everything mechanical with my car because i'm sort of paranoid about anywhere else while its new....do any of you go to mom and pop spots for your oil change with your new stang?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Waxed'05 GT said:
One thing to consider in the longevity of cars is that a 4 cylinder has nearly half the parts (half the chance of breakage) AND it is possible that four cylinders are not driven as hard as our beloved sports cars.

... But any car with 200k+ mileage without ANY engine/tranny problems is good luck and a result of good preventive maintenance.

It is said that syn "frees up" lost parasitic power - if for no other reason I suggest using it.
I dont think 4 cyl makes a difference in longevity. I have seen GM police cruizers and taxi's with LT1's(8 cyl) getting 200+, and I've seen Limo's with 4.6 Modulars(8cyl) in them getting the same with conventional oil. A former co-worker has a 70's or 80's 300D (6 cyl) Mercedes benz deisel and swears that engine has 3/4 of a million miles. I think the documented record for a passenger car is a 84 Toyota Corolla with 2.5 million miles.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thanks for bringing this up, I've been wondering about it as well. We have a 97 F150 with over 190,000 miles. We always used regular oil, but changed oil and filter religiously every 3000 miles, even if we were on vacation. We bought a used Cherokee w/90,000 miles on it about 7-8 years ago. It's a 92. We've kept up with her oil changes the same and she has 215,000 miles now. My dealer offers Ford vehicle oil and filter changes for $9.95. I can't help but think that if I am faithful to my GT, she will give me the same mileage results, but I never drove the truck or jeep 140mph or hauled butt from every stop! My hubby is CHEAP and will probably stick with the regular oil.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Those are some impressive numbers, but there are no clear cut reasons why certain cars run longer than others. You seem to have a good streak of long lasting cars, but the facts still stand, and test have proven the durability of synthetic oil over conventional oil.

One problem I have with your statement is that you compared a corolla and acura with conventional oil and a vette with synth. Now I would say if you had a second corolla with synth same year and compared the miles, then you'd have a reaosnable comparison. But you can't compare a big block V8 vette and a 4 cyl corolla and narrow it down to the diff in oil that made the engine go quicker. I would think you drove that vette harder since it was a sports car(plus the vette's leak didnt mean the engine died, nor did it mean it had a lesser life than the others)

I feel your comparing apples and oranges.

PS I heard it's bad once you have synthetic in your engine you can't go back to conventional, but that's just a rumor(fyi, you stang comes stock with full synthetic)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
the shop runs mystic 50w heavy duty conventional in our 4.6l crown vic police crusiers. my current 2000 has 97,000 with no prob, my last one, a 93 vic had 220,000 on it when i parked it on its retirement day. same oil, original engine. 4th tranny though.....:eyebulge:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Apples and Oranges

Ok let me start by saying I was a mechanic in my younger days for about 12yrs, I'm a truck driver now. The toyota's and Acura are built with engine tolerances that most American car manufactorers can't touch, except on their high end engine's. The 4.6 and 4.0 are a mix of steel aluminum and plastic. The worst thing you can do is blow off your oil change in hot or cold weather. Some oils have Parafin which is WAX thats the sludge you see sometimes, penzoil has the highest parafin base. Of the conventional oil Valvoline and Castrol didn't have parafin in them, mind you this was in the early 90's when I got out of wrenching. Regular maintence and descent oil will go a long way. If one of the toyata's had been driven say with a bad thermostat, that would have cooked your oil and engine. It only takes once, My stepson called me last night and his girlfriends car was running bad, apparently with a recent motor change, Acura, I told him to have it towed to prevent further damage. He called today they went ahead and drove it for a couple more miles--It burned to the ground a couples miles down the road. Its alot of factors added up good oil regular maintence, and yes the syn's are better by far- call it insurance for your ride on a hot day. Worst thing you can do is put stupid people behind the wheel. if your lucky and get high miles then maybe you something going for you like common sense. oh and by the way I sold a chevlle with a 350 (383) I built, with 200,000 HARD miles and syn was run after 120,000 or so. Mind you I built the engine with tolerance tighter than any foreign car I could find, it was my daily driver.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.