Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting kinda sick of burning my hand on the shifter because of all the heat coming through the glass roof. I was thinking of limo tinting the roof, anyone tint their roof.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Most of the heat from the shifter comes upward from the transmission/engine/exhaust, and is normal. Things are tight underneath most vehicles, probably gets worse after a "hot soak" from parking after a long drive. Tinting the top darker than it already is would help very little, and tinting it in limo would just about defeat the purpose of having the glass top if you can't see through it except on the most extremely bright days.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
^^^ Although you're right that most heat comes from below, I think the OP is most concerned with sunlight coming in the top. Besides, a new car shouldn't have engine heat coming in the shifter! :kooky:

I don't have a glass roof -- but I have used limo tint (well 5%). I thought it added very nice shade to my car, it did help with heat from the sun (I have a black interior!), and I had minimal problems with visibility. I used to have 5% all around (quarters, rear, passenger, & driver) until the po-po made me take it off (and indirectly permit me to use 20% on the fronts) and I only had issues on really dark nights where there were no streetlights. Since you're only talking about the roof - I say go for it!! :D There's no legal issues, it will look mean, and make the interior darker and cooler. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i know it is not from long drives. I have a 5min drive to work. It was from those really hot days and i would head out for lunch after the car has been sitting in the sun for about 4 hours. Maybe i just need one of those visors to put in front of the windshield but the shifter gets very hot and it is not from the tranny.

Good info though...guess i was just looking at my car as a greenhouse and tint can help a bit, not a lot but some

Edit: thanks for the comment, yeah i thought it would look pretty mean also. I'll let you know how it turns out

·
Registered
49 Posts
^^^ Although you're right that most heat comes from below, I think the OP is most concerned with sunlight coming in the top. Besides, a new car shouldn't have engine heat coming in the shifter! :kooky:
I'm not talking about heat entering the car from blowing in/leaks/etc; The shifter is bolted directly to the transmission and conducts heat. It will get hot, and of course direct sunlight will also heat up the shifter/shifter ball, so tint will help some. The OP asked, so therefore he was undecided. Tint will help, but not with drive train radiated heat.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
do ya have black leather to that allone kills my back.
ouch i can feel it now

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
black leather and aluminum shifter.

And LRH i'm farmilar with the heat you are speaking about from under the car. This is from the sun for sure because it effects the metal on the stearing wheel also. I might must want a shade for the front window but just wondering if anyone had success with tinting the glass roof.

·
Registered
585 Posts
just had to have it? now you have toasty fingers. an even trade?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i got the last 09 on the lot so i didnt get to pick color or options, even though i like them all. But i saw the info on the seat warmer but the finger warmer i cant find out how to turn it off.

I figure if that lady can sue mcdonalds for hot coffee then maybe i'll sue ford or the sun for burning my fingers

·
Registered
13 Posts
OP, do you not have your roof tinted at all?

I've found that most of the heat on my shifter comes in through the windshield, which has no tint at all (although it also has the largest surface area exposed to the sun at all times, which is part of the problem. If your roof isn't tinted at all, I would do a little bit, but not much, but that's just because of the glare.

I wouldn't do limo or heavy tint though, because that would defeat the purpose of the glass roof. Looks like the only option is to get one of those sun reflector things for your windshield and try to fashion one for the roof as well.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah it is tinted a little bit...i suppose what i need is a shade for the front. Just seems way hotter than my previous car with a shifter and the only difference was the glass roof. Good to talk this through. thanks guys

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good point or put a sock or something over the shifter.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got the black leather in a black car and no glass roof and i know exactly what your talking about. I park my car at 9am and get in it again at 6pm and i have to use a hat over the shifter until the ac vents cool it off. (close the outside 2 vents and point the center ones dtraight down crank ac) Dont think the glass roof has all that much to do with it. Think ill try the sun shade. it would still look cool tinting the top though.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
get a shifter that isn't all aluminum, something that absorbs less heat. Or try and put some material underneath the console to prevent the heat from entering the shifter.

·
Dragon Tail Master
2013 Mustang V6 Brembo
2,581 Posts
Your Aluminum Shifter is like the Aluminum on my Brake and throttle pedals, and since they are not in the sun at all it is just the heat inside your car from sitting in the sun, and I don't have a glass roof either.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I noticed the same heat back in the summer of 08. Soon after that I got the windshield and the roof tinted. Still kinda hot inside after being parked in the sun for a while though. I swapped the black leather in the car for some cloth Recaro seats (not because of the heat issue) so I will see if the interior is any cooler now.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I agree with the suggestion of a sock. Easiest fix of all. Also you could try changing the shift knob to something that won't conduct as much heat.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'd say get a visor first and then if that doesn't work, tint it. A visor is not as permanent as tint.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Pootiestang, I am just north of you and I vote for the two options above.

A regular size (not jumbo or large) sunshade is a great fit in the windshield of a Mustang and will help on interior heat in general. (I use one in each of my vehicles all summer long.)

Since I hated freezing my hand in the winter as much as I hate burning my hand in summer, I replaced my shiftknob. (Picked up one from Gabberpony to match my paint.)

I think whomever came up with a metal shift knob either lived in southern California where temps are always balmy and never hot nor cold OR they never had to park outside...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.