Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Search for Camber Plates

Does anyone here have any first-hand experience in running with Vorshlag's latest Caster Camber Plates? Their latest iteration of their S197 plate is a robust design with a solid spring mount.

I am preparing for a HPDE next month, and my front struts are in need of replacement. I am replacing the worn FRPP struts with two Koni Sport Yellows. Along with this install, I want to do away with the camber eccentric bolts that are being used for alignment.

My debate is between Maximum Motorsport's plates and the Vorshlag plates. I am not too keen on the idea of the MM's re-using/cannibalizing the rubber isolater, and I like Vorshlag's design much better for longevity and for a more rigid setup.

This car is still going to be my daily driver, and my main concern with going to the Vorshlag setup is an increase in road noise transmitting through the cabin.

Anyone have any experience with the Vorshlag mounts+plates?

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
cue csamsh response in . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .
:wink::grin:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cue csamsh response in . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .
:wink::grin:
Haha! It took me a little searching to figure out what [who] you were talking about. I have read through some of his threads, and I see that he has the Vorshlag mounts, according to his signature.

I am leaning more and more toward the Vorshlag plates, as I research the subject more.

The tradeoff of potentially more road noise is a reasonable tradeoff to the plates that re-use the rubber isolater which leads to pops, lousy noises, and eventually failure of the mount as they wear over sometimes a very short time period (some report in as little as 10k miles!). Beyond that, the rubber mount deflects from the camber set by the plates in a cornering situation, which is a compromise. The info I have read on the various forums seem to indicate there is some increased noise with the Vorshlag design, but eliminate the popping and disturbing noises that the rubber mounts will incur over time.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I have a set but haven't had a chance to install them yet. Are you planning on keeping your OE style springs? Keep in mind the spring seats for OEM type springs add close to $50 above the cost of the plates. They will be close to $500.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a set but haven't had a chance to install them yet. Are you planning on keeping your OE style springs? Keep in mind the spring seats for OEM type springs add close to $50 above the cost of the plates. They will be close to $500.
Yes, I am keeping the OEM-type FRPP "P" springs, and I am aware of the $90 increase due to the billet mounts. The Vorshlags are spendy, but so is replacing damaged plates and rubber mounts from early wear-out. I will take the quality path if it prevents cycling through cheaper alternatives.

Are you going to coilovers, Blazin?

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Haha! It took me a little searching to figure out what [who] you were talking about. I have read through some of his threads, and I see that he has the Vorshlag mounts, according to his signature. . . . .
wow he's really slow this week!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Are you going to coilovers, Blazin?
No. I bought the plates along with new wheels and tires, rotors and pads and aside from regular maintenance items I'm not dumping any more money into my car. I enjoy the heck out of it have my eyes set on bigger and better things.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No. I bought the plates along with new wheels and tires, rotors and pads and aside from regular maintenance items I'm not dumping any more money into my car. I enjoy the heck out of it have my eyes set on bigger and better things.
Heh, yeah! I am sure all of us have stated this at some point, only to find another American Muscle box lands on the doorstep the next week. :laugh:

Anyhow, I digress. Thanks for chiming in here. Let me know if you get those Vorshlag plates on before I get my setup assembled here in the next month. I would be interesting in your experiences assembling and using them. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Heh, yeah! I am sure all of us have stated this at some point, only to find another American Muscle box lands on the doorstep the next week. :laugh:

Anyhow, I digress. Thanks for chiming in here. Let me know if you get those Vorshlag plates on before I get my setup assembled here in the next month. I would be interesting in your experiences assembling and using them. :bigthumbsup
I should get the car in the shop tonight but it's going to take me a few weeks to get through everything. It's the time of year for a good cleaning too.

When the bigger and better thing is a GT350 it provides plenty of reason to stash my money and not spend it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As an update to this original post, I decided on the Vorshlag caster camber plates, and I have not regretted the purchase in the least. These I believe are by far the best quality out there! These coupled with the adjustable Koni struts worked wonders for my first time out on the track and they behave excellent on the road.

After riding with them as a daily driver for four months, they have not shown any increase in NVH from my previous setup. The ride is so much more in-control and behaved which can be contributed to both the Konis and the increased camber from the plates!

They don't come cheap, but I think the piece of mind with how many rough roads and potential impact pot holes around warranted these.

For those going down this route, be sure you torque down the top nut ontop the spherical bearing all the way. I found out the hard way that using a torque wrench wasn't enough as one of the nuts started backing off after a HPDE on the track and a month of daily driving. This lead to a creaking noise when moving the steering wheel. After a torquing both sides down with an impact wrench these have not backed off any longer and they are whisper quiet.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
thanks for the update SVT . . . . those do look really nice, much better looking than the Steedas that I have . . . not sure if they really work differently . . . wondering if I should spend the money to change mine . . . .

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
thanks for the update SVT . . . . those do look really nice, much better looking than the Steedas that I have . . . not sure if they really work differently . . . wondering if I should spend the money to change mine . . . .

Get a stock set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,854 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
@JBert

I was originally considering the options between the various plate vendors. The Steeda along with Maximum Motorsports options were high on my list because they are decent quality and had forum posts with lots of people running them on the S197. For the price-point, those are both excellent options.

It really comes down to what you want to pay in order to get the ability to adjust camber (and if you want caster adjustment). For me, the quality in the Vorshlag plates and the piece of mind that the main spherical bearing can survive the rough daily-driver activities of pot-holes, rail road crossings, etc was enough for me to justify the price. I couldn't justify the cost of having down-time while having to replace the Steeda or MM plates due to a broken bearing that couldn't take an impact.

It's not wrong to like nice, quality things; but I feel that one needs to justify the trade-offs and if it fits one's budget. Another way to look at it: you likely won't be happy if the purchasing of the Vorshlags breaks the bank. Whatever you choose it should be for the right reasons. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Thanks for the update SVT. My Steeda plates seem to be holding up OK; though the suspension is getting a bit noisy in general and I wonder if they might be part of the cause. The Vorschlag plates are on my wish list, though not at the top right now. Top priority is to solve my stupid "service advance track" issue. (see thread in the road racing forum if interested)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts