Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my Mustang GT back in Februari. Since then I've driven 22 000 miles with it. A trip from NYC to LA and back helped a lot with racking up the miles.

So far it has been a lot of fun. In the beginning I was driving like a grand pa, but after the trip to LA that changed quite a bit. Taking the car up to 130 miles an hour is a lot of fun. I can help my self in front of the traffic light, for some reason I am always first on the other side of the inter section. It is quite amazing how fast you can throw the car around the corners.

It is a lot of fun to drive.

I am 28 and have been driving without causing an accident for 10 years now. I don't want to be arrogant, but I believe I am a good and respectfull driver. European style baby. I always keep right, I give big trucks space, I don't race other cars in heavy traffic, I don't do stunts when there are other cars around, but still.....

I have a problem with Murpy's law. I do let the car run once in a while when there is hardly any traffic. But I always have to run into that one cop hiding out there (4 speeding tickets).

Then there is the power slide, and burn outs. Again, only when it is quiet out there. But I am always lucky that there is that one cop hiding in the bushes. 1 unsafe movement, and 1 wreckless driving.

The wreckless driving happened last week. I already went to court and luckely the procecuter agreed with me and downgraded it to unreasonable speed.

My point: I need an outlet. I can't drive this car and obey the law to the T. I need a race track. I need to make this car do what it is meant to do. I've been looking around but I can't seem to find a place where I can go and just let it run wild. You need to be member of some club, or you need to take race school (cheapest is around $4000). And then you can get on the track with their car. But that is all besides the point. I just want to go to a track, maybe get some safety lessons and just drive.

Does anyone have a suggestion where I could go?

·
Registered
554 Posts
we have an autocross club that meets on an Ohio State Campus parking lot every week.

Other than that, get some self-control, man! The life you save, could be mine!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I feel your pain brother....only I onyl got pulled over once and got away with a warning.
I can't stop going fast in this thing too....today was an easy 40 mile drive or so and i didnt go below 90 until i got to town lol...topped a 140 before traffic

·
Registered
404 Posts
jasons99gt said:
we have an autocross club that meets on an Ohio State Campus parking lot every week.

Other than that, get some self-control, man! The life you save, could be mine!
got a link to their site?
I'm 42, havent had a ticket since before 18, seriously worried about self control a bit too. I do my best to try and be a careful driver, but with the Mustang GT power on tap-especially with a stick- it might be tough to keep it 100% legal everyday, everywhere...'run what ya brung' drags are neat, but if guy in the other lane hits you, youre screwed- no insurance there...parking lot timed laps around cones would be very cool(they used to call this gymkhana or something didnt they?) but flat out is where the fun is for me...had a lil suzuki quadracer that would do over 70- on a curvy gravel road, that is one intense rush...these cars really need a road course to gallop around on occasion. have been wondering about timed laps on a road course, but didnt know if any restrictions existed...I mean the newspaper car test guys do it- why cant we? Dont want to act 18 again, and dont plan on it, but can anyone out there with a GT honestly say theyve never floored it? Ive already been planning longer way to/from work with a few freeway entry/exit ramps- about the only few seconds of legal fun allowed...hope the car shows up REAL soon(just built today- WOOHOO) but dont want to get in trouble with it either. gonna have to find a weekend track somewhere. as many empty shopping malls as there are, maybe they should open a track? Hopefully there is a place to legally toss it around near the edge a bit. keep us posted :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
mjboerma said:
My point: I need an outlet. I can't drive this car and obey the law to the T. I need a race track. I need to make this car do what it is meant to do.
Two thumbs up. I applaude you, it's a very good decision you made, finding a race track is a safe and fun way to enjoy your car at the fullest without causing problems to others.
Now I wish I could help you, but unfortunately I don't know of a place around you.
Anyway I wanted to say that your decision is the smartest one you could have made. Kudos to ya.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's good to hear that I am not the only one that wants to enjoy the car to the fullest. I will continue my search for a racing course. Maybe I can find an abandoned airfield :) When I do, I'll post it here.

It is funny though. Here I am on the highway doing 75 in a 65 zone. Mini vans flying by left and right, but guess who is getting over? Exactly, me! That was a $300 dollar ticket. I thought that was a little too much, so I plead not guilty and went to court. The funny thing is, that when the prosecuter looked at the ticket he started laughing. "Damn, this is ridiculious. That cop must have had a bad day". He rips up the ticket and tells me that he will nullify it.

There is some justice after all :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Had the same thing happen one morning when I first started out. However, it was the day after I slipped the clutch a bit too much and heated up the pressure plate/clutch (you could smell it) in a brief encounter with a Camero. Anyway, I assumed it was the pressure plate "readjusting" the morning after. Have not had the problem since.

If you get the bunny hopping all the time, and you have a manual transmission, might be a clutch or pressure plate problem...

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Why don't you find some better roads to open her up? Like the empty roads with rails on both sides and no trees for cops to hide behind. And don't do it at night since you can't see if cops would be hiding anyway.

Personally, I never felt the need to really open it up beyond 70...that 0-60 rush is all i need. Still waiting for the opp where I can top it out. Gotta do that at least once.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The untamed beast. I need help.

You need to go to Tulsa, OK in June next year. The Mid-west Ford and Shelby Meet. Four days of great fun. If you want to run that restless pony pay your $100 bucks and spend the day at Hallet Raceway about 35 miles west of Tulsa. Then If you want some hard and fast quarter mile run up to Tulsa raceway and race nothing but other Ford powered cars and trucks. It is definately worth going to. Great speakers at the banquet and fantastic door prizes. See ya there!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would love to take mine to a track too, but I don't know of one anywhere close. Last trip we went on, my hubby gave me a dirty look for kicking it down and zipping past a trailer truck that was acting erratic. I probably got up to 85-90 for a few seconds. He said you know if you get caught speeding, there goes your good insurance rates. Later on in the same trip, he was driving and I was almost asleep. I could hear the wind noise more than usual, so I looked out - things were zipping by pretty fast. me:"So.. How fast ya goin'?" Hubby: "90." me: "something about a pot and a kettle goin' on here..." :laughlitt See, its different when its YOUR foot on the magic pedal.

Its so incredibly smooth at 90, I would love to see 100 or even see what top-out is going to be. 130?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had mine up to 120 mph for a quick burst and I still had a lot of peddle left. I would have held it longer but I certainly don't need a speeding ticket this early in the game. Does anyone know if these cars have governors on them? I've heard that on onboard computer kicks in when you reach a pre-determined speed.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
mustang_randy said:
I had mine up to 120 mph for a quick burst and I still had a lot of peddle left. I would have held it longer but I certainly don't need a speeding ticket this early in the game. Does anyone know if these cars have governors on them? I've heard that on onboard computer kicks in when you reach a pre-determined speed.
Yes, the top speed is computer set at approx 143 mph, it also shuts down the fuel at red line.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I am shocked and appalled by the blatant disregard being shown to our precious environment. You gas-guzzling, selfish people...

:evilchuck :evilchuck :evilchuck

Kansas, Nevada, Wyoming, Montana...all have daytime speed limits of 75. I have heard from the 'rents (parents, living in MT) that if the weather is good and roads are fairly empty, you won't get a look from the po-po's if you're 90 or under. One more reason to hate The People's Republic, and all of the other CCCP franchises springing up in the Northeast...

"Go west, young man." Indeed...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bailiff said:
You need to go to Tulsa, OK in June next year. The Mid-west Ford and Shelby Meet. Four days of great fun. If you want to run that restless pony pay your $100 bucks and spend the day at Hallet Raceway about 35 miles west of Tulsa. Then If you want some hard and fast quarter mile run up to Tulsa raceway and race nothing but other Ford powered cars and trucks. It is definately worth going to. Great speakers at the banquet and fantastic door prizes. See ya there!
Brilliant! It's a little far away, but what the heck! I've been there this summer. It was awesome. I will absolutely go if I can make it. Thank you for the suggestion. Any links on that you can offer?

BTW: on my cross country road trip my friend got my car up to 130 when we were driving from Chicago to Mount rushmoore. It was great. Straight empty highways as far as the eye can see. On that same road I got it up to 120 (on cruise control for at least 30 minutes). Can't wait to bring the car to Germany, driving fast without worrying that cops pull you over.

BTW: street racing is stupid and dangerous for you and others around you.

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
zregime said:
I am shocked and appalled by the blatant disregard being shown to our precious environment. You gas-guzzling, selfish people...

:evilchuck :evilchuck :evilchuck

We love Hybrid cars - they leave more fossil fuel for the real cars :kooky:

I'm heading for the 1/8 mile track at the stadium tonight. The bug has bitten again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
ford4v429 said:
SNIP... on a curvy gravel road, that is one intense rush...these cars really need a road course to gallop around on occasion. have been wondering about timed laps on a road course, but didnt know if any restrictions existed...I mean the newspaper car test guys do it- why cant we? ...SNIP... Hopefully there is a place to legally toss it around near the edge a bit. keep us posted :)
I was talking with a friend the other day about this... Why are there (or ARE there?) any slolum courses to take the party to without fear of reprisal from "the man"? Can't imagine a tire-lined slolum where the turns keep you around 45 mph would cause many injuries. Maybe just an open field where the worst you can do is hit a cone?

I can't imagine anything more boring then going to a straight track and paying... I don't know how much... to have my ass handed to me by someone who knows how fast his car will go to the 10th of a second and drives like it, too.

In fact I can't really imagine any fun in a straight course at all... the only thrill of a straight-course street race for me is the spontenaity (sp?).

·
Registered
502 Posts
2horseowner said:
We love Hybrid cars - they leave more fossil fuel for the real cars :kooky:

I'm heading for the 1/8 mile track at the stadium tonight. The bug has bitten again.
Ha Ha...good one, 2horse! I also read recently in an article on the muscle car renaissance, the following:

Along with their apocalyptic power, the cars’ rebellious, screw-you attitude has been revived as well. An ad for the new Hemi-driven Dodge Charger bellows: “The Charger hybrid: It burns gas and rubber.”

Me and Dix are losing our virginity tomorrow up at the Mason Dixon (ahh, me likey the name) Dragway...I figure if I can break 16, I'll be happy...

...but just wait 'til my bonus next February! SOOPAH CHARGAH CITY, BABES!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
got the speed bug too

I too, am a fellow GT-owner who wants to test her performance car. My spouse finally let me take the Beast to the track this past Friday for the final Test and Tune of the season. Was a lot cheaper to pay $20 to race legally than the $365 ticket I got him for Fathers Day. Can't wait to get my CAI and Ford Racing exhaust for next spring's track season, just need to pick a new shifter to complete the package. And yes I agree, street-racing is just dumb.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I finally found an auto cross in CT: http://www.cartct.com

Last Sunday I took my car down there and let her run. Let me tell you, it was just what I need. Can't wait for the next event. They mananged to shoot a [picture] of me.

The course was on an empty parking lot and my fastest time was 72 seconds. I never got it out of second gear. I guess the top speed was around 60 miles an hour or something. Even if I would have spun out, there was nothing to hit. A nice fun and safe way to enjoy my car. I recommend it for all GT owners!

A video can be found at my weblog.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts