Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you do? My car is parked outside, and although I live in a decent area, I would like to make it harder to steal. It probably wouldn't take much time to pry a window open and hot-wire one of these things.

Thanks,
Ted

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Them old Mustangs, you can get a coat hanger in any window pretty easy. Its a pain, but to start with, you could always remove the coil wire & rotor. its a pain to deal with every day. That would stop some thieves. Iv seen brake locks in magazines. Think Mustang suppliers carry them too. I dont know of any other idea's.

I will be watching for better answers from others here tho!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
You are correct. Unfortunately, these classic Mustangs are one of the easiest cars to start (hot wire). I live in a good neighborhood also but here's the bottom line. If it's a professional thief and they want your car, there's little you can do to keep him from getting it.

In my opinion, your car is attractive to the young, inexperienced person. "The Club" is a PIA deterrent. Just annoying enough not to mess with. And a deterrent is just what you want to deter most of the people. I've replaced "The Club" once. The thief hacked it up so bad I had to use a Sawz-All to get the damaged part off. But I still have the car. My $.02. :winks

·
Registered
142 Posts
Move the battery to the trunk with a killswitch hidden somewhere in the car so they can't bypass and start it at the solenoid. Then slap some lo jack stickers on it and you're good to go!

Thats what I did lol

I also have some USMC stickers and the blue bar, so that helps as well lol

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the ideas, I have been pulling the rotor, but I like the idea of a killswitch type of thing. I think I will get some type of club for further protection. Too bad it would be a real pain to install a Viper ysstem in one of these.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I just pull the rotor whenever I'm at the mall or grocery store. I'm working on getting 3 types of theft deterrent.

There was a company that made shifter handles with a built in lock for automatic transmissions. So even if they started the car, they couldn't shift it out of park.

Next, I'm looking at installing a hidden starter button (think old fashion Jaguars). They could pick the ignition switch and turn it to start all they want, but unless they put the ignition in the "on" position and push the secret button, it's not gonna start.

Third, I'm looking at putting in a hidden battery kill switch. I just have to find a way to keep constant power going to the radio for the presets and the clock, along with to the courtesy lights for my rally pac's clock.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just pull the rotor whenever I'm at the mall or grocery store. I'm working on getting 3 types of theft deterrent.

There was a company that made shifter handles with a built in lock for automatic transmissions. So even if they started the car, they couldn't shift it out of park.

Next, I'm looking at installing a hidden starter button (think old fashion Jaguars). They could pick the ignition switch and turn it to start all they want, but unless they put the ignition in the "on" position and push the secret button, it's not gonna start.

Third, I'm looking at putting in a hidden battery kill switch. I just have to find a way to keep constant power going to the radio for the presets and the clock, along with to the courtesy lights for my rally pac's clock.
Good ideas. For your kill switch just have a small gauge wire from the positive terminal of the switch going to whatever you want to power. Your positive terminal should always be hot.

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
Lot of good ideas here. I think the best way is a combination of things. Make it such a PIA to steal they won't have time. I've made my own door lock buttons that were just little nubs and when locked were flush with the top of the door panel.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well if I did that, then they wouldn't want to take the time to unlock the car and just break the window to get in. I think that the best situation would be to pry the window back, get to the lock, and try to start the car, when they can't, they leave, no $ damage done. Make it harder to get to the lock, they might break the window, can't start it, leave. But i'm not a thief, so I dono.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Usually, a small deterrent will make them skip your car & go onto the next one. Just make sure to tell your buddy not to park next to you! :heha:

yes thanks for all these tips. I dont usually do anything while at the store. From now on, im at least taking the rotor. yep if they get mad & really want in, they will break the window. I used to leave my doors unlocked just for that reason.

Stupid story...years ago i took off the same type lock buttons on my '75 Monte Carlo & put chrome ones on that were smooth and round on top. (to prevent people trying to get into my car) Wouldn't ya know, the next day, i locked my keys in the car. I was sooo wishing i hadn't put them new lock buttons on at that moment. I did get in tho.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
So the moral of the story is if you're a good Mustang thief, google all the threads on Mustang theft prevention.

Then carry an extra rotor with you when you go for the kill.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I just detach my steering wheel, use the gas pedal club, pull the distributor coil wire off, and lock my hood with locks. The only way it'll be gone which I've seen cars get stolen too easy is by a tow truck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts