Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I was driving down the road my wheel about fell of.
Pulled off on side of the road instantly, got out checked the driver side front wheel and ALL 5 lugnuts had just about fallen off.....I mean like they were freely turnable with my fingers...

And as I came to find out I have the original spare tire, original jack but NO lugnut wrench...hm weird I never noticed that before.
So yeah had to walk home get tools and walk back to the car to tighten it.

I think somebody may have tampered with it like they were going to try and steel my rim but didn't finish the job. I was pretty pissed about it.

Soon as I got it tightened down I resumed my journey and had a 4.6L 1996-98 GT pull up next to me, take off. So I take off too, catch up to the guy and see they're laughing because they think they beat me, look over and see me and are like "oh sh!t he caught us" and then I take off...
I felt better after that. :grinroll:

But seriously, I've had horrible luck lately. My car has broken down about once a month and it's ALWAYS the wheels trying to come off or break off or something. Engine and trans work fine 'cause it's a 5.0 and the 5.0 never dies!

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
well one theory is they werent tight or properly tightened in the first place:D
torque wrench and locking lugs :yup:. maybe someone is out to steal your wheels, i had that happen once only 3 of 4 wheels were almost all ready to come off, lucky for me they must have got scared off.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I typically tighten them to 85ft-lb.
I went ahead and tightened all wheels to 95 though to be safe.
...And as far as not being tightened properly...when I do it, I start at 65ft-lb. Tighten all wheels to that, then to 75 do all wheels, then 85 and do all wheels. So it is highly improbable that I missed the same wheel 3 times in a row.

I had locking lugnuts but then one of them rounded out and another almost did as I was tightening it and the shop had a heck of a time drilling it out...so I took all of them off. But now I'm thinking of buying some more, hopefully good quality ones, and putting them back on.

Hey, you're really lucky they failed! I'd be so pissed if someone took my wheels.

·
Registered
511 Posts
im just giving you a hard time:) hopefully they werent loose from someone trying to steal your rims, or just some punk kids thinking its funny to loosen lug nuts.

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
Gastonia doesn't seem to be the type of place where someone would do that to you. But then again, you may have pissed some Southern Boy off....

Based on your stated ritual of tightening all wheels in sequence three times I'd say its very unlikely that you missed one, so that doesn't leave much doubt as to a plausible explanation.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They won't think it's funny if you give them a knuckle sandwich. :gringreen

hahahahahah that gave me quite a laugh last night! :heha:
I'd love to do that to whomever tried making me crash again...(just got the car back on the road after the ball joint broke as I was on the highway)

Yeah I don't think anyone in gastonia would do it. I work in Charlotte though and sometimes I'm in a shady part of town...I honestly wouldn't be surprised if someone was either trying to steal them, or they just broke them loose and then as I drove around the next day they worked themselves loose the rest of the way.

But maybe not. Who knows it was just a really weird thing to randomly happen. everyone I ask says it's wierd. So, I asked on here in case there was some crazy idea I missed like "The heat from the wheels and then the cooling causes an expansion/contraction state which will slowly loosen the lugnuts BUT only when used in conjunction with Rim Cleaner."

·
Registered
221 Posts
check your studs they may have benn loose at one time wich can **** the thread on the studs up. also what wheels doy ou have ? weld wheels alway seem to want to come off my mustang so i always loc tite them . ( i have a shop with a lift and airtools though)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
check your studs they may have benn loose at one time wich can **** the thread on the studs up. also what wheels doy ou have ? weld wheels alway seem to want to come off my mustang so i always loc tite them . ( i have a shop with a lift and airtools though)

Hm that's a good possibility. Also it's possible if they weren't messed up before they are now since the wheel was rolling around on it loose and stuff.

I have like I think they're called the Bullit wheels. They're crhome rims though not welds.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
It's actually not that hard to not get the wheel properly seated on the hub with aluminum wheels. The aluminum likes to corrode where it contacts the steel and that can make them difficult to seat. Then if it's cocked when you're torquing them you'll never know until you drive it.

I always seat the wheel on the hub by hand and start by screwing 2 lug nuts on as far as I can by hand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts