Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my t-stat will rattle in the housing when i sqeeze the upper radiator hose my the other t-stats that have been in did not do this does this mean the stat broke its from autozone also my car doesnt run hot at all while driving but about a week or do ago it was 108deg outside temps were fine ran at 180 but was sitting in a parking lot for about 10min and temps went up to 205-210 i know thats not overheating but i have no ac i tried to cool it a bit by raising the rpm to 2500 and it kept climbing i have a new fan and clutch and mishimoto radiator i also flushed the system before the radiator was installed when i left the parking lot the temps droped back down to 180 just dont know if this is becouse of the stat or not thanks

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Is it possible you installed it up side down? Did you burp the system properly? Turning the heater on will drop temps and should have been done when you refilled the system.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i put the stat in properly had the heater on and after i put the mix of coolant in ran the car with the cap off and just kept filling the radiator as it was needed i put the coolant in the overflow bottle drove the car temps were stable at 180 the next day toped the radiator off.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Your thermostat or housing should not be making any noise what so ever.

·
Registered
526 Posts
There is a check ball located on the top of the T-stat.... that is what you are hearing...

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you think your thermostat is loose take it out and check it. Don't take chances with the possibility of your engine over heating. Did it seat properly when you sat it in as you were installing it?

·
Registered
526 Posts
didnt think that it should also what is a check ball and what is its function thanks
it allows a small amount of coolant flow when the engine is warming up (before the stat opens), and prevents backflow of cooler water from hitting the back side of the stat...

it should be installed with the check ball in the 12 o'clock position so that any air can be purged as well.

that's my understanding anyway

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah its installed right the check ball i always thought that it was called a bleeder valve thanks guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts