Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i went and got me a 180° thermostat, i was wondering what i gained by doing that... if i got and HP or just a cooler running car

·
Registered
11 Posts
No HP gains. However you will run cooler, how much cooler depends on the season and what part of the country you live in.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Kmagn13 said:
ok so i went and got me a 180° thermostat, i was wondering what i gained by doing that... if i got and HP or just a cooler running car
unless you have your computer reprogrammed, it'll stay in choke mode, and you'll lose power and may harm the engine over time. once you get a new fuel map, you may pick up 3 or so hp, over whatever regular tune your running -91, or 87 octane.

·
Registered
11 Posts
3hp...lol, never felt the increase after I changed over to 180 and re-programmed the ECU. Then again I live in Miami where its always friggin 90 degrees coupled with the lovely 70-80% humdity giving us a cool 105 heat index that makes you feel like your boiling in a soup pot :eek:. I think the 180 thermostat should be done depending on your location (If you live in the South) i have gotten excellent results. Just my 2¢ :) .

·
Registered
13 Posts
I put a 160 thermostat in my auto 96 V6, the guy at the shop told me it would work fine. but i've never heard of having the ecu re-programmed. Now im worried, should i have it done?

by the way i live in rhode island so we have really hot summers and really cold winters

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
jthm2004 said:
I put a 160 thermostat in my auto 96 V6, the guy at the shop told me it would work fine. but i've never heard of having the ecu re-programmed. Now im worried, should i have it done?

by the way i live in rhode island so we have really hot summers and really cold winters
FOr a 160 thermostat, you'll need a reprogrammer or chip. That's WAY outside normal operating parameters.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
jthm2004 said:
Damn! well ive been running it for about a week with no probs.....so what kind of problems am i gonna run into?
It can set your engine management into thinking it's at startup all the time, making the choke permanent -especially in cold weather, causing a rich mixture that can cause all sorts of problems.

And without changing the computer operation of your fan, in warm weather, it won't help much at all.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
jthm2004 said:
so i can assume that it would be more practical to go with a 180 then?
Unless you reprogram the fan operation, the 180 degree thermostat won't do you any good either . . .

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
jthm2004 said:
what are we talking price wise to do that?

OH sorry for stealing this thread its just a question i wanna know
349 dollars is the cheapest I've seen. Try www.froogle.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.