Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here installed a 180 degree or a 160 degree Thermostat?
I was wondering if they gave you any more power, or if they just helped the engine last longer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Its not going to add any power, just keep the motor running cooler.

·
Registered
982 Posts
V6racer04 said:
Has anyone here installed a 180 degree or a 160 degree Thermostat?
I was wondering if they gave you any more power, or if they just helped the engine last longer.

Thanks.
Yea... i just installed mine about 2 weeks ago... no there was no power increase, i went with the 180... but it does keep the engine running cooler, and we all know that a cooler engine is better:eyepoppin

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Kmagn13 said:
Yea... i just installed mine about 2 weeks ago... no there was no power increase, i went with the 180... but it does keep the engine running cooler, and we all know that a cooler engine is better:eyepoppin
no, it's not!

On pre computer controled cars, you could pick up 5 hp by switching to a lower temp thermostat. on OBD II cars, it sends the car into choke mode, and can damage your engine, causing increased friction from the piston. If you run a cooler thermostat, you need to reprogram the computer.

Also, you may not pass a sniffer, as the cats won't get warm enough to work.

·
Registered
982 Posts
kscoyote said:
no, it's not!

On pre computer controled cars, you could pick up 5 hp by switching to a lower temp thermostat. on OBD II cars, it sends the car into choke mode, and can damage your engine, causing increased friction from the piston. If you run a cooler thermostat, you need to reprogram the computer.

Also, you may not pass a sniffer, as the cats won't get warm enough to work.
I was not saying it was

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.