Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I changed my headgaskets and am filling the car with fluids so I can crank her up finally and the thermostate housing is leaking from the bottom.its a 91 mustang gt. I used the gasket and a very thin coat of black rtv just to hold it in place. I have a new gasket and am anxious to start it up but.....

My question is, do I use just the gasket or the gasket and some permatex coating for water pumps ? what do you all do? I am anxious to put it back together but am tired of taking it apart. I tried tightening the bolts but no luck. Thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
Make sure that you use a healthy amount of RTV to seal it up tight, and you shouldnt have a problem.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didnt use any rtv on the water pump and that aint leaking at all ? I have black rtv and the grey rtb for water pump and thermostate housing, but its a gasket maker ?

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
I know what you're talking about. It's like that housing was sealed up fine until you had to change things and now it's tight but won't seal.

What I had to wind up doing was taking the gasket completely out and using the thermostat housing sealer you have. It's gray and it works without the gasket. You just have to get the surface completely dry, which considering there's coolant in there now, it's an annoyance. You'll have to get as much out as possible before putting the sealer on. Put it on, wait 3-5 minutes, then put the housing on. Wait 24 hours for it to cure, then it should stop the leak.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what I did, I will post tommarow and let you know how it worked. Thanks man. :bigthumbsup I am so close to finally running the car its driving me nuts with anixety but I am just glad that once I had it filled that seemed to be the only spot leaking. Thanks man!!!!!!!

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
I've been there. That blasted housing wants to take a leak and you've tightened the bolts as far as you can.

Glad that's the only leak.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The som-bit$* leaks again from the bottom!!!! I gave it 24 hrs, and its almost got the same slow drip from the bottom of the houseing as it did before. I know its coming from there only because the car is jacked up in the front and the hoses are tight and new so its got to be ther thermostate housing. Ford almost needed to add a 3rd bolt to the bottom of the housing or something because its tight but still a slow drip from the bottom. I am going to tear it apart again this afternoon and apply that grey water pump/thermostate gasket maker and let it sit over night. They dont give you much metal on the bottom of the thermostate either to put gasket maker on. I'l let you all know if I win round 3

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hmmm

Are you supposed to tighten it all the way before it has ha time to cure? When I use a gasket forming compound I don't tighten it down until after it has dried. You shouldn't have to over torque the bolts to get the pump on tight enough to not leak.

Won't you be squeezing all the gasket compound out from between the metal when you tighten it down all the way?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Are you sure you removed all of the old gasket material from both mating surfaces?
Not doing so will cause a leak almost every time.
My $.02

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I removed all the compond for sure and made sure the surface was dry. I might try letting it sit longer before cranking it. I might have screwed up by sliding the housing around trying to get that bottom thermostate bolt in which might have screwed me up. I will try again and see what happens.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Yeah I removed all the compond for sure and made sure the surface was dry. I might try letting it sit longer before cranking it. I might have screwed up by sliding the housing around trying to get that bottom thermostate bolt in which might have screwed me up. I will try again and see what happens.
I found the lower bolt a PITA to get to without rotating the distributor a bit to get the control module out of the way.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know, They should make a new timming chain cover somehow so you can get a socket on it or I need to buy those ratchet wrenches

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Has anyone ever bought the chrome thermostate housing from the local parts store that has a rubber O-ring embeded in the housing and tried that ? Its like $12 bucks. I dont really care about the chrome, I was just curious if it would seal good ?

·
Registered
762 Posts
take this with a grain of salt, but do you have the thermostat in there right?? i just replaced mine and used just the gasket and havnt had a problem with it since.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes the spring on the thermostate faces the intake manifold. I got it, 3rd time is a charm.!!!! Thanks everyone

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.