Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
B
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is in pieces AGAIN and I figured this would be a perfect time to do something about my underhood temperatures. I had contemplated sending my headers out to be ceramic coated but Sqidd convencied me, after generously offering to assit, to wrap them since it would be more effective. So...I spent the better part of yesterday over at Sqidd's house where we wrapped my set of Kooks headers using the DEI kit.

After getting our ratio of tube length/diameter to wrap squared away things went rather quickly. One wrap measured out to +/- 260" but we broke it up in to two parts to try and reduce the amount of material we were trying to pull around. The kit came with everything to include metal bands but Sidd broke out the saftey wire and ,in his overkill mentallity, went to town wiring everything up.

After wrestling with the dogs, eating a catered lunch (thanks Vicki) and acutally doing a little work, we got it done. Once we had finished, Vicki said it looked like a mummy...Guess I had never looked at it that way:bigthumbsup

Now they just need to dry completely so I can apply the silicone and get them back on the car. Guess I will have to wait until next summer to really see what kind of a difference it makes.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
VERY NICE!...... looks like it was a lot of work. What kind of a wire wrap is that called?
I guess wrapping them while on the car was not an option either?:nogrinner
Please keep us up to date on the heat temps in the engine compartment. GREAT job Jason :bigthumbsup

B
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VERY NICE!...... looks like it was a lot of work. What kind of a wire wrap is that called?
I guess wrapping them while on the car was not an option either?:nogrinner
Please keep us up to date on the heat temps in the engine compartment. GREAT job Jason :bigthumbsup
The exhasut wrap is DEI kit that you can order from pretty much anywhere. It comes with two 50 ft. rolls, bands (you should probably order another pack if you don't have safety wire) and the silocone hi-temp spray. You can also choose between a couple of different colors. The safety wire is just your run of the mill safety wire.

Here is a picture that I took of the engine bay with an infrared red camera that really shows how hot everything got before. I had been meaning to buy an infrared laser thermometer to be able to really measure the difference but just never got around to it...a picture is worth a thousand words though???

Attachments

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
GREAT job Jason :bigthumbsup
Brain did more than his fair share, it certainly wasn’t all me! My experience with the safety wire was the only real thing I offered aside from basic labor. Safety wire is a bit of a PITA when you first start working with it. I spent a lot of time re-doing it my first year racing.:yelwacko:

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Im ignorant on this subject. Why is the header wrap better than the coatings? And what is the safety wire? Ill be doing headers soon.

B
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im ignorant on this subject. Why is the header wrap better than the coatings? And what is the safety wire? Ill be doing headers soon.

The wrap will keep a much higher percentage of the exhaust heat in the header, speeding up the exhaust gas and keeping your engine bay cooler. Stainless steel bands (much like zip ties) are advertised along with the wrap. They help hold the wrap in place will you are doing the install and can be left on after it cures for the same reason. Jason just had a ton of safety wire on hand.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
The wrap will keep a much higher percentage of the exhaust heat in the header, .
Stress on MUCH HIGHER!:bigthumbsup

You can touch a wrapped header while it's running, can't do that with a coated one!:hihi:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.