Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just got done replacing my tranny and clutch in my 83 Vert about 3 weeks ago. Everything went smooth other than the stupid pilot bushing. I have been very good as far as not beating on her for the past couple of weeks. I imagine most of you can see where this is going... So I'll make a long story short. After work last Saturday my co-worker had said that the fat burnout I did in the morning before work didn't count because he didn't see it. (insert peer pressure here) So I decided to oblige him with a repeat performance. Well needless to say I revved to about 3k while rolling, sidestepped the clutch and immediately heard a *bang, clang, tink, tink, tink, ect... from the rear. As I am stitting in my newly fixed Stang the though goes through my head, "awww [email protected]! I hope that wasn't the tranny!" So my co worker, who watched all this go down, walks over and asks what happened. I'm like, dunno man. So I get out of the car and look underneath to see if anything came loose. nothing hanging down, nothing leaking, no puddles. Good sign so far. So I ask him to look at the rear as I put it in reverse and he starts yellin "STOP STOP!" I 'm like what, why? He says "Dude your rear end is twisting." So my question is... What do you think I did? Shear a couple of teeth off the pinion or ring gears or do you think it is more than that? I haven't had a chance to pop the cover off the diff to find out. Also being that my Stang is an 83 with the original rearend do you think it is a 7.5"? I know it is a locking rear, I've left my fair share of equal length black marks on fresh asphalt. :smilie I have located another rearend at my local junk yard but I can't tell if it is an 8.8 or a 7.5. I have tried looking at the axle tag but I cannot read it. It does have extra shocks on it that mine doesn't. They look like kicker shocks for axle wrap. Could this be an 8.8?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I'm pretty sure your 83 came with a 7.5. They are weak and you upgrade to a 8.8. The other shocks your talking about are known as quad shocks. I think all fox body 8.8s have them. Spend some cash and get the 8.8 and throw some gears in it and redeem yourself and lay the biggest patch of rubber you can. :laughlitt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.