Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been a little eary of adding nitrous after hearing horror stories of people blowing out their engines and what not. i was hoping that maybe one of you motor heads could give me the in's and out's of nitrous. I was told to go with nitrous express but i don't have a clue.

My car is as follows:
02 automatic GT
Street evil trans rated at 450hp
75 mm Throttle body and Plenum (Dragon Performance)
K&N fipk CAI
SLP Loudmouth II exhaust (cat-back)
Hoping to finish off the exhaust this summer with a set of BBK longtube Headers and x-pipe. (if i'm lucky)

I need to know everything there is to know about this, good and bad....especially the bad!!!

Thanks in advance,
Nick

·
Registered
701 Posts
Smoker

Most people blow up their motors when they:
1. Don't upgrade the fuel system
2. Don't do a proper tuning on a dyno.
3. Or just want to have a way to big of a shot for a stock motor.

The most critical condition with a "wet style" nitrous shot is if the motor runns to lean. This means that the flame travel (speed) is to fast and the combustion temperature is to high. Especially with nitrous I would stick with a prooven kit.

If you get a wet style nitrous, and you upgrade the fuel system ad you do a propper tuning, you should be fine, as long as you stay in a reasonable power range.
www.summitracing.com
Search for: NOS-08100NOS

·
Registered
393 Posts
Nitrous

:eyepoppin
Don't fear the bottle, only the idiots that use it improperly. Amen on not upgrading the fuel system especially. Lean=Blown to bits. If done properly, NOS is no more dangerous than any other power adder. However, ALL power added shortens the life of all associated components.

·
Registered
604 Posts
smoker said:
I have always been a little eary of adding nitrous after hearing horror stories of people blowing out their engines and what not. i was hoping that maybe one of you motor heads could give me the in's and out's of nitrous. I was told to go with nitrous express but i don't have a clue.

My car is as follows:
02 automatic GT
Street evil trans rated at 450hp
75 mm Throttle body and Plenum (Dragon Performance)
K&N fipk CAI
SLP Loudmouth II exhaust (cat-back)
Hoping to finish off the exhaust this summer with a set of BBK longtube Headers and x-pipe. (if i'm lucky)

I need to know everything there is to know about this, good and bad....especially the bad!!!

Thanks in advance,
Nick
It's a better alternative than turbo's or super chargers because your pistons will not be stressed as much. If you install everything properly and safely you should have no problems. Just don't get a dry kit. Go wet or direct port....

·
Registered
162 Posts
the98stang said:
It's a better alternative than turbo's or super chargers because your pistons will not be stressed as much. If you install everything properly and safely you should have no problems. Just don't get a dry kit. Go wet or direct port....
Not true. The turbo or supercharger puts gradually increasing pressure on the motor until it tops out. The nitrous is just one big hit which is harder on the motor than the gradual increase. But yes, nitrous is only as safe as the person that installs it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Nitrous

:kooky: Giggle gas
Nitrous does have one good point, because you empty the bottle quickly you wont be on it as much as you would be with a turbo or supercharger. I personally perfer a wet kit for the engine safety factor. You are not relying on the injectors for the added HP. Just one injector that cannot carry the extra load and you have a melted piston. The wet kit can have the dreaded nitrous backfire though. Intakes are cheaper and easier to replace. :happyhapp

·
Banned
918 Posts
If you plan on running a 100 shot, you will be fine with the stock tune and the NX kit w/ gen II upgrade and a window switch. The only other item you will need is NGK TR6 plugs gapped @.035"

There are several that have 50, 75, and 100k on nitrous with no issues and on a stock tune. Once you go above a 100 shot you may want to think about upgrading the fuel system and tuning the engine to accomodate this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.