Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 gt with the factory aluminum 5 spoke 17s and I was wondering what you guys suggest for painting. I want to have them blacked out but wasn't sure if I should use paint or powder coat.

What would be best to hold up against chipping and scratches?

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
powder coating is more durable, yet more expensive, so your wallet may make the final decision

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Powder coat has a tendency to fade. I went with a multi coat of good flat black paint. Thay are holding up nice and look as good as the day I did them.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
My rims were new when paint'd them, just used a scotch pad to scuff the up. I have a used set that I used a light sand blast.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll see what my friend charges for powder coat but I may just spray can it. I need something to do this winter.

I'm also thinking about painting my interior trim. Any special prep needed for plastic molding?

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
For plastic just use a scotch-brite pad (not the ones you use in the kitchen, there are auto body specific pads for this, available at parts stores and paint supply stores) to rough it up a little, and then use a degreaser spray before paint. If using rattlecan, get one that is specially formulated for use on plastic so it will have the best possible bond. It may not be 100% necessary, but I would also give the parts a coat of primer, and then lightly sand with the scotch pad before painting. If you use a primer designed to be applied to plastics then you can probably forego the use of plastic-specific paint since the primer will now be performing the job of creating a bonding surface for the paint. Following paint, I would give it a very light scrub with the scotch pad once again and then apply a couple coats of clearcoat.

With all of the different materials you'll be using, be sure to give them ample time (about 6-24 hrs depending on ambient temperature; figure 6-8 hrs if done at an average room temperature of 60-70°F, increase time commensurate with drop in temperature) for each coat to cure before proceeding with the next. Use the degreasing spray in between every coat. If the parts were metal and not plastic you could place them in the oven on low heat to speed up the curing process, but since they're plastic then this isn't really an option. As long as you're detail oriented and take your time they should come out pretty nice.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
I had mine powder coated gloss black for $50/ wheel. Thats the first I've heard of a fading issue. I thought powder coat was a lot more durable than paint.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I should have rephrased it. I have seen “flat” powder coat fade, not sure about the gloss. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do I need to worry about the rims chipping if........haha just kidding if your not changing tires on your mustang your not driving it right ;)

So when I have new tires mounted will chipping be and issue with paint or powder coat?

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Chipping around the bead is always a problem with paint, less so with powder but its not immune. I solved that problem by keeping the factory aluminum finish on the outer edge. :smartass:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those look pretty slick! I figured this might be a good budget build for appearance because I want to focus more on performance for now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts