Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks I am new to the board. I have always owned a classic mustang up until about 2000 thats when I started enjoying vettes.

I am serously thinking of selling a 2002 corvette convertable to purchase a new Mustang.I want to replace the vette only because i love the looks of the new mustangs,and I am a family of 4 me my wife my 11 year old son and a 9 year old daughter. This would just be a good weather car for us

I am just looking for an honest description of what you guys/gals think of your cars so far.

I plan on going to a dealership shortly to speak with a sales person (man do I hate dealing with sales people)

Besides the shelby are there any cobras coming out,special addtions,a mach 1 maybee.I would definatley want a convertable with an automatic so the wife could drive it

If you want to know alittle about me and my cars stop by my web site
www.yellowcorvettes.com

Thank you and I look foward to your comments,

NO I am not a troll

G

·
i think that the new mustang is an absolute dream come true...i've had a bmw m3...a chrysler...a caddy...and stilll have a 2000 mustang with my new 2006gt..the car is by far the best thing i've ever driven...the sound ..the speed...that look...and heres the kicker...that price...bro where else can you possibly get a car that brings a smile to your face everytime for 30000...only draw back is the weight gain cause i'm driving this car to the corner store..lol..unless your car is that new vette that just emerged...sell any previous year for this value driven race car

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I hope you don't plan on doing any traveling with the 2 kids. My 3 and 4 year olds complain about not having enough leg room in my vert. I also have 2 teenagers and I haven't even tried going anywhere with them in the backseat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nghtrnnr said:
unless your car is that new vette that just emerged...sell any previous year for this value driven race car
Nope not the new Z06,Mine is a convertable with an automatic.I had purchased it for the wife as a mothersday present and a birthday present but its just not getting so much use as I exspected mainley because its a 2 seater.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HIDZ-GT said:
I hope you don't plan on doing any traveling with the 2 kids. My 3 and 4 year olds complain about not having enough leg room in my vert. I also have 2 teenagers and I haven't even tried going anywhere with them in the backseat.
Well it has to be better then the vette for sqeezing them in. I am going to take a ride to a dealer now.to see how i fit in it.

My first car was a 1969 mustang.The car I took my road test in was a 69 grande that I stuffed a big block in.So I am sure you all know the connection you have with a car and this new one is the only car that has wowed me since they changed the body style in 1970.

Thanks again folks.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Of the 4,5 Mustang forums I frequent, I have not seen one person regretted the car what so ever. And if someone sold it, it wasnt by choice. That should say alot.

Alot of people also seem to have purchased the car before ever driving one. Me being one!

G

·
heh heh yeh me too stoenr...i built mine online and then went to the dealer with the print out...no discussion...no haggle...heres the one i built and want..heres the bank approval...make it so...no hassle that way

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I went to the dealers and sat in a convertable and fits me real nice. but with me in my comfort position in the driver seat.It does not look as though anybodys legs could fit in between the drivers seat and the rear seat.
they did not have any coupes I could sit in does anybody know if a coupe has more leg room.

Also in speaking to a sales man they were not sure if you could get the pony interiour with a GT

So far I know I want

Yellow,V8 with an automatic.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
ih2lose said:
Well I went to the dealers and sat in a convertable and fits me real nice. but with me in my comfort position in the driver seat.It does not look as though anybodys legs could fit in between the drivers seat and the rear seat.
they did not have any coupes I could sit in does anybody know if a coupe has more leg room.

Also in speaking to a sales man they were not sure if you could get the pony interiour with a GT

So far I know I want

Yellow,V8 with an automatic.
Leg room is the same, I have a GT coupe and when I am comfortable, the seat is just a few inches away from the back. If you get the cloth seats, they have ponies all over them :eyebulge:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Last weekend the Rt. 66 Mother Road Festival was in town (Springfield IL). It is all about Rt. 66 and classic cars. I entered my vert, just too see what people would say, you know a new car at a classic car show. There was about 1000 cars entered and about 70000 people were there. I sat behind the car and people watched when I wasnt looking at the cars. I didnt count them, but hundreds of people stopped to look at the car. I watched lots of people walk down the street past all the Vetts and Challengers and other great classic cars and stop at the Mustang. Many people stopped and talked about how great this car is. It is an "new " classic car. I would recommend getting one. Not only is it a head turner, it is a thrill to drive.

Here are some photos.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/chuckbrr/IMG_1949.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/chuckbrr/IMG_1948.jpg

·
Registered
403 Posts
nghtrnnr said:
heh heh yeh me too stoenr...i built mine online and then went to the dealer with the print out...no discussion...no haggle...heres the one i built and want..heres the bank approval...make it so...no hassle that way
I havent driven one either- but- OOH- its after midnight!!!

TODAY they are supposed to build my car!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyways, about 'built it online'- where/how...naive here I guess but didnt know you could do this. I went to mustangsource.com and found sheets with all the option codes, took my list with me to dealer...did you actually get a configuration from ford online?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've driven my Dad's 2000 convertible Vette (yellow) and while it holds it's own, I think that I like my Mustang better.
The Vette is slick, refined, state of the art, well... you know. A Mustang will have none of this. Brash looking, squared off, aluminium bar for dash trim, thick cushioned seats, big devil may care wheel wells. The body styling is like a mullett, business up front and party in the back.
The one thing the two cars have in common, they both drive like they look. While the Vette is America's exotic car, the Mustang is America's muscle car.

My youngest kids (15yr old boy and 10yr old girl) fit just fine in the back, just scoot the seat up a bit, and will line up for a chance to ride in the car. The oldest kid, a girl.. ahem.. young lady of 20yrs.. will ask "can we take the pretty car?" The Mrs. dosen't mind riding it it either, a drastic change from all of my previous automobiles. Well, except for a Lexus I had for a while. :handball:

If you want a "special" model you will have to wait till '07 or later. The Shelby models will be VERY limited. I have been told that Tulsa will get about 20 of them. There are supposed to be special editions in the works, Mach 1's and Bullitts and such but none of those have been convertibles in the past.

I believe that if you are even considering trading the Vette for a Mustang then you are too far gone. I'm glad my Dad has his car, but not as glad that I have mine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
brnrkm said:
I've driven my Dad's 2000 convertible Vette (yellow) and while it holds it's own, I think that I like my Mustang better.
The Vette is slick, refined, state of the art, well... you know. A Mustang will have none of this. Brash looking, squared off, aluminium bar for dash trim, thick cushioned seats, big devil may care wheel wells. The body styling is like a mullett, business up front and party in the back.
The one thing the two cars have in common, they both drive like they look. While the Vette is America's exotic car, the Mustang is America's muscle car.

My youngest kids (15yr old boy and 10yr old girl) fit just fine in the back, just scoot the seat up a bit, and will line up for a chance to ride in the car. The oldest kid, a girl.. ahem.. young lady of 20yrs.. will ask "can we take the pretty car?" The Mrs. dosen't mind riding it it either, a drastic change from all of my previous automobiles. Well, except for a Lexus I had for a while. :handball:

If you want a "special" model you will have to wait till '07 or later. The Shelby models will be VERY limited. I have been told that Tulsa will get about 20 of them. There are supposed to be special editions in the works, Mach 1's and Bullitts and such but none of those have been convertibles in the past.

I believe that if you are even considering trading the Vette for a Mustang then you are too far gone. I'm glad my Dad has his car, but not as glad that I have mine.
Its pretty funney to here you say you have children,as a matter of fact a 20 year old ,then to here you say your dad has a vette.

so I guess we are about the same age. middle 40'S.

Tonight I try and upload some photos to my web site of my mustangs from when I was a kid. My Dad just called me last night to explain he was looking a a 2001 yellow convertable (the apple dosent fall far from the tree huh as thats what I want)at a local dealership who has brand new saleens for sale. I will go there today to take a peek at them.If its for sure they will have a Mach 1 with a shaker scoop in the next year or 2 I would wait to purchase a car untill then. Ill take my camera and take a picture of the saleens today

Wish me luck

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
HIDZ-GT said:
Have you sat back there? I put 2 friends that are around 5'9" back and they said it was fine. I've sat back there and didn't think it was too bad. I think your kids complain too much.

·
Registered
260 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
...I've sat back there and didn't think it was too bad. I think your kids complain too much.
LOL.....what kid doesn't???

Hey it's kinda funny and I meant to mention this.....I'm 6'1" with a 32-inch inseam and so while I'm not like the tallest dude around, it means that every car I've ever driven has had to have the seat moved ALL the way back for me to be comfortable.

Except this car!! I was flabbergasted when I first drove it off the lot and my foot was like, groping around for the clutch wayyyyy up there. I had to friggin' move the seat up, that's never happened to me before! It's really unusual. Plenty of headroom too, which is also amazing to me. Usually you get legroom OR headroom, but never both, except if it's a Caddy or a '42 Hudson Stepliner or something along that line....

Anyway, moving the seat up to accomodate someone in the back is also no problemo for me. It's something you gotta do in most other cars anyway. With the legroom in this car, moving the seat up a bit occasionaly hasn't been too much of a big deal. I mention it in case you're about the same size as me, h2lose.

I also sat in the back during a test drive and it was fine with me. Of course the front seat was moved up a bit. And of course if I'd have been sitting on broken glass it wouldn't have changed my mind about the car either.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have you sat back there? I put 2 friends that are around 5'9" back and they said it was fine. I've sat back there and didn't think it was too bad. I think your kids complain too much.

No I haven't sat back there, it's my car, don't have to. Sorry that you treat your 5'9 friends that way. :yakyak:

·
Registered
184 Posts
HIDZ-GT said:

No I haven't sat back there, it's my car, don't have to. Sorry that you treat your 5'9 friends that way. :yakyak:
I think the back seat is only included to make the insurance rates cheaper - it gets classified as a "subcompact" instead of a "roadster" that way. I sit back there a lot, because hubby doesn't drink he's always DD and our friend that goes with us a lot of places is taller than me and a little less mobile. Its cramped, no doubt. I would not call it "comfortable" by any stretch of the imagination. Its tolerable if you've been drinking, LOL. I'm 5'8" and 125lbs and pretty limber for a 40-something. (You have to be to get in/out with the top up.)

That being said, I didn't buy it for the backseat, I bought it for the fun factor. The fact that it hauls 4 in a pinch is a nice bonus. My sister never drives her BMW roadster because she has 2 kids and can't possibly pick them both up from school in it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have several regrets on buying this car. First thing I regret is not having bought it sooner. Second is not having all mods done as a condition of sale (It is much tougher getting extra money for mods on a new car:sosad: .

The back seats appear a little cramped, but as it is my car I will never know for sure:winks . I refuse to even ride shotgun. My 10 yo loves to ride in it, but prefers the front if Mom is not around. As far as comfort and complaining goes, you don't like it, theres the door:sterb: . Ride that curb for a few hundred miles and tell me about comfort:laughlitt

1 - 20 of 27 Posts