Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I live in sunny Florida and have been thinking of buying a convertible. I'd appreciate any advise on what to look for and what to avoid. I'm looking at Mustangs 2007-10 and they seem readily available in the $15-$19k range. I really want a GT but my funds probably won't allow.
I know you regular posters may get this question all the time and would be very grateful for any info you could spare....there are always pitfalls to purchasing used vehicles. Thankfully Mustangs have a huge following so I'm guessing some of you have some great advice, and/or experience to share.
Nick

p.s. The one specific question I can think of now is this...an audio aux port is important to me, as I love my ipod tunes. What year(s) have this available? I think it's a relatively new item in most vehicles.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Hi all. I live in sunny Florida and have been thinking of buying a convertible. I'd appreciate any advise on what to look for and what to avoid. I'm looking at Mustangs 2007-10 and they seem readily available in the $15-$19k range. I really want a GT but my funds probably won't allow.
I know you regular posters may get this question all the time and would be very grateful for any info you could spare....there are always pitfalls to purchasing used vehicles. Thankfully Mustangs have a huge following so I'm guessing some of you have some great advice, and/or experience to share.
Nick

p.s. The one specific question I can think of now is this...an audio aux port is important to me, as I love my ipod tunes. What year(s) have this available? I think it's a relatively new item in most vehicles.
Hi Nick, first off you dont think of buying a Mustang, you just buy it! You should find a decent one for the moneys you mentioned, just today I saw a 2006 Covertable with only 3K on it stored Winters, Never Hardly Driven and not even Rained on for 18K or B.O. kinda reminds me oy My 07 but not a Vert.
Anyway when you find what your looking for ask all the questions possible if it's from a Private Owner and Always get a Car Fax and if Possible get a Mechanic to look it over. Use your own Personal Judgement and if it feels right and the moneys right Buy It.
But no matter if New or Used anything can go wrong at any time. There's a Great Bunch of People on here that will be more than Happy to answer all your questions about Mustangs. Now I also saw a 2006 GT 5speed with 11K on it for Sale for $18K, and if I had the Option to get a Vert V6 ot the GT for the same Money I'd get the GT:bigthumbsup Think this one over there's some nice GT's out there for the same money:winks
I live in N.Y. and a-lot of People here Buy Stangs for the Summer then when our Lake Effect Winters come and they have no Place to store em and the reality sets in the sell and then there's some good deals here to be had, but in the Land of SUN you'll probably pay a-lot more.
Good Luck to you!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Nick, first welcome to the forum! If I were looking for a used vert, I would check the top out. Look for any signs of wear where the frame is tight to the fabric and at fold points. You are on target for the aux port. It was made available in the 07's and up. Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tradernick,
I would definiitely consider the 2011 mustang, the v6 convertible is beautiful and it has 300+ HP !!:bigthumbsup. Buying New you dont have to worry about anything. You can also get cheaper financing and better rebates. If you can't spring for the 2011 I'd look into the 2010 v6, they're practically giving them away, becaue they are obsolete....:nono:

As for I-pod, I know my 2011 has it, it is awesome. IT charges my ipod with the usb port! (also has aux port, but doesn't charge). I would imagine the 2010 has something similar but not sure.

Good luck! whatever you get you will love it, I know I do. Just got my first stang on 5/13:kooky:

·
Registered
337 Posts
well if you're looking for more around 15k i would look at maybe the 06's. i believe they are still able to get the aux port but i know the 05's cant. goodluck in your search and try not to catch the mod bug...it gets expensive :kooky:

·
Registered
753 Posts
well if you're looking for more around 15k i would look at maybe the 06's. i believe they are still able to get the aux port but i know the 05's cant. goodluck in your search and try not to catch the mod bug...it gets expensive :kooky:
The 06s have an AUX button but no Line In for audio players or USB port for Flash Drives, although I've heard of some getting some equipment from a site like Crutchfield and getting it to work. Although the audio quality isn't the same. I would say stick with 2007+ models as those are the ones for sure that has this feature. If you are looking at 2005 - 2006 model, expect to replace the stock radio with something that's iPod compatible.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mp3

Just some info, regarding prices, I purchased a 2005 convertible, with 40,000 miles in Nebraska,60 days ago, for 11,500. There are lots out there at that price, and Florida is the ideal place to buy one.

While convertibles are becoming more common throughout the U.S. and Canada, in Florida they are everywhere.

Ipod control, well I am over 40, and it's not such a big deal for me, but keep in my the Shaker 500 and 1000 sytems, which are in most mustangs, play MP3's. Since they are 6 cd systems, and you can fit at least 100 songs, on each cd. You would have a 600 song library, without trying to figure out where to store the ipod.

Just so you know what I got for the 11,500. Screaming yellow convertible (only colour I wanted) 5 speed, 500 shaker, silly but kind of neat "my colour gauges" leather wheel, door panels,shifter, factory chrome dash kit, black vinyl top, ( I have had cloth, I like the vinyl) 16inch chrome wheels.

Since I have bought it, I have made all kinds of cosmetic changes, for very very little money, and I am really enjoying the car.

Good Luck with the search for yours.

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Get the GT, trust me!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the warm welcome and all the great advice. I like this forum already! Today I test drove an '09 and a '10. The 2010 was nice but uncomfortable almost immediately...something about the seat and headrest. The 09 was almost perfect for me...35k miles, no real wear or issues except the beige top being dirty. I offered what I thought was a very fair 17k bottom line but the dealer declined, saying they would be losing money (yeah right). I'll keep looking, the more I shop the sharper I'll become about the cars, right? Thanks again, I'll keep you posted and will post a pic when I buy something.
Nick

·
Registered
45 Posts
Was it a mustang gt ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope, not a GT. I don't think I want to spend the extra money for a GT, when I can get a newer car with low mileage (and a digital audio input) for less.
But I'd welcome any discussion you all can share on the differences and the value of a GT compared to the v6.
Nick

·
Registered
225 Posts
MustangGT/CSOwner

I'm thinking about a convertible too (maybe a 2011 V6), and I am staying away from dark colors. Dark colors absorb heat, and would make the car unbearably hot when it's 85+ degrees and sunny. Something to consider since you live in Florida. Lighter colors reflect heat and would make top down cruising more enjoyable when it gets really hot. :yelwacko:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Gt versus V6

The GT

Faster, handles better, prestige,and better looking
but good chance it was pounded by previous owner

The V6
better on gas, more likely not to have been pounded, better price.
Also upgrading suspension, with new take off GT parts, and rims, is exceptionally cheap.

The Gt has lost much of it's prestige, because the new V6 model is so powerfull.

Have fun shopping, I did

Jeff

·
Registered
234 Posts
The GT

Faster, handles better, prestige,and better looking
but good chance it was pounded by previous owner

The V6
better on gas, more likely not to have been pounded, better price.
Also upgrading suspension, with new take off GT parts, and rims, is exceptionally cheap.

The Gt has lost much of it's prestige, because the new V6 model is so powerfull.

Have fun shopping, I did

Jeff
Get the GT, or at least do yourself a favor and test drive one before you make a decision. The V6 isn't THAT much better on gas.

I don't know if the GT has lost any "prestige," per se, but the prices on all Mustangs should be coming down now that the 2011s are arriving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.