Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying an SCT eliminator chip from americanmuscle to correct the speedometer after my 3.73 gears. I want to know how much horsepower I should expect to gain. I have a CAI, borla catback and catted x pipe and steeda underdrive pullies. The chip comes with custom tunes. Has anybody had any experience/success with this chip or any similar?

G

·
Welcome Jon, give us an introduction about yourself in the Intro section and post some pics of your Mustang.
A lot of guys/gals are on this forum with great info on here, but I'm sure they'll all appreciate somewhat of a background about you and your ride in order to answer any questions you may have.

I know a lot of people here have used the SCT chip, but I personally have not...yet. Good Luck.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
The power gains are modest, but you will notice a difference in response. Make sure when you buy from AM that they know about the modifications.

Its more common for folks to buy the handheld tuner in my experience, and the chips tend to undergo frequent updates and changes, so I would check for the latest info from the seller.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it really worth it though if i'm not planning on putting a power adder on to shell out the extra money for the handheld and the money for the dyno tunes? oh and i posted up an intro on my car but still dont have the pics up yet...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The tunes are the same with the handheld and for most mods there is not need to go to a dyno. With a handheld you get way more adjustability on your end. Dont go with a chip pay the extra $100 or so and get the SCT X3 :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
139 Posts
:bigthumbsupwelcome to the site i agree with the other guys go ahead and get the tuner so you will have the option for custom tuning later on because we all know once we get the mod obsession its hard to stop and again welcome aboard there are a bunch of very helpful people on this site and we are all happy to help whenever we can:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
139 Posts
sorry for the double post i didnt think the first one went through

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
By an used unlocked hand held (Predator, SCT) on Ebay, you can find em in the $150-$200 range which is 50% off retail! You have much more features with one like datalogging and the ability to import custom tunes!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought once it was unlocked i wouldn't be able to use it on my car because it reads your VIN number and you can only use it on that car?

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
I thought once it was unlocked i wouldn't be able to use it on my car because it reads your VIN number and you can only use it on that car?
No, Brutal has it right. A tuner that is unlocked can be mated to any car, whereas one that is locked cannot.

The advantage with the Tuner over a chip is also that it is a useful tool. Updating for gear changes, wheel/tire size, and clearing/reading trouble codes are VERY valuable assets, and there are lots more...

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Yup that's right Triple B, you can adjust fan settings, gear ratios. etc.. You can even modify parameters on Custom Tunes like Spark Advance and fuel richment if your Tuner didn't lock out that feature, some don't want you messing with their Setups, haha!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.