Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there really that big of a difference in a 87 race tune vs a 91 or 93?
It would seem simple to have them all 87 so I dont have to spend the extra on gas and switching tunes would be easy and i wouldnt have to wait until a tank ran out.
So my question is which should i set the Street, performance, and race tune to? All 87s or should I set higher for the performance and race tune?
Any input and personal experience is greatly appreciated!

I have a MRT aeroturbine exhaust and a JLT CAI waiting to be installed once i get the tuner :winks

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
i cant speak for the manual shift guys, but for the auto, i find the performance tunes useless. i would get 1-87( just for in case you need or want to run 87, they dont make a 87 race tune) then i would get a 91 race and a 93 race.( depending on too if you have both the premium grades). if you dont have 93, get a 91 perf and a 91 race. :)

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
You'll notice 87 Vs. 91/93. For 3-4 bucks a tank of gas, the good stuff is worth it IMO.

Where are you going to order a tuner from?

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
Mines an Auto as well. Should I just do an 87, 91, 93 or keep it more simple and do an 87, 91, 91 or 87, 93, 93?

Only from AM of course!
i would go 87,91r,93r.....then if your traveling or somewhere where you cant get 93 your covered. but if you have 93, thats the only one you will want to run.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i would go 87,91r,93r.....then if your traveling or somewhere where you cant get 93 your covered. but if you have 93, thats the only one you will want to run.
Alright, I think I'll do that. I have 93 here actually. I probably load the 87 to test it out with the rest of the tank when I get it and then put a couple bucks in after and try the others. Hopefully I wont become too addicted to the 93 race tune :smilie
Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
Alright, I think I'll do that. I have 93 here actually. I probably load the 87 to test it out with the rest of the tank when I get it and then put a couple bucks in after and try the others. Hopefully I wont become too addicted to the 93 race tune :smilie
Thanks for the input!
i`ll tell you right off, you will be addicted to the 93. its gonna sound better and run better. you can finish off the 87 with the 87 tune, then get it real low and put 93 in it. run the 91 tune for that tank of 93 then the next time you fill it with 93 put the 93 tune in. do this and you`ll be rockin :bigthumbsup

you can run a lower tune with higher octane, but you dont want to run a higher tune with lower octane, thats a no no. :nono:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I did 87 street,89 performance and 93 race..those are the octanes that are available in my area. I also did this in case the 93 wasn't available while traveling. Here in NY state we have a emissions test at inspection also. AM advised me that the street and performance tunes will pass but the race will not. Just something to keep in mind...

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have the 87 street, 89 performance, and 93 race tunes on mine. I started with the 87 because that's what I still had in the tank when I got the tuner, first thing you will notice is throttle lag disappears and feels faster than stock. Next went to the 89 performance tune, pulled much harder, and was definitely a different car from stock, then came the 93 race tune and this is about as close as you will get to the feel of a gt in a 4.0 without getting blown! :winks

·
Registered
30 Posts
this is about as close as you will get to the feel of a gt in a 4.0 without getting blown! :winks
well said....its either 93 race ( if you can ) or go home
It makes driving a whole lot more fun and you will quickly forget about the extra costs for the higher octane :gringreen

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Now Im probably gonna take some Crap on this one.......If I was gonna get Tunes they's ALL be 93, Yes there is a Difference in a 91 Tune vs a 93 Tune, especially a 93 Race Tune. Like others said it's only mabey $4 more a Tankful to fill up with 93 vs 87 and you'll actually get Better Gas Mileage with the 93 then the 87 as long as you dont keep your foot into it all the time:gringreen
Now this is where Im gonna get some feedback,,,,,,,,,Why have 2 or 3 different Octane Tunes when you need to run a full tank of 93 through your Stang befor you load the 93 Race Tune, it get's costly going from 87 to 91 to a 93 Tune. Get ALL 93 Octane Tunes and be done with it. I run only 1 Tune, a 93.....I have no use for the other Tunes, once you run a 93 Octane Tune you wont go back to a 87 or a 91. Even a 93 Economy Tune would still be better than a 87, for the $4 less a Tankful to fill up with 87 insted of 93 I'd stay with all 93 Tunes.
Im not sure how AM does there Tunes, mabey you HAVE to get a 87, 91 and 93, if so then that's what you have to get. But when I got mine from Chris Rose when he was still at Tillmans I got All 93 Tunes, I fill up with 93 and if I need to change a Tune I can and I dont worry about spending $4 More a Tankful to fill up:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
ron, thats why i said go from the 87 fuel he has now till it gets low and then to 93. he can run the 91 tune with 93 fuel to finish off the mixed fuel, then just load the 93 tune :D by that next tank hes running good fuel :yelpleased: i got stuck a couple weeks ago and had to buy some 91, it happens. so what i did was run that 91 down, filled it with 94, and loaded the 93 tune back in with no issues.

the problem down here is there are only 3 stations that re about 20+miles from here, 2 have 93, 1 has 94. its hard to plan it out so i can get to the high octane

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
ron, thats why i said go from the 87 fuel he has now till it gets low and then to 93. he can run the 91 tune with 93 fuel to finish off the mixed fuel, then just load the 93 tune :D by that next tank hes running good fuel :yelpleased: i got stuck a couple weeks ago and had to buy some 91, it happens. so what i did was run that 91 down, filled it with 94, and loaded the 93 tune back in with no issues.

the problem down here is there are only 3 stations that re about 20+miles from here, 2 have 93, 1 has 94. its hard to plan it out so i can get to the high octane
WELL said Mike, sounds like a Good Plan:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well no matter what, thanks to bama for free tunes for life if I decide to switch it up :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
You can email them and have one written for each octane if you want! Personally, I have all my tunes for 93.

And as for the race tune being the closest thing to a blower:laugh: That's like saying Lebron is the closest thing to Jordan:laugh::laugh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts