Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put cams in your 08 Mustang? Brenspeed only charges 4 hours to do the install, however im in texas and im not gonna drive to them to get it done. Im pretty handy with a wrench and was wondering what it would take to do it myself. Any special tools needed? Im thinking of getting the stage 2 cams... the ones that dont require spring replacement.. also gonna put in the delete plates.. Any helpful hints would be appriciated. Thanks

G

·
Has anyone put cams in your 08 Mustang? Brenspeed only charges 4 hours to do the install, however im in texas and im not gonna drive to them to get it done. Im pretty handy with a wrench and was wondering what it would take to do it myself. Any special tools needed? Im thinking of getting the stage 2 cams... the ones that dont require spring replacement.. also gonna put in the delete plates.. Any helpful hints would be appriciated. Thanks

If you just do the cams without changing springs etc it should be very easy. I did springs and all on my car and it took me 2-3 days taking my time and doing a lil here and there. the hardest part of the cam swap to me was just getting the valve covers out of the way, the rest was very very simple, If i were to have just done the cams it woulda taken me maybe 2 hours! and you shouldnt need any special tools, but you may want to invest or make a timing chain wedge to help to not let the timing chains jump any, I made mine out of a peice of plastic

·
Registered
710 Posts
I would LOVE to see a how to in this forum. I've done cam swaps on pushrod engines...but never on the new OHC 4.6 .
DSPE, was the cam swap easier than a pushrod?

G

·
I would LOVE to see a how to in this forum. I've done cam swaps on pushrod engines...but never on the new OHC 4.6 .
DSPE, was the cam swap easier than a pushrod?

yea LOTS!! here is a quick list of the install procedure.... gets as much of the wireing harness as loose as possible, and get as much of it as you can pulled out of the way so yo ucan remove the vavle covers, remove the valve covers,

1.make a small mark on each timing chain and sprocket so you keep keep an eye on it so it wont jump time( more than likely its not going to)
2. make a small wedge to put down in the tming chain to wedge it in place, u can use a friend to hold up on the cam phaser and keep tension on it.
3.break loose the cam phaser bolt
4. remove all the cam caps and bolts
3. with the caps off now wedge the chain or get a friend to hold up on the phaser and remove the phaser bolt
4. remove cam
5. put on new cam and caps dont tighten
6. put the cam phaser bolt back in and snug up on the cam( the phaser will only go on one way it has a dial pin to line it up on the cam)
7. check your timing marks make sure they still line up
8. tighten up the caps on the cams and torque to spec
9. torque the cam phaser bolt
10. repeat on other side
11. CHECK THE TIMEING MARKS AGAIN !!!!!!!!! MAKE SURE ITS STILL IN TIME AND HASNT JUMPD
12. reinstall valve covers
13. plug up your wires
thats pretty much it, springs and retainers is a different story, it takes forever. you air up each cylinder and change the springs one at a time!

I think its easy i know i could have some changed in 2 hours pretty easy with an extra set of hands to hold the cam phaser when i need them too!

When i get a little more time i have pleny of pics, im going to use to get a good write up on it with lots of detail.. Ive just been very busy and havent gotten around to it.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Cam's really are not worth the trouble and the cost for the HP. Finish your suspension first. Once you get done with the Cam's and the tuning you will be looking at a pretty penny.

It may cost you more money but if you do really want cams do your headers/exhaust with it so you kill two birds with one stone when you do your tuning and while you have your heads off get them P&P.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Actually cams are the biggest N/A power maker out there. But agree they aren't cheap.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
well let me refrase what I said. If this is one of the first mods you have done other then a CAI I dont think it fall in the right order. Plenty of other easier so to say mods that will be just as effective for less labor troubles. IE the LCA, UCA and Drive Shaft Combo seems to cut some serious 1/4 time down.

If you do it I would save longer and just all the mods that will require major tuning at the same time.

·
Registered
710 Posts
well let me refrase what I said. If this is one of the first mods you have done other then a CAI I dont think it fall in the right order. Plenty of other easier so to say mods that will be just as effective for less labor troubles. IE the LCA, UCA and Drive Shaft Combo seems to cut some serious 1/4 time down.

If you do it I would save longer and just all the mods that will require major tuning at the same time.
Yes I agree it makes sense to try and install all the parts at the same time.

20hp to the ground for around 1k isn't too bad. Sure people can make more power by spending money on other power adders. People throw this money down for Long Tube Headers and H-pipe for about the same price as cams and installation.

A lot of people seem to bash people for wanting to install cams in their car saying money should be spent on other things. I'm glad to see the diversity in the forums.

Me personally...I plan on installing cams followed with a nice Nitrous Exrpress kit.

For less than 2k I should be able to hang with "most" FI cars.

:)

·
Registered
150 Posts
yea LOTS!! here is a quick list of the install procedure.... gets as much of the wireing harness as loose as possible, and get as much of it as you can pulled out of the way so yo ucan remove the vavle covers, remove the valve covers,
and havent gotten around to it.

Thanks for the how-to, DSPE! I am wondering now if I could do this myself. I plan to install Comp Stage3 cams, but had factored the new springs and retainers into the budget. Since I don't drag race and never take it beyond 5000 rpm, would my suspicion be true--that I can get by just fine with the stock springs/retainers? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
You must upgrade the springs and retainers with the stage 3. The stock springs won't support the valves. You'll need a special spring compressor from Ford to swap the springs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to clear things up... Ive already Put the JTL Cold air and the SCT Tuner from Brenspeed, Steeda Underdrive pulleys, Bassani X pipe, BBK throttle Body, so there is basically nothing "Simple" to do for decent horsepower. And for the ones who say cams are not worth it.... Well ill take my advice on that from someone who really knows. The post wasnt about weather or not to do it, it was is it a hard job. Thanks

·
Registered
710 Posts
Just to clear things up... Ive already Put the JTL Cold air and the SCT Tuner from Brenspeed, Steeda Underdrive pulleys, Bassani X pipe, BBK throttle Body, so there is basically nothing "Simple" to do for decent horsepower. And for the ones who say cams are not worth it.... Well ill take my advice on that from someone who really knows. The post wasnt about weather or not to do it, it was is it a hard job. Thanks
From what is looks...a cam swap that does not require a spring change seems to be an easy job.

G

·
From what is looks...a cam swap that does not require a spring change seems to be an easy job.

Yea its very easy even changing the springs and retainers is easy. just the addition of the springs and retainers adds alot of time to the install.. Still the hardest mod ive done to date is long tube headers. Its ridiculous how big a pain they are to install. Also I think anyone can install a set of cams with the help of a friend.. and the stage 3s i would highly reccomend the springs also you never know when you may wany to flog it when a camaro pulls up to a red light taunting you!!!

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Yea its very easy even changing the springs and retainers is easy. just the addition of the springs and retainers adds alot of time to the install.. Still the hardest mod ive done to date is long tube headers. Its ridiculous how big a pain they are to install. Also I think anyone can install a set of cams with the help of a friend.. and the stage 3s i would highly reccomend the springs also you never know when you may wany to flog it when a camaro pulls up to a red light taunting you!!!
Comp Cams says springs and retainers are a must above stage II.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts

Only time I want to flog it at a red light against anyone is on the track. :nono:

Don't tempt me with this cam install. I've got the cajones to try it. :happydance:

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I say skip the cams and just do Nitrous. The thing about getting the stage III cams is that if you ever go FI you might have to completely rethink your entire build and loose money

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
If the cams are as simple to install as was posted, switching back to stockers (which seem to be the choice for FI guys) wouldn't be that big of a loss. Although dancing around that engine build could make for some headaches.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
THanks guys. Im gonna call Brenspeed in the morning and order the cams. For those of you buying elswhere... Brenspeed sends you free tunes when you purchase your stuff from them...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.