Ford Mustang Forum banner

Thinking of trading up to a 5.0

3K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  V6 Cannonballer 
#1 ·
Hey guys, thinking of trading up from my 2012 3.7, I don't like the look of the '15, they're starting to offer some incentives on the 14's so I want to make a move now to the 5.0. I'm just wondering if there are any major issues with the 5.0 cars with the manual trans any tsb's etc.
Thanks

#2 ·
If you are worried about the MT82, why not go for an auto? Performance wise they are really close to even stock.

#3 ·
If you want a new 2014 GT you'd better move fast, the incentives have been in place for some time now. I brought my car in for service today and looked at the lot and there are a dozen sixers but only one GT. I bought the car here a month ago and they had a lot of GTs at that time, seems many people have the same idea as there are a lot of used sixers on the lot as well.

#4 ·
No problems here, but I dont have a 14 model either. As long as you are comfortable paying more for insurance, and maybe, no definitely more in fuel cost....pull the trigger, they are a blast.

#5 ·
My insurance agent tells me there's no increase for a 5.0, not worried about the increased gas cost, already run high test in the six, just wish I could get past the fact that I'm going to take a bath on the 6 on a trade and just do it.

#24 ·
True. My insurance is the same for both the V6 and the 5.0. As for the increased fuel cost, you might be surprised. The 5.0 doesn't burn much more fuel than the V6. The only time the V6 will really beat it is on a long highway trip. Around the city the difference is non existent or negligible to say the least. No BS, I own both.
I cannot speak to the MT 82 issues as I removed my in favour of a Tremec. ( personal choice) But there are lots of cars around with many many miles on the manual MT 82's showing no issues.
A lot of guys might tell you that the only advantage to the 5.0 is the extra power. True , that is a Major factor. But a 5.0 is a whole lot more car than a V6. Anyone who tries to convince you otherwise is misinformed.
If you sell the V6 privately, you will do better.

Good luck with your decision !

#6 ·
I traded up to a new 2012 GT in November 2013. They gave me $17,000 for my V6 and I negotiated an $18,000 discount on the price of the GT.

Not sure what they would offer you for your V6 now, but it is a year newer than mine was. My insurance actually went down with the GT vs the V6.

#25 ·
wow.gifYou got $18,000 off the sticker on a new car? & I thought I did well with getting $9,000 off on my `13 GT convertible.:shocked:

#7 ·
Just do it. Every time you punch it in a Coyote vehicle, the grin is worth it.

Plus you get to just smirk and ignore it when the V6 or 4.6GT guys downshift next to you on the interstate and try to get you to play. There's no point - they are missing 100HP on you. Why bother risking a ticket over that?

#8 ·
Just do it. Every time you punch it in a Coyote vehicle, the grin is worth it.

Plus you get to just smirk and ignore it when the V6 or 4.6GT guys downshift next to you on the interstate and try to get you to play. There's no point - they are missing 100HP on you. Why bother risking a ticket over that?
Careful.

The V6 mafia will storm in here and tell you about how their car with a $6K blower and $2K in exhaust and tuning will, might, just maybe could beat a Coyote. But its ok though, they paid $4K less for their car when they bought it and save $80 a year on insurance and pay $200 less in gas.

#9 ·
Haha the v6 mafia. I would say yes to getting the 5.0 right now. They are a blast. My manual shifts great with 25k on the clock. Oh yeah the sound is amazing!

#11 ·
I made the leap 3 years ago from a 2010 v6 to a 2011 5.0, and have never looked back. Take advantage of the rebates now, as before you know it all the 14's will be gone. You will not regret this decision :bigthumbsup

#13 ·
I agree with Conejo. You won't regret it. We have an '11 & a '12. I enjoy driving my '12GT more than my '06 Saleen SC which has 100 more horsies. However, be aware of the fact that some of these cars come with idiosyncrasies. Little flaws that some owners are having problems removing. I have one now with my clutch as it won't come back all the way when I'm really on it. We did remove the helper spring but the problem did not dissipate so we put it back on. Next comes dot 4 brake fluid which I've heard could be the fix. Oh yes, and I'm not the only one with this issue.
Another was the clunk or slack in my drive line. I posted on that seeking advice but solved it with the removal of the Pro Cal tuner that the prior owner installed. Who would of thunk.
Don't say it's because of the modifications. Many Of the complaints I've read about on this and other sites were on stock vehicles. And if you modify it while under warranty the dealer will not even talk to you let alone provide warranty service.
All in all, take the plunge. You won't be sorry. This is one fun rocket.

#14 ·
I lost a 1000 trading my base 14 for a 2011 gt/cs, but it was more than worth it. If you can afford it do it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#16 ·
I'm curious as to what incentives there are right now for you guys in the States. Here in Ontario there's a $5500 delivery allowance which puts a 2014 GT/CS manual trans at $38300. I'm also eligible for Ford employee a/x plan? which is good for 4% under invoice which would put the car at the $38000 mark all in out the door. There is no further haggling with the Ford plan.

#17 ·
Avoid the GT/CS overpriced package for ugly wheels and cosmetics. If you can, find a base 3.73 with track pack.

#19 ·
Spdracer: A few recommendations. If you join MCA you get a special discounted rate with the Dealer. I've been told if you're a good negotiator you can do better on your own. I tried to buy a '12 Shelby 500 in November 2012 with the MCA discount and I could not find one.
By the way I found that MCA partnered with Heacock Classic Car Insurance. I insured my '06 Saleen as a classic, quite a reach I know but my premium is $305.00 per year for a stated value of $25,000.00. Woo Hoo! Must have a second primary vehicle. You are limited but the difference between 3k & 5k miles annually was nothing.
You can look for a used 2013. I looked for a 2011 used but actually got my '12 as a internet special for the price I expected to pay for the '11. Besides, owners selling their car seem to think it's worth more than it actually is.
Go through all the auto adds. Auto Trader, recycler etc. Check them all. That's how I found mine. They wouldn't haggle on price with the internet special but it was so low I couldn't believe it. You might find a '14 in that fashion. Get the big brakes, 373's and everything else you can then enjoy.

#23 ·
The TSB was not for the flywheel bolts but the pedal assembly. My Son also just corrected himself. He said my pedal assembly was the same as our '11 GT but actually we are confident it is different. I think the prior owner swapped it out in an effort to solve the problem. It requires more pressure to depress. I know because I'm getting tendinitis from it and not from the '11 GT or the Saleen's twin disk, both of which have a lighter feel. My Son thinks it's a Shelby 500 clutch. We did removed the helper spring but as it solved nothing except to make the pedal harder to depress we reinstalled it.

#30 ·
You're right in the sense that warranty pay is less than customer pay - but the person that takes it on the chin is the tech doing the work. He's the one that is going to rush through your car and slap together a sloppy mess just to get time.

However, the dealer is and was wrong. If theyre going to sell Ford, they better honor the warranty that Ford uses as a selling point for their product.

If you're still within your 3/36, make sure to go to a different dealer. Also, make a complaint with Ford customer service (screen name Deysha) and advise them what the original dealer treated you like.

#28 ·
Care to divulge exactly what the incentives were?

#31 ·
The Coyote will put a lasting smile on your face. As for the MT82, mine has been flawless through 39,000 miles. pony.jpg

#34 ·
Actually if you want a true sports car, you should by a C7 Vette juggle.gif zing.gif

#36 ·
It was actually Ed Learn Ford in St. Catharine's, ON. Check to see if they have any leftover 2013's on the lot. If they do just make them an offer since its near the end of the month.

#38 ·
I went from an '11 Base model V6 to my brand new 2014 - Brembo - 3.73 - Premium Package - Comfort Package - Security Package GT. And am happy with the choice.

Sucks to be back in debt again. lol. But on a 1.2% apr loan, its hard to complain...

For the guy who said that there are small issues with the GTs, I agree! My v6 off the lot had NO issues. My GT however has a few minor annoyances. The passenger door doesn't properly open/shut. Minor paint blemishes. But I can live with those, even though its a $40k car. whistling.gif

#40 ·
My advice for dealing with a Dealer. Dealer's are ruthless. You can't just walk in and get the price you want in most cases. You can if it's an internet special. Bought mine that way and tried to work them without success.
If they have a car on the lot, new or used you have to work them. Several visits or other means of communication.
Here's an example. A person I met was looking at a 2007 (I think) Saleen Extreme. 600 HP at the time. Priced somewhere between $68 & $80K with a dealer mark up if they could get away with it at the time. Few available. He visited with the dealer maybe three times. They came down but not enough. It had been on their lot for well over a year. This was right after the burst of the bubble and few were spending. On his final visit he offered $33k. He was sure they wouldn't accept it. He said he was going to buy a ZO6. As he walked away they ran after him and consummated the deal.
Now this is rare and a sign of the times but you have to work them. Remember, they are professionals and better at this process than us but you have the money and they want it, unfortunately they want all of it.
When money is plentiful and people are spending, it is much more difficult especially if they have something special or a limited edition. If you get the price you want it's exhilarating for months.

#41 ·
I say go for it! I've been fighting the urge to dive into a '15 5.0 but the thought of continued debt keeps me away (one year left on the '11 V6; might as well pay it off and be done). If you can get your hands on a '14 that you like, then manual or not, get it! Don't get me wrong, I love my V6! Plenty of get up and go! But the power-adding aftermarket is still close to flat on its face after 4 years of 3.7 production, and it just isn't worth trying to be "unique" when there really are no choices, save for one or two. 5.0 all the way! Do it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.