Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting convinced to clay my new car I went to a number of places in Sacramento and could only find two kinds of clay - "Clay Magic" and "Mother's Clay" I ended up getting the Clay Magic stuff. It comes with it's only clay lube in it, but I have tons of Meguiar's quik detail if it's better...
Just looking for direction before I do the car this weekend!
Thanks everyone!
Joe

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
ehhh?? clay???:what: clay your car???:eyebulge: WTF??? you lost me... you get that in those little perforated holes in the leather and you'll never get that sh1t out....

·
Registered
444 Posts
On this page there is a thread about detailing tips. I have never used a clay bar, so I can't recommend one. I have read many great things about Zaino products. You can look them up on the net. Their site also has some pretty good tips for detailing. Good luck!

·
Registered
165 Posts
albireo said:
After getting convinced to clay my new car I went to a number of places in Sacramento and could only find two kinds of clay - "Clay Magic" and "Mother's Clay" I ended up getting the Clay Magic stuff. It comes with it's only clay lube in it, but I have tons of Meguiar's quik detail if it's better...
Thanks everyone!
Joe
Claying is actually pretty easy..... Just make sure when you rub the clay on the surface of the car its very moist..... Here is a great place for information on how to clean your car.... This guy actually turned me on to claying.... Ya cant mess it up and your stang will look cleaner and feel a lot more smooth....

http://nino.dnsalias.org/carwash/

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I should have replied in the thread that suggested that I clay it...
It seems like the right way to go!
Joe

GTNOS said:
ehhh?? clay???:what: clay your car???:eyebulge: WTF??? you lost me... you get that in those little perforated holes in the leather and you'll never get that sh1t out....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Try these for help

http:// http:// www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc The most important things I've read are if you drop the clay throw it away and always keep it wet, and yes the detailer spray worked for me. I only tryed a small spot on mine but it turned out great. I think you need to remove any old wax first. Dawn dish soap does the job because it has the right alkalinity to cut wax.http://www.guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=25 Both of these sites have alot of imfo that can help. Let me know how it goes. The rancho walmart had one old can, also call tognotti's. Good luck

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
I have used the Meguiars clay bar with great results, I don't think there is any difference between the brands. By the way, it's cheaper than the Zaino one, I got mine at Meijers, Auto stores should have it too.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
pcfrisch said:
I have used the Meguiars clay bar with great results, I don't think there is any difference between the brands. By the way, it's cheaper than the Zaino one, I got mine at Meijers, Auto stores should have it too.
I used that Finish 2001 stuff and the ads were't kidding. It really does last six months. I don't have Zaino, *yet* but I wonder if it is similar. Anyone tried both? That Finish 2001 really made a huge difference. It was like RainX for your paint and soooo easy to get off the car. If you missed a spot or wiped it off before it dried so you didn't see a stripe? The lightest touch took off the white, with your finger but the paint stayed shiny and beaded water, for months of car washings.

·
Registered
622 Posts
don't waste money on using a quick detailer for lube. water with a bit of car wash soap in a spray bottle works fine. And you get to keep $15 in your pocket for refreshments after.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I just bought Mothers clay and that stuff works great. Easy to use, apply and remove. Leaves a great shine and the paint is real smoooooth.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
wow! i never heard of "claying a car." :dunce: but i sounds awesome, i think i will try it sometime. i got a question for you guys:

color sanding. i have heard of guys doing it to thier new cars to get rid of the orange peel. i know that aftermarket painters usually do it to get that mirror "show" finish, but with the factory one step basecoat/clearcoat polyurethane i am unsure how that would turn out. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
113 Posts
albireo said:
Thanks everyone!
Joe
I'm not sure why you would want to clay a vehicle this new, unless you park it outside, live next to the ocean, freeway or a petroleum plant. Qui potest capere capiat!

I used Maguire’s up until today, when I used Adam's on my 2003 F-150 today. I did half the hood with Maguire’s and half with Adam's. Clay, used detail spray for lube, polished and waxed. There was no comparison!

http://www.adamspolishes.com/

·
Registered
113 Posts
billyb196 said:
I'm not sure why you would want to clay a vehicle this new, unless you park it outside, live next to the ocean, freeway or a petroleum plant. Qui potest capere capiat!

I used Maguire’s up until today, when I used Adam's on my 2003 F-150 today. I did half the hood with Maguire’s and half with Adam's. Clay, used detail spray for lube, polished and waxed. There was no comparison!

http://www.adamspolishes.com/

Demonstration videos are here:
http://www.adamspolishes.com/videos/

Very educational!!!

·
Registered
816 Posts
GTNOS said:
color sanding. i have heard of guys doing it to thier new cars to get rid of the orange peel. i know that aftermarket painters usually do it to get that mirror "show" finish, but with the factory one step basecoat/clearcoat polyurethane i am unsure how that would turn out. what do you guys think?
I asked my body/paint shop about color sanding and polishing my '05 GT. They would not touch it. They said the factory clearcoat is so cheap, the combo of sanding/polishing would more than likely eat through the paint. Then I asked "How about sanding and applying a few more coats of clear?". Not a problem, but expensive! I think I will just live with the orange peel until the time comes for a complete repaint of the car, or I die, whichever comes first. :wavey

Now, back to the regularly scheduled topic...

·
Registered
214 Posts
billyb196 said:
a lot of cars are transported by rail..
the metallic dust left on the cars surface from the trains brakes can really be a biatch down the road
why would you not clay a car w/o ensuring the surface is as clean as it could be before protecting it with a wax??

i like the quick detailer for claying cuz i didn't have to pay for it.. :)
i've had a Meguiar's sponsorship for the past two years until i sold my civic.....once the supply is all gone i'll be going back to dawn and water (25/75) as my lube

every spring i'll do the dawn wash, clay the car and dawn wash again..after that i won't touch straight dawn until the following spring
wax (or Zaino) the beast and use some sort of "car soap" the rest of the year, something designed to NOT cut into the wax
if using Zaino (Z2 or Z5), don't forget the ZFX :D
and the Z6 is the bomb too!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Whiplash-GT said:
a lot of cars are transported by rail..
the metallic dust left on the cars surface from the trains brakes can really be a biatch down the road
why would you not clay a car w/o ensuring the surface is as clean as it could be before protecting it with a wax??
You are right! I totally forgot about the trains and now I do rememebr someone saying something about picking up a black and brownish orange substance. I guess if you live in an area where they salt the roads would be a good reason too.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
2k5GTC said:
They said the factory clearcoat is so cheap, the combo of sanding/polishing would more than likely eat through the paint.
kinda what i thought, but wasnt sure. factory paint is pretty thin... thanks for the info...

·
Registered
785 Posts
albireo said:
Thanks everyone!
Joe
I hope your job came out ok albireo, I used the clay magic before getting the zaino, clay magic also made the detail spray. Did they recommend this? I went out of town for the weekend and could not post. I think you made a wise choice.
Joe

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.