Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
I took my car to the track twice.
First time I took my car it was in December the temperature was 62, and the humidity was around 55. The car was completely stock with factory 3.73 gears, and I did not have any wheel-hop but I did have bad wheel-spin. I launched my car with sport mode on either from idle or at 2000 rpm, because I was not getting anywhere with traction control off. My results ranged from 13.5 to the best of 12.9 with sport mode on, and the two time I had traction control off it was 14.2 and 13.9. I was only able to get 13.0 and 12.9 one time each that day, and the rest of the times were closer to the 13.5.
Second time I took my car it was in May the temperature was 87, and the humidity was around 65. This time installed new wheel and tires, and I also installed cold air intake system. I had little bit of wheel-hop, and little bit less wheel-spin with the new wheel and tires on. I only used the sport mode to launch my car, and I did not experiment with traction control on or off. My results this time ranged from 13.2 to 13.0; it just seemed to me like the car was more consistent this time with the new mod’s.

My Car Mod’s:
Staggered black GT500 wheel 18x9 /10
Sumitomo high performance HTR Z II tires – 255/45-18 and 275/40-18
Airaid Cold Air Intake with no tune required setup
GT500 axle back exhaust

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Do you work for Ford?
Sorry, couldn't resist, :heha::heha::heha:

Great questions though:bigthumbsup
LOL my thoughts exactly when I read the title! Good questions indeed

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ive put over 50 passes on my car and my best stock run was a 13.00 w/ 2.00 60ft on a 70 is degree day. I hold the rpm's at about 2300 and let the clutch slip a bit and give it about 75 percent in 1st, about 90 percent in second, and flat out in the rest. Any more in 1st and 2nd and the tires spin a lot. I run traction cntrl off and avantrac off. Even with a clean launch, using sport mode would always result in a mid to high 13. I also lift quite a bit when i shift so i dont get flung into the wall. I have 235/55r18 stock tires.

·
Registered
277 Posts
With tires, tune and CAI my car went a best of 12.4 in the spring in low 70's to high 60's temps. With the NT05s I roll out of the clutch at 3500 on the last yellow light while rolling into throttle at the same time with just enough power to get some spin/chirp. The wider tire adds a lot of confidence when power shifting into second. I shift 1-2 at about 6800, then 2-3 and 3-4 at about 7200 which leaves me near 6300 on the next gear. With 355 gears I just hit the rev limit pass the line. I will get back out when temps drop below 85. My suspension mods and long tubes will be done thursday but won't race until we get cooler temps. I ran a 12.88 with just a tune/CAI on stock tire but somehow hit a 1.72 60'- got lucky with the stock tire as all my other 60' times were over 2.1. I'm not a drag racer...so launch control is something I need to practice.

·
Registered
439 Posts
2011 auto vert, I ran a 13.3 at 107 car is 100% stock and it was like 90 out. I had zero wheel hop. I went with two camaro SS 6 speeds, I ran better 1/4 times all night they went higher top end at around 109 at around 13.5-13.6. I raced a 2011 v6 with high octane (above 93) and exhaust and it ran a 14 that race I ran a 13.4

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have automatic, tune,aluminum DS and 4:10 gears with DRs. car runs consistent 12.3s @113 mph. Tried Boss intake last week and averaged out runs previous 2 weeks with runs last week. All were at same track,hi 80s/low 90s temps. Car lost 1.5 mph and .2 ET with new intake. Previous 60' are 1.9-2.0 due to very slick track conditions.

G

·
I think people are confusing the Boss intake as a standalone product improvement that will offer gains all by itself. It should be treated as an ingredient in an N/A recipe where everything is working in harmony. The two 10second N/A cars I can think of, both from JPC, had the Boss manifold. Clearly it works in the right application. Perhaps you aren't at that level yet, but that is not to say the Boss manifold is bad.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have automatic, tune,aluminum DS and 4:10 gears with DRs. car runs consistent 12.3s @113 mph. Tried Boss intake last week and averaged out runs previous 2 weeks with runs last week. All were at same track,hi 80s/low 90s temps. Car lost 1.5 mph and .2 ET with new intake. Previous 60' are 1.9-2.0 due to very slick track conditions.

Hey, just woundering if you retuned the car after the installation of the boss intake. If not I would try and retune with the intake and try it back at the track again. Good luck

·
Registered
437 Posts
Manual with the mods in my sig. First time out I didn't have any of the rear suspension bits yet and had a fair amount of wheelhop. Now with the control arms I have zero wheelhop.

I run the rear tires (stock Brembo PZeros) around 23psi. The first couple runs of the day I can launch at 2000rpms or so, letting the clutch out somewhat quickly but not dumping it. After the first couple runs, the PZeros seem to get a little greasy and I have to launch off idle if I don't want to spin the tires.

Best run is in my sig. Keep in mind I'm at high altitude so my times will be around a second slower than a track at sea level. My best run was in high 60s/low 70s temps. I'm planning a trip to Tulsa soon for the closest track below 1000' altitude to see what I can do in better air.

·
Banned
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey , thanks for the response.

No I dont work for Ford, lol.

I have had my '11 to the track once.

And all passes I launched very easy, just off of idle.
Way to much wheel-hop after the power came on in 1st and 2nd gear.

In front of my house, I have done some 4000 rpm launches.
And the car doesnt wheelhop just spins the heck out of the tires.

And that got me wondering about others experiences.

Reading the latest issue of Muscle Mustangs FF.
They launched the '12 boss at 4000 rpm with great reuslts.

Of course the GT and the Boss arent apples to apples.
But again that article got me wondering about others experiences.

Thanks for the input!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bought it 600 miles away on a Saturday, drove it home. Ordered parts on Monday. Two Saturdays later all parts are in, I rent a dyno for 1/2 day and dyno it stock, put on mods, dyno it at 409rwhp with around 700ish miles. Sunday TNT at the track, February, 60's temp, decent humidity. Mods were C&L cai, Lethal o/r x, GT500 AB, 15" Racestars and slicks, BAMA tune, EVERYTHING ELSE STOCK...AND 3.31 gears. I

Here's a video of my very first pass in this car, 809 miles on the clock, 5 years since racing a manual car, taking it easy first pass, no speedshifting, launching @ 5500 and sidestepping the clutch.

Mikes 2011 Mustang - Car Videos on StreetFire

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh yeah, next pass, lowered tire pressure, launched a little higher rpm, shifted 1-2 quicker, but no speedshifting, was my pass listed in sig. The guy filming figured 8.0's, maybe, maybe a high 7 if I was lucky, that's why he laughed so hard at the end.

G

·
Hey , thanks for the response.

No I dont work for Ford, lol.

I have had my '11 to the track once.

And all passes I launched very easy, just off of idle.
Way to much wheel-hop after the power came on in 1st and 2nd gear.

In front of my house, I have done some 4000 rpm launches.
And the car doesnt wheelhop just spins the heck out of the tires.

And that got me wondering about others experiences.

Reading the latest issue of Muscle Mustangs FF.
They launched the '12 boss at 4000 rpm with great reuslts.

Of course the GT and the Boss arent apples to apples.
But again that article got me wondering about others experiences.

Thanks for the input!!
Wheelhop comes from the suspension loading up to the point where the stock rubber bushings can absorb no more then let go of the stored energy like a rubber band. This causes the suspension to snap back to it's original position and the tires to spin until they grab then start the process again. This happens several times per second and makes a hopping motion.

The reason you don't notice it too much on the street is because there is less grip and less opprotunity for the tires to grab and load up the suspension. The reason most aftermarket suspension components are polyurethane or solid ends is to greatly reduce or eliminate the deflection that causes the rubber band effect. Instead you get a consistent and stable loading of the suspension and more grip.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would never drag race my car, since Ford doesn't like that as far as warranty is concerned. However, a good friend of mine who happens to have an identical car *cough* ran a 13.11, don't remember the trap. Stock aside from some axle-backs. He launched at about 2500rpm, rolling into throttle as traction would allow. Pretty gnarly wheel-hop when it did cut loose. This was in a hot and humid area -- probably low 90s with considerable humidity.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had mine at the track around March. It was just over 60 degrees which is a little cool for the summer only tires on the Brembo package. First couple runs I had terrible wheel hop. After that I started doing mild burnouts to heat up the tires, zero wheel hop after I did that. My best on stock tires was a high 12.9. I didn't rev much at all, i just kind of feathered into it to reduce wheel spin then it was balls out after that.

The drag radials that I put on later in the night were on a 17" wheel and were much shorter(Came off my brothers 03 Cobra) so I had to shift and extra time before crossing line so I only got down to a 12.8 something.

I had a blast and ran my car 13 times that night. Once it cools down I will be back to see if my exhaust makes a difference.

My times are in my signature and the car was completely stock with regular tire pressure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts