Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got me gears installed today and they told me to not really get on it for about 500 miles, that is a long time to kinda take it easy, i was wandering how long yal waited befor yal started driveing normal (normal meaning a bat out of hell) getting on it pretty good thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
The steeper pitch of the gears the longer you should wait for them to break in.
As a catch all gear installers always say take it easy for the first 500 miles. It's good advice.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Here's a previous (and pretty lengthy) AFM thread that I was involved with, on this very issue...hope it helps!

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48447

P.S. After Dixi's 3.73 install, my mechanic's instruction was basically...don't drive her "into the ground" hard...just pretty much like you usually do...and it'll be fine. It was, and is.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I waited for a little over 150 miles before taking the car to the track.....and absolutely no problems. Install was good to...just as quiet as the stock gear set.

G

·
i got the 3.73 gears in my other stang and raced it home from the shop on the same day with my buddies camaro....havent had a problem yet and that was 3 years ago...

·
Registered
177 Posts
i had 4.10's and they said that heat is the worst prob. so dont go on any road trips. but i had to go from orlando to tampa that night. i did stop and eat a sandwich on the way there and back to let them cool down. when i got back to orlando i ran into a 2002? saleen, and had to use them. so thats how long i waited.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My 4:10's are not even a day old. My shop (HPP) told me not to worry about breaking them in. They whine like a biatch tho - got to have it looked at again.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
blackened said:
My 4:10's are not even a day old. My shop (HPP) told me not to worry about breaking them in. They whine like a biatch tho - got to have it looked at again.
What brand did they install? I had to have mine replaced because of the singing, but I think the shop was up to no good.

·
Registered
324 Posts
3.73's are not going to need much of a break in. Larger then that and they will start to need to be broken in correctly. Just because some of you are saying you have no problems yet the key word is "yet" and that doesn't mean you never will.

·
Registered
171 Posts
sonny1213 said:
What brand did they install? I had to have mine replaced because of the singing, but I think the shop was up to no good.
FRPP's. From everything I've read they're the only ones that don't whine - if installed right of course.

On a side note, I did call the shop back today to tell them about it - even told them I'd pay for the labor to tear it down again because I just wanted it right. They immediately said no way are you going to have to pay for that to be redone. Rightfully so I guess but those HPP guys, I'm finding out first hand are top notch. I don't even mind so much going back to have this redone because sometimes stuff just happens. If your in the DFW or surrounding areas HPP is the place.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Why don't a lot of people get 3.90 gears? Wouldn't they be better for highway driving (which I do a lot of)? I know this is kinda off track, but I'm just curious because I don't see a lot of people with the 3.90s...

G

·
i havent had a problem yet...in 3 years...if i have a problem with them after all this time i dont think i'll attribute it to improper breaking in...as for 3.90s..i really dont know...everyone seemed to think 3.73 was the best all around gear

·
Registered
324 Posts
Don't you have3.73's? Not much of a break in needed for those anyway.

nghtrnnr said:
i havent had a problem yet...in 3 years...if i have a problem with them after all this time i dont think i'll attribute it to improper breaking in...as for 3.90s..i really dont know...everyone seemed to think 3.73 was the best all around gear

·
Registered
171 Posts
re: 3:90's, if i could go back i think i would have gotten them instead of 4:10's...just b/c my routes. if i'm not on an incline i start out in 2nd else i'm barely done letting the clutch out of 1st before i'm ready to shift into 2nd.

been taking it easy on them anyway cause i've got some whine and don't want to F them up if the pinion angle is off. but this am on the way in i hit it till about 1/2 way thru 3rd and WHOA :eyepoppin

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thats not true. You need to break in all new gearsets, no matter what ratio. The proper method is to bring them up to operating temperature (usually a nice long drive around the neighborhood) and then allow them to cool. Repeat this 2 more times and they are as broken in as they ever will be. Then you can start driving the hell out of it again. If your gears are making noise right after the install then they put them in wrong and they are not meshing right and it will create a wear pattern and they will always make noise. Sorry.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts