Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about having gears put in, but what happens if you need to bring the car in to Ford? If you have short gearing and go back to a stock tune what happens? I have the tuner to make everything work with a tune, just wondering what happens when it goes stock.

·
Registered
627 Posts
It does not work well, my 2011 3.7 had 2.73 went to 3.73s.
If you at 40MPH it will read a lot more like 50mph. I called SCT and they told me I could not change the stock setting to 3.73.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I figured, and thats exactly what I want to do, go from 2.73 to 3.73. So that only leaves 3.31 gears that the stock ecu can handle,.......and Im not sure its worth $500 for a relatively small bump in gearing.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Ford told me that if I used FRPP gears and had a Ford dealer install them, it would not void my warranty. He joked that with the speedo being off, I would be adding miles to my odometer quicker and my warranty would expire that much quicker. He was only joking.

So really, what would be the big drawback? You return the car to stock, bring it in, and tune it when you get home. No big deal really, IMO. And the the difference will be sick!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ford told me that if I used FRPP gears and had a Ford dealer install them, it would not void my warranty. He joked that with the speedo being off, I would be adding miles to my odometer quicker and my warranty would expire that much quicker. He was only joking.

So really, what would be the big drawback? You return the car to stock, bring it in, and tune it when you get home. No big deal really, IMO. And the the difference will be sick!
Im in an auto...doesnt it jack with shifting, too? I called my Ford dealer a few weeks ago, they told me they only put in the 3.31s at a labor cost of $900!!+ gears!

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
On a manual transmission switching back to the stock tune for a while won't hurt anything and the car will run fine but on a automatic it will affect the transmission function.

The upgrade to 3.31's is about 60% of the change to 3.73's. It's a significant change, worth a couple of tenths in the quarter.

The dealer is outrageous for gear installs. If you get the gears installed elsewhere and then get the 3.31 factory tune downloaded at the dealer then you will only affect the warranty on the rear axle.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice, Im going to call a few dealers Monday and see whats up with them flashing my car for the 3.31 gears, knowing how stuffy they are around here they will either A) charge me both an arm and a leg, or B) Tell me they wont do it at all.

·
0 Posts
If u get the gears in and tune the car witb an sct turner the speedo will be correct, I wouldn't wanna spend $1000 for a $400

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I just reached out to Bama to re-do my tunes. I initially had my tunes for the stock gearing. When I installed the 3.73's, I manually changed the gear ratio in the settings before re-tuning. Too much jerking and lurching when the converter unlocks in the lower gears. I'm hoping they will write the tune to take advantage of the 3.73's.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Yeah, thats pretty common. Good point. Any time that you get gears in an auto, make sure that the dealer adjusts the mph for shifting and converter in order for it to be 100%. The end user options will do the speedometer, but other work is recommended on the back end of the tune.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Yeah, thats pretty common. Good point. Any time that you get gears in an auto, make sure that the dealer adjusts the mph for shifting and converter in order for it to be 100%. The end user options will do the speedometer, but other work is recommended on the back end of the tune.
Initially I thought they didnt do my tune right because I checked the gearing options and it still had "stock" selected. When did that stop being an option that bama selected?

In any event, I am happy to report that thus far, the jerking, lurching, clunking, and other crazy things are gone. Upshifts feel good (Race tune). Downshifts are still a tad hard, but I'm thinking thats the nature of the tune. Aggressive going up, aggressive coming down.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm def. looking forward to going from 2.73 to 3.73 gears.

Anybody else who has a 2011+ V6 MANUAL Mustang with 3.73 gears, can you share your experiences of the difference?

Thanks

·
Registered
580 Posts
I went to 3.73s in my 2011 3.7 mid april before I sold it and let me tell you a few things one being without a tune you will hit your factory speed limiter at just 85mph!
Two the car is ridiculously more fun to drive you are always just a roll into the throttle away from the powerband no matter what gear your cruising in:kooky: My hwy rpm at 70 once corrected was right at 2300rpm that's with 245/45/18 tires which are not quite as tall as the stock 225/60/17".
Your mileage will suffer some I lost about 1.8mpg average in my daily commute but that also could have been because I was running my 93 bama race tune with them*long story don't ask why I didn't run a perf tune:nono:
And it's really hard not to roll into it all the time with the gears&tune.
Also be aware that your exhaust if you have an aftermarket one installed will sound markedly different at 2300+rpm cruising then it did at 1800 or so rpm of the stock 2.73s.
I had zero drone with the pypes with either ratio but def more noticeable volume at 2300+cruising then 1700-1800:winks
And still averaged right at 24mpg in my daily commute where before I was 25.5-26.2mpg stock tuning stock gearing.
So not a bad trade off I think for the 3.7 and 5.0*my buddies got a 11 5.0 premium 3.73 manual* the 3.73s are the perfect gear for a good daily driver.
If you however plan to autocross or drag race 4.10/4.30 or even 4.56 gears are the way to go along with about a 7200rpm rev limiter:yup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts