Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I do not dispute the measurable gains in using a CAI system and had one on my 1998 GT convertible. However, a recent visit with a buddy has me thinking on the whole theory of the system. He has a VW R32 (sweet ride) and has a CAI system installed in it. To install it, he had to remove the air box (naturally), the battery, inner fender liner, etc. so that the intake could be installed low near the front bumper. Most of the CAI systems I am aware of for Mustangs simply draw the air in from the engine compartment. It stands to reason this air would be hotter than outside air drawn in from near the front bumper. I am also aware this could present problems if driving the car in heavy rains as it could also draw in the water. However, doesn't it make more sense to draw the "cooler" in take air in from outside than it does to draw it in from inside the engine compartment? Is there a company that manufactures a kit like this for the Mustang? Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
767 Posts
"Most of the CAI systems I am aware of for Mustangs simply draw the air in from the engine compartment. "

What systems are you referring to? I have a Steeda and it has a heat shield separating it from the engine compartment, it seals against the hood, and is only open to the hole in the fender area that gets air from the front of the car. As far as I know, C&L does theirs basically the same way.

But yes, I agree. Cold Air is just a buzz word with the CAI systems that are out for the S197 cars.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts