Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have none of these issues but I have been reading about them. All of this sounds horrible but I have some thoughts on it.

First people complain about the clunk getting worse as it gets warmer out. This makes sense to me because the bushings will probably get marginally softer as the temp rises. A soft bushing that already clunks will probably clunk and pop worse if it gets even softer when it's warm.

The LCA TSB and ECAS failure. I'll bet the reason that ford can't get a LCA design that does not make the noises is because the bushings are probably too soft. But then If they make the bushings stiffer they will induce the ECAS issue with their factory replacement control arms. This would end up costing ford a ton of cash in warranty work. Creating a tough situation for ford. Replace control arms sometimes multiple times. Or replace the control arms once and the steering rack once. Which ends up being cheaper? Probably the control arms because it looks like for most guys replacing them once fixed the problem. At least till the car had no warranty left. Then it's no longer fords problem.

Just my thoughts on it and if anyone else already came up these theory's I apologize. I haven't read everything on here yet.

So what do you guys think. Is there merit to my theory's here or am I off in left field?

·
Premium Member
6,070 Posts
All valid points, and I have never really given it much thought, myself.

I expect a certain amount of creaking and groaning going over speed bumps (etc) in any vehicle, and neither of my Mustangs clunk when that happens-but you are probably right.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had another thought. For the guys who get the EPAS issue on stock control arms. Are they also on stock tires or do they have something stickier with a rigid side wall that would transfer road feel better. Having the same effect as a stiffer control arm bushing?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Horrible vibration caused by the electronic power steering assist system. Usually happens to guys when install stiffer front control arm bushings. Sometimes it happens when the car is stock. Just search EPAS. You will get plenty of info on it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I still have that stupid issue with the lower control arm.. They say that they fix it twice... But still have that stupid issue... If I start to have a Horrible vibration issue then I'm done with ford...

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The vibration is induced by changing to stiffer aftermarket control arm bushings. Once in a while some stock cars have th issue but not too often. You probably won't have a problem if your still on stock control arms.

·
Registered
228 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts