Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I like the matte black on black. Much more than white on black. I don't know much about paint so I wonder if they just spray the matte over the clearcoat? They don't clearcoat the matte afterwards, right? I wonder how it would hold up. My last Mustang was Vista Blue coupe with a matte spoiler and I really liked that.

·
Registered
168 Posts
matte black paint is VERY susceptible to water stains/water marks.

RWSRWS

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've had vinyl matte black stripes on for a couple of years. With normal use, you are going to get wear and tear. You have to be very careful about removing any stains or dried bug or bird poop. If you don't soak them enough, you'll rub too hard and leave rub mark. A rub mark leaves a slight shine which it noticeable under certain light and angels. I use a detail-er on them with good results.

The rear bumper below the trunk is also susceptible to scratches. I ended up pulling 'em off, taping it, and spraying 'em on with a flat black rattle can. Also I've used a car cover since I've had them and even under windy conditions, they won't scratch.

Here are the sprayed stripes. The match is very close, and when they scratch, I can just lightly sand them and spray again.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Looks sweet, but I'd agree with not painting them. Unless you have money to burn (and even then, 2400 can net you a whole load of other nice upgrades) vinyl should be just as good provided you take care of them. Heck, at that price you could just re-do the vinyls if they get worn for much cheaper haha

·
Registered
168 Posts
looks sweet, but i'd agree with not painting them. Unless you have money to burn (and even then, 2400 can net you a whole load of other nice upgrades) vinyl should be just as good provided you take care of them. Heck, at that price you could just re-do the vinyls if they get worn for much cheaper haha
=========================================

+1

rwsrws

·
Super Moderator
1,642 Posts
They look nice as is. If they get worn and messy down the road, just replace them. Much cheaper than a paint job.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was just quoted $700 for a matte black double stripe on my 2012 GT. Does that sound too high? He said he was using the highest quality vinyl.

·
Registered
69 Posts
For the price of paint you can purchase matte black stripes and have them reapplied every few years for the next 8-10 years...or more, depending on vinyl condition.

If you intend to keep the car forever...paint them and be done. If not, keep the vinyl and have them reapplied when they start looking bad to you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I like the subtlety of the black on black stripes. My dad has a 14 GT500 with the black stripes and they are a pain to take care of. Really need to get them painted on.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well, I can't find any place that will do them for less than $700. Too much for me. Rather put that money towards a blower.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts