Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pick any brand of "rad fix in a bottle" stuff, most of them will say something about leaving it in your cooling system to protect against future leaks. Now I take that with a grain of salt but read on...

Since it looks like the head gaskets are my car's weakest link right now (specifically in boosted applications) my thoughts are revolving around different ways to fix that. The front runner idea right now is to buy an older 4.0 SOHC engine from the junkyard, build it up right and be ready if disaster hits.

But lots of things need money, am I right? :hihi: Anyway I was thinking about it and how often the cooling passages through the head gaskets are the point of failure. So I was wondering if I threw in one of these products as a preventative measure would it atleast reduce the chance of a blown head gasket. Even reducing the risk by like 25% would be well worth it, these things only cost a few bucks afterall. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
That stuff cruds up your cooling system and heater core.

I put some in my Jeep because of an emergency. And had all kinds of problems afterwards.

Clogged passages... over pressure... leaking control valves.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Just about any "fix-in-a-can" isn't worth the problems it can cause. Fix it right and it will stay fixed.

Frank

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree with everyones post...funny thing is I work for Subaru, and they have massive headgasket issues dating back to 1999 when they swithced to SOHC, and in every single one of them we are REQUIRED to put this junk in every car we drain coolant on as "preventative maintanence" or else the headgasket warranty is voided LOL. I realize we are talking completely different animals here, but it makes you wonder if there is any merit to it whatsoever. I've never liked the stuff personally and still dont. Something about a magic little bottle that costs a dollar and change claiming to stop leaks kinda turns me off haha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.