Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an S197 today with the GT logo badges removed from the fenders. It gave the car a very clean look on the sides, and it also seems to me like that would be fewer crevices to detail and remove wax. But mostly I thought it looked nice.

Any opinions on that? Any suggestions on the best way, other than dental floss and goo gone?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Tedz Pony said:
I saw an S197 today with the GT logo badges removed from the fenders. It gave the car a very clean look on the sides, and it also seems to me like that would be fewer crevices to detail and remove wax. But mostly I thought it looked nice.

Any opinions on that? Any suggestions on the best way, other than dental floss and goo gone?
The trouble is that you will be left with two small holes on either side, so a trip to the body shop will be in order...otherwise it sounds good to me.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I plan to remove all the badges from my car at some point. I may leave the pony in the grill but even that may go.

·
Registered
534 Posts
AirGoNomyk said:
The trouble is that you will be left with two small holes on either side, so a trip to the body shop will be in order...otherwise it sounds good to me.
I think the GT badges are 'stuck' on, not drilled in

·
Registered
87 Posts
vantage said:
I think the GT badges are 'stuck' on, not drilled in
On '06 (probably '05 & '07 too) the front fender emblems are stuck on with two holes each for alignment. I wish they didn't put the holes there!

I pulled mine off to install some graphics. The trick is to use a heat gun, quite sparingly and not too close. I guess dental floss might work, but I used a thin (1/4") piece of wood and a small bladed screw driver. Gently pry from one edge and be patient. Said another way, apply pressure with the screwdriver and wait for the emblem to lift. Plan on three minutes to remove the whole thing if it is warm and you are going slowly.

Keep them clean, and they will stick right back on. If they dry out, go to a body supply shop and get adhesive.

Taking off the front grill pony emblem isn't as practical. Look from the engine compartment side and you will see why.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was afraid of that. I don't care quite enough to go to the trouble of having holes filled and painted. I took another look and decided it looks kinda plain anyway.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Solution for "plain"

I used a hair dryer and just kept waiting till it got "warm" to the touch [about 30 seconds].

Used fishing line to slip behind the badges [they are *plastic*!!] and they came off amazingly easy. There are, indeed, two alignment holes.

Then I used alcohol and a cotton ball, to remove the old wax and crud and tape residue, if any.

Then.... new badges :)

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts