Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my auto with the sequential shifter I have on it, no regrets. But lately I've been contemplating doing a manual swap. The idea came about when discussing an engine build project and the fact that doing an engine swap with an automatic is a royal pain. Since my 'stang's an auto I've spent about 5mins thinking about manual transmissions over the years...

So...swapping an 07 GT 5R55S to a manual. Maybe T56-mag. Discuss...

(Oh, forgot...eventual target is the 600hp range, probably going to get cruised a lot more than raced these days...unfortunately.)

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well, as long as you're up for the labor then go for it. I'm not sure about the technicalities but I would go for that t56 if you're going for a bunch of power too. But in my case, I just changed my clutch out with my buddy last weekend... Yeah, I'm never buying a manual again. That was too much of a pita.

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
there is a thread on here somewhere from a guy who just did an automatic to manual swap, and now the car won't start

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there is a thread on here somewhere from a guy who just did an automatic to manual swap, and now the car won't start
I know you have to add two new switches for the clutch and neutral in order for the computer to allow the car to start with a manual (auto has a different sensor for the selector switch). There's also apparently a way to reprogram the PCM to speak manual instead of automatic.

On my route it may just be easier to buy a new computer, especially if I end up swapping to a coyote-based engine (jury's still out on that idea). I'll have to rip out everything in the engine bay anyway (because who the heck does an engine swap and doesn't take the chance to dress up the engine bay at the same time?).

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
trade car in for 11-14 6m 5.0 and save the headache and money. find a 13-14 track pack car and enjoy. just my .02$ good luck

·
Registered
615 Posts
The hardest part for me...was sourcing the parts.

I did this in June.

I'd ask yourself two things.

A: Are you keeping it? If not how are buyers in your area.

B: How often do you travel?
Because cruise control is going out the window.

I didn't do a write up, didn't document my project.
But I'll run it down.

Pedal assembly
Hydraulic line to master cylinder
Clutch line
Manual speed sensor
Tyranny
Flywheel
Clutch
Pilot bearing
Bellhousing bolts(better to buy the kit)
Shifter with linkage rod
Tuning.
Depending on how thorough you want to be.
Manual engine harness for your year
05/06 interchange
Past that I'm not certain. Best to stick with your year for PIN input and such.

You don't NEED an ecu. You may get lucky having someone tune the auto features out.
I wasn't.
I went to Ford. Used the VIN from Google of a totalled 06 GT MT. And we reprogrammed it.
Personally, I have no kill switch.
I can just turn the key and start it.

I used a wiring diagram and simply fed a tiny wire between two pins on the connector on the auto harness. Taped it neatly and stuffed it away.

The manual and auto (06) wiring for the VSS are exactly the same. Color and all.
I simply cut the auto off, and soldered the manual.

Reverse lamps took a little more finess.
I personally ran wiring from the center console plug to the switch on the tranny.

Sorry it's not the most informative, but a glimpse of the work.

Getting the auto out is simple. Just unbolt things.
manual goes in easily as well if you are familiar with manuals in the least.

For what it's worth.
I didn't touch my longtubes.
Came right out and slipped back in.

And if you have back issues...I highly discourage doing it on the ground with jackstands.

Anything more, feel free to ask and I'll go more in depth.

Overall, not really more difficult than let's say a header swap.
Just a bit more involved.
For the wiring...Google is your friend.
I did my wiring under the car with my smartphone.

All in all I spent $1200 on my swap.
That was months of eBay and forum haunting.

Simply "buying another car" couldn't compare financially.

But I plan to keep it.

Something to heavily consider.

As for cruise control.

I've read of people doing this down to the point of sourcing year specific harnesses, pcm, everything.
Still didn't work.
Thusly even over on S197, it doesn't seem to have been figured out.

Past losing that, no issues. Was up and running after two days of email tune updates and finally reflashinh at Ford.

Lastly.
If you do the reflash.
Specifically the way I DID.
Don't assume the new pcm code correct.
Just read what strategy code pops and call for your updated tune.
Mine through Ford registered tgf1 or such.
After using the strategy code. Bama let me know it popped in their system as TSG1.

Just a heads up if you "resurrect" a wrecked car.

·
Registered
615 Posts
"Yeah, I'm never buying a manual again. That was too much of a pita."

I've made the personal choice of saying.
I know how to do it.
I just don't want to. Haha

Mine's going to a shop clutch time.
Let them pump the pedal all afternoon haha
Not hurting my feelings

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The hardest part for me...was sourcing the parts.

I did this in June.

I'd ask yourself two things.
Thanks for the info!

I'm still gathering all the facts and details. Good catch on the cruise-control, that's interesting. It'd be interesting to route the Ford manual and see if any components are missing. I wouldn't be opposed to just getting a new PCM already setup for a manual (in the scheme of things the cost is minimal). Depends on what route I go with the engine. The coyote's are nice but I like being different. :p

trade car in for 11-14 6m 5.0 and save the headache and money. find a 13-14 track pack car and enjoy. just my .02$ good luck
Trade my baby in? You must be off your GD rocker... :mad:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I'm not trying to steer you away from upgrading your baby. I'm just saying that if you don't want to deal with all the headaches that Mr.Faststang went thru plus all the ones your going to run into by going with a Coyote, the easy answer is getting a newer car with what you want already built in, turn key and haul ass. the money alone is going to be enough to almost pay off a 13-14 track pack car, well maybe not all but at least half. I really enjoy working on my car and do all the upgrades myself. there is no way I'm going to have it sitting on jack stands for 6 months to a year while I try to get all the electronics and what not to work, making this bracket or wondering why the dash lights wont come on or "Ive got fuel, air, but no spark", ah damn, the abs and wrench light are on for some reason, GD what a hassle. Hell, keep your baby and get a new 5.0 to go along side it in the garage. good luck

·
Registered
615 Posts
Agreed.
If you are DEADSET on keeping your car. Then it's viable.

If there's any thought of trade or selling.
Don't do it.

By now I'm fairly certain my car is WORTHLESS.
Not that it's bad or a total hack job.
But it's far beyond the point of a random cai or some gears and mufflers.

I spent a good amount of time weighing my options when I finally decided to hunt parts.

Knowing full well the issues known, and the trade off.

Manual control, some freed up HP, less weight.
No cruise control, and having to figure out my reverse lamps.

FOR ME, it was a good idea.
This car will have to be totalled before it leaves my possession.

That's the point.
Before you get deep with mods.
What's the vehicle's lifespan with you going to be?

A few years, or until it falls apart?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Honestly, if a coyote is in your plans...
There are two ways.

Buy an 11+

Or find a donor and spend a lot of time completely swapping everything into yours.
I'm talking everything but the frame/sheetmetal
That route could be under 6k if you do it yourself and have a decent complete donor.
I've been watching prices.

Also if you go manual that route, everything will work flawlessly.

But that's beyond time consuming.

Which goes back to my earlier post.
Just how attached are you to your car?

Because if a coyote swap is in the mix.
This would be the ONLY time you'll ever see me say, "you may want to just go buy one"

I've only seen the "donor swap done twice"

One guy paid for the labor
One guy did it himself.

Both took about two weeks.
But both run flawlessly.
We have an "2012" Legend lime 5.0. (2005 GT)
And a "2011" v8 swap.(08 V6)

Obviously these two individuals were dead set on the 05-09 looks with the 11-14 powertrain.

One was very costly.
Both took a long time.

But this is a decision only you can make in the end.

Reactions: Jeremy Weigel

·
Registered
84 Posts
FastStang, I have seen the Legend Lime car you refer to. He even swapped the seats, door panels, outside mirrors, and dash. He also swapped over from a manual to an auto. There was nothin left to the donor car but sheetmetal and glass. Finding a suitable donor is the hard part. He went to California to get one. Wasn't cheap or easy, and he used a guy that had experience doing this type of swap.

·
Registered
237 Posts
For the things I can't do myself (or don't want to),I go to a shop run by a guy who is building the Mustang HE wants. He started with a 1969 Fastback shell, removed the strut towers, put in totally new front suspension, sourced a Coyote engine and 6 speed manual, and I believe a Ford 9 inch rear end. He had it all together, then took it apart for a trip to the paint shop. My point here is if you REALLY want a particular Mustang, and have the money, time and temperament, then JUST DO IT. You will get what you want, hopefully, but you may never get your money back out of it.

Incidentally, the guy I'm talking about has a Super Snake as his Sunday driver, and the rest of the time, he drives either his old F-100 pickup with a Cummins engine swap, or a late model pickup. Some guys just know what they want.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm pretty attached. Plus I do all my own wrenching. Pretty much the only two things I don't do are engine-tuning (because I don't have the equipment) and machining (don't have the skills or equipment). Anything else is either stuff I know how to do, or something I see as a challenge and learn it. (I've been finding that the number of people who spin their own wrenches is dwindling...and that's pretty sad.)

Anywho, I'm not sure there's an auto to manual swap that would cost enough to justify buying a new car just for that. I mean, even if my 07 was stock and I was only interested in the transmission bits, I still couldn't do much more than put a down payment on a new loaded GT for what it would cost to buy the most expensive manual trans, clutch, etc. Maybe if I paid someone to do the labor it would get closer, lol, but yeah...

A donor car may be a good solution for all the parts and bits for all the other projects. Don't think I'd be interested in doing all the effort for a stock used coyote, though. Going that route I'd be buying a crate coyote, probably the SC version, then get the fuel, PS, AC, alt, etc from the donor. Trick is finding a donor for cheaper than sourcing the parts. There's a lot of little parts, sure, but they don't add up to more than a couple grand, and they come new and clean in little labeled baggies, LOL. A donor comes with a confusing mess and some *******'s face implanted in the dash.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gah, this is such an annoying decision!

I'd love to switch to a manual for the fun project, making engine swapping much easier, and the fun of a manual.....but at the same time I live in an area with a lot of traffic and I like being able to daily-drive my car to work and for errands and also the consistency at the drag strip and the fact that I already have a built automatic capable of handling power...

Grrrr...choices, choices...

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've found after actually paying for a tune.
My car has become much more tolerable in heavy traffic.

That said, I've a bad knee.
And I did the swap, wrote off cruise control.

Sure there are days I limp around when I get out of the car.

I can say three words.

"Still worth it"

Gained mpg, picked up 38hp, shed weight.
Regained the ability to downshift, and really have some fun in the corners.

And best of all, who can deny the fun of a 5k clutch dump?

But like I said, it worked for ME.
I knew what I wanted, weighed the pros and cons.

I just make sure to pop an ibuprofen before any extended drives. And DRIVE.

cheers!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have never claimed to be a mechanic.

But in my case, I just changed my clutch out with my buddy last weekend... Yeah, I'm never buying a manual again. That was too much of a pita.
Years ago, I replaced the clutch and pressure plate on my 1977 Dodge Colt. I had jack stands under the rear axle. I was under the car and holding onto the rear axle, with my face under the differential, and using my foot to try and push the transmission back into place.

While I was pushing on the transmission, the car started rocking back and forth on the jack stands. AIIIEEEEE!!!!! The car did not fall off the jack stands, and it had all four wheels attached, but if it had dropped the differential would have bounced on my face.

I got it all back together, but you are right. It was a PITA. Mechanics really do earn their money.

This car would look like my Colt if they removed the roof racks. I put BMW emblems on the hood and trunk as a joke. Then girls at the community college I was attending started saying to me "I didn't know that you had a BMW". I said ...... "It's an older model".

1977 Dodge Colt.jpg

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Two ways to downshift an automatic on demand (there may be more): Use your shifter, or use the throttle logic to force a downshift by pumping the throttle. For the 5R55S, switching out of O/D will drop you from 5th to 4th (5th is just overdrive). Then select down from there. Or just give the throttle a short stomp and and it'll downshift.

·
Registered
53 Posts
hi there
i see this is an old thread but i have the same issue with my 08 gt. mind is auto. and i like to have a manual swap. but i know there's a lot of labor on it.
my main question is ,what do you do with the pcm and wiring harness i was told .that kind of swap is impossible since the pcm is programmed to auto tranny and not to manual as well as the harness,also you need to raplace all harness inside the dash so all component will work.
since i live overseas id like to do 'my homework' in the right way .

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts