Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I'm going to get the windstar kit from VAP.

My dad had this idea rather than getting a cold air intake, he wants to make a ram intake.
He wants to do this by plumbing the piping down, placing the air filter low by the holes in the bumper. He argues that this air would be cooler. So essentially he would be creating a "long ram intake".

What are your thoughts on this versus a fenderwell intake?
The price would be relatively cheaper for his idea. I'm just not too sure about it's performance.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Don't drive in the rain and its a great idea, otherwise put the filter in fenderwell, rain in intake equals no fun

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will there be a horsepower boost over a cai?

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Will there be a horsepower boost over a cai?
A true ram air is like a scoop and it forces air into the system. An open filter in the opening of the bumper aint gonna do chit except suck up more dirt, water, bugs. MAYBE +3 HP if you're doing 90mph or over lol.

The any difference in temp would be negligible. If it's in the fenderwell like a typical CAI then it's still getting the fresh air coming though the bumper. I bet that with your dad's idea you will actually loose power due to a longer pipe run and more bends = more restriction.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
More pipe to retain heat as well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm gonna use plastic and probably fabricate some sort of shield for the bottom of it.

So what I'm gathering is the cai is smarter?

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
yep. anything else is just unnecessary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts