Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum...happy to be here!

Want to add Accufab 70mm TB...question is, will the stock MAF restrict performance and should it be upgraded. If so, who makes one?

Alternatively, is the VAP Windstart Kit better performance and value?

Thanks!
Phil

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
you arent gonna gain anything by goin to a bigger tb. The 65mm tb will flow a heck of a lot more hp than you are making now.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Listen to him!!! I'm just planning ahead with mine:hihi:

As to VAP yeah it can be a good valve if you don't have the availability to make your own kit, and if you do get Steven's kit it would be pointless to get the bigger tb unless it's through him since you won't be able to use it with the remote iac setup, I liked the kit it had EVERYTHING you needed (parts not tools) to make the swap out quick, but I you can save your money and go to the junkyard and if you stick with the Windstar tb it's a pretty simple swapover

Yes it has good power gains for a simple swap

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good advice, Thank you both! The BBK 65mm is a bit cheaper than the Accufab 70mm, yes...and Steven's kit now comes with a 65mm option as well...

With the stock upper, the intake port is, I believe 62mm, which is no problem for the stock TB...but with a 65mm TB and no reducer (as in the Accufab setup), the port needs to be enlarged to at least 65mm, does it not?

Seems a simple enough procedure, but is it worth the trouble at this (beginning) stage of my mods?

Thanks again!
Phil

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
dude you dont need a tb at this point. The stock one will be fine for a while. I ran a 56mm to about 500hp at the wheels, and i then im upgraded to 65mm. Not really best bang for the buck at this point. Dont always think that bigger is better!
The windstar intake on the other hand would be a good investment. If you really want more power, then nitrous or hci would be in your future as well. You can also make the car accelerate quicker with gears as well.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
You don't have to port the factory upper intake on the mustang, mine matched just fine, didn't notice any over hang on the other side, the Windstar intake is a tad smaller like the 62mm you mentioned, so yeah you can port that easy, it's just plastic, if you go through VAP he will do it for you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome advice, my friends! THANK YOU!

'Stang On!

Phil

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Although I have different beleifs on TB size than most guys... I agree, at the point you are at, its a waste of money.

But, the BBK 65 will bolt up to the windstar intake and fully open without opening the TB inlet. The Accufab 70mm will also fit on the intake without modifiying it if you have a little spacer. It will open all the way, but it doesn't help much unless you open up the TB inlet.

I will post up once I get mine on. I am putting a Accufab 70mm on my 01 with the windstar intake.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK Stalker, I will look for the 70mm post...

BTW, where did you find your black hood scoop on Daily Driver?

Very nice setup!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
E-bay. Its clearanced (by me) for a windstar intake. When I get a cowl for it, I will probably sell it......

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
E-bay. Its clearanced (by me) for a windstar intake. When I get a cowl for it, I will probably sell it......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts